Traverse Forum banner

Have you suffered damage to the AC line due to a rubbing power steering line?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had the AC line near the firewall, the one that eventually runs to the back, rubbed on by the power steering line in front of it and damaged? If you have, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to, and the attached photos will look familiar.

For three years, I've fought with a low pressure AC suction line at the firewall that was rubbed and eventually punctured by a power steering line. This may or may not have been a result of the dealer pulling the engine to do a timing chain replacement three years ago. At any rate, it started leaking shortly after the timing chain work and the dealer wouldn't take any responsibility. They put in a splice kit, but it never sealed properly and I haven't had properly functioning AC ever since due to the leak. It would cost well beyond $1000 to get it fixed since the line is part of a four line bundle that runs to the rear.

I'm mostly looking for some safety in numbers as I may be reaching out to GM corporate about it. I've found numerous threads with the same issue, but no poll to come up with numbers. Here's an example thread: https://www.traverseforum.com/7-tech-section/3317-c-leak-1700-replace-hose-rear-c.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen this year. I ended up just putting some JB Weld around the line to seal the hole and put a piece of rubber tubing around the power steering line to prevent the coupling from rubbing. Happened in May and it hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had handled it similarly. Instead, I let the dealer install a splice at a high cost that didn't seal properly. I've coated it with JB Weld, but it didn't seal properly, so it's now wrapped in fiberglass/resin. It seals mostly now, but still has a very small leak. Very frustrating.

Did you have previous engine work done? I'm wondering if there's a correlation between dealers not reattaching a bracket properly or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 Enclave, but thought I would participate in your poll (close enough, right?).

After reading about your A/C line rubbing issues, I immediately looked into the wife's car (the Enclave). I will see if I can get you a good picture, but there is no contact between the A/C line and power steering line in her car...It looks like there is ~1 inch of clearance between the two, so no rubbing, thankfully.

I am not sure if this is a Traverse specific interference, or if it could be related to the engine work you described, but I agree this is a frustrating issue!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a feeling that it has to do with the engine work as we didn't have any issues in the years before it was done. Does your Enclave have a bracket holding the power steering line in position?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a quick look over the weekend, and it looks like there is a bracket that holds that power steering line off the back of the engine on the driver's side of the car. It definitely does not wiggle and is pretty well secured. If yours has any amount of play in it, I would suspect that may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'm not sure if it was specifically due to a bracket not being attached, or because the power steering line was pinched or bent in a position it shouldn't have been. After our service, the power steering pump was very noisy. A few months later they put in the splice, and the pump was then quiet and the line repositioned. It seems that they fixed its position to cover their tracks.

I'm reaching out to GM Canada this week to see if they'll do anything. If not, we won't even be looking at GM when we are shopping for a new vehicle next year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GM Canada ultimately washed their hands of the issue and told me I was on my own, so I ordered a rubber rear ac line kit from Ebay and installed it a few days ago. It was definitely a pain to install, but the quality of the kit was great and it's working well, while costing much less than a full ac/heater core line set from GM. In the process of removing the old lines, I found that one of the O rings in the splice that the dealer put in had clearly slid out of place and was sticking inside the line, which would be why it was leaking. At any rate, no leaks and functional ac was a nice reward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you had the AC line near the firewall, the one that eventually runs to the back, rubbed on by the power steering line in front of it and damaged? If you have, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to, and the attached photos will look familiar.

For three years, I've fought with a low pressure AC suction line at the firewall that was rubbed and eventually punctured by a power steering line. This may or may not have been a result of the dealer pulling the engine to do a timing chain replacement three years ago. At any rate, it started leaking shortly after the timing chain work and the dealer wouldn't take any responsibility. They put in a splice kit, but it never sealed properly and I haven't had properly functioning AC ever since due to the leak. It would cost well beyond $1000 to get it fixed since the line is part of a four line bundle that runs to the rear.

I'm mostly looking for some safety in numbers as I may be reaching out to GM corporate about it. I've found numerous threads with the same issue, but no poll to come up with numbers. Here's an example thread: A/c leak $1700 replace hose to the rear a/c
Same thing happened to my 2011- oddly I also had the timing chain replaced before the AC quit. Here’s a pic of the damage done to the low pressure AC line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts