Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 4x8’ plywood sheets today and put them in the back of my 2021 Traverse. Yes I know the liftgate won’t close the whole way. I was prepared for holding the sheets in place by using a ratchet strap. What I wasn’t prepared for is the lift gate doesn’t have a single eyelet to tie a rope or strap onto to keep it closed as much as possible while driving. This seems like a miss on Chevy’s part. I ended up using the hook from a second ratchet strap to wrap around the inside handle enough to keep the lift gate down. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that for many miles. And just in case anybody is wondering, I turned off the power lift gate when hauling the plywood.

Has anybody else hauled sheet goods in the 2nd gen and, if so, what creative method did you use to keep the lift gate closed as much as possible?

·
Registered
2010 LT 3.6L AWD
165 Posts
Maybe what I do will work for you too.
I bought a 2" welded steel ring from the hardware store and push this up into the tailgate latch until it closes over it. Then use rope, bungee, or ratchet strap hooked to the hitch or the latch hoop to pull the tailgate down. I use a leftover infant carseat strap because it's nice & short and
has closed hooks on both ends that won't vibrate off.

The ring pops right out when the latch is opened.

Vehicle Automotive tire Window Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe what I do will work for you too.
I bought a 2" welded steel ring from the hardware store and push this up into the tailgate latch until it closes over it. Then use rope, bungee, or ratchet strap hooked to the hitch or the latch hoop to pull the tailgate down. I use a leftover infant carseat strap because it's nice & short and
has closed hooks on both ends that won't vibrate off.

The ring pops right out when the latch is opened.

View attachment 11488
Very Clever. I like it better than what I do so will give it a try. BRAVO 👏

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i bought the welded ring that Guy48065 suggested. It was a whopping $3 🙂 and works well. Just make sure you turn off the power tailgate before you put it in the latch. Mine started moving when I unlatched it even though the liftgate was already open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts