Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With info gleaned on the Acadia forum I will order this week a Fumoto drain valve http://www.qwikvalve.com/home.php

With info gleaned on the Acadia forum I am very confident that the required parts are F-107 Valve w/Nipple & Adaptor ADP107. These for sure work with the 08 Lambdas and unless you know otherwise I believe the oil plug is identical in the 09s i.e same location, same size and same threads. Anyone know otherwise?

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
very interesting.
I know I drained the oil in out 07 Impala the other day- and that plug and oil were hot. Still changed it anyway. :eek:hno:
But this seems nice--- the only concern is that depending on exactly where and how the oil plug is pointed--- it be concerned about something snagging that lever--- and opening the valve--- while youre driving...

You know-- maybe a plastic bag on the highway- a piece of cardboard a branch--- etc...
If theres any pics of it installed no a Lambda-- id like to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the info. The unit with the elbow nipple together with a length of plastic tube passed through the transom drain is just what I need to easily drain oil from the Mercruiser engine in my boat.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm concerned about using it here with all the road salt. I wonder how easy the lever would move after the winter of salt and sand.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Putting aside the many advantages of such a device one does consider the possibility of a total lose of oil due to a failure of the FUMOTO. However based upon the product's extensive history and very widespread use this seems very very unlikely. But of course if one can't sleep :scared: because of such a concern for sure dont buy it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update:

Both parts came today. I was able to take it to my mechanic also today and have him 'install' the FUMOTO while of course at the same time doing an oil change. For sure I started the car and he rehoisted it to check for any leaks. All seems fine. The only problem was that I forgot about the original drain plug left at the shop. Ill go back tomorrow :-[.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Close-ups of the valve on our Traverse. It is an action shot as the oil is draining!

This FUMOTO has the nipple but I keep forgetting to bring any tubing :eek:hno:. It would for sure be a good idea to use itas when one first opens the valve the oil shoots out hitting the brace in front and travels all the way down it...messy.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
You need to get a little piece of soft rubber tubing to slide over the nipple so it is cleaner and doesn't hit that piece of metal.

Looks good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rbarrios said:
very interesting.
I know I drained the oil in out 07 Impala the other day- and that plug and oil were hot. Still changed it anyway. :eek:hno:
But this seems nice--- the only concern is that depending on exactly where and how the oil plug is pointed--- it be concerned about something snagging that lever--- and opening the valve--- while youre driving...

You know-- maybe a plastic bag on the highway- a piece of cardboard a branch--- etc...
If theres any pics of it installed no a Lambda-- id like to see.
I have one of these on my 08 Acadia and love it.

I had the same concerns of it coming undone suddenly going down the road or for whatever reason. The lever has to be lifted out of its closed/rested position and pivoted to open. The spring mechanism that holds the lever seems really good and snug. I had a spring loaded hose clamp that I placed over it to be sure it didn't release accidentally. I lost it when I removed it to change the oil one day, so I picked up an E-Z clamp from pep boys. Small package fo 3 of them. They are screw tightened hose clamps but have a black plastic wing nut type attachment so no tools required to remove it or install it. Works well. here is a photo of it at the bottom.

I also was concerned about it leaking or failing in total. So i put the old drain plug in the glove compartment. Figured if I had a leak or total failure atleast I had the plug with me and only needed to locate oil in an emergency instead of oil and properly fitting drain plug... But so far no leaks since install :thumb:

Copper Glad your happy with it, Using tube attachment works well, and I just drain mine straight into the milk jug.

15 Posts
Anyone ever considered installing an oil filter relocation kit/remote oil filter kit? (They go by both names.)

Trans-Dapt makes several models in both single filter and dual filter configurations. I think the dual filters are in parallel from the look, but the description makes me wonder if they are in series. In either case, I will be installing the single filter relocation kit along with the Fumoto Qwikvalve in about a month.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thermonuclear_Cookiedough said:
In either case, I will be installing the single filter relocation kit
I look forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Maybe I'm not a true man! But why do some of you change your own oil? Is if the cost (cheaper), satisfaction, or knowing it is done right?

I guess I just don't see the point in this fumoto, so it makes draining your oil easier however it could possibly open by accident? What happens if something does happen, maybe because of failure of the fumoto or maybe just by a freak accident, will GM cover this under warranty or no because this fumoto is there? I dont know off the top of my head but I would guess I spend maybe $150-$200 a year on oil changes, nothing that is going to break the bank.

Not starting a :angryfire: just wondering why you would buy this and why you change your own oil? Is removing the stock drain plug that hard? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Maybe I'm not a true man! But why do some of you change your own oil? Is if the cost (cheaper), satisfaction, or knowing it is done right?

Not starting a :angryfire: just wondering why you would buy this and why you change your own oil? Is removing the stock drain plug that hard? :cheers:
For me, I change my own oil because I used to change oil for a living in college. I know what CAN go on in those places. Now I changed for a dealership, so we probably had more strick reg's to stick to, but I know for a fact that some of the places that specialize in oil changes, not naming any names, don't have the best rep. around here for things happening to your car. I've heard of oil not actually even being changed, but sure thing you got charged for it.

I change my own, because I KNOW it's done right, and it's something I like doing, to get out of the house for a hour or so.

I'm with you though, I don't think I would use a drain plug replacement like stated above, becuase it isn't hard at all, or time consuming for me to use a ratchet to unscrew my drian plug. I'm not trying to win any speed awards.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tiestosteele said:
But why do some of you change your own oil? Is if the cost (cheaper), satisfaction, or knowing it is done right?
Knowing that it is done right is the over riding concern for me. And there is actually much to check re doing an oil change just right. Also doing it oneself gives one a bit of...flexibility re the oil and filter one is able to use ;) (as compared to what one would be required to install going to the dealer).

Tiestosteele said:
I guess I just don't see the point in this fumoto, so it makes draining your oil easier however it could possibly open by accident?
Having the FUMOTO valve does make an oil change easier i.e for sure much less mess with no chance of over torquing the drain bolt into the aluminium sump pan.

And for those of us who may be faced with doing an oil change in the winter I much prefer just opening the valve to drain rather than taking extra time under the car in the wet and cold.

This valve has been on the market a long time now. It is very well made and there are so few reports of catastrophic failure. It is well protected under the Lambda frame and for those who want extra protection one can obtain a clip to doubly ensure that it does not open.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I change my own oil because---
I have a place to do it.
I have all the tools.
Im a do it yourself type--- (If I can do it- why would I pay to have it done?).
I like to buy my oil and filter on sale- and have it ready to go.
I like to use AC Delco filters.
I like using Valvoline Dino.
I like to drain oil and get a good idea if the engine is using any oil.
While under the car- I give it a look over for other issues.
I like to actually put in the right amount of oil.
I like to reset the OLM.
Makes you feel good.

Actually im at 5,360 miles since my last oil change-- and at 48%. Based on my previous 2 UOA- the oil is still ok- but time to start planning for an oil change--- it comes down to changing the oil in the next 1,000 miles--- pretty much when I have the chance to do the work.

15 Posts

I guess I just don't see the point in this fumoto, so it makes draining your oil easier however it could possibly open by accident? What happens if something does happen, maybe because of failure of the fumoto or maybe just by a freak accident, will GM cover this under warranty or no because this fumoto is there? I dont know off the top of my head but I would guess I spend maybe $150-$200 a year on oil changes, nothing that is going to break the bank.

Not starting a just wondering why you would buy this and why you change your own oil? Is removing the stock drain plug that hard?
I didn't see your post as trolling at all. Quite the contrary, actually. Casual readers of this thread may be wondering the same thing, but not enough to reply and ask.

I agree with copperbeech and GXPWeasel that knowing it is getting done right is by far the overriding factor. Excluding any intentional corner cutting, people still make small errors when pressed for time, and these oil change technicians are definitely pressed for time, often working on multiple vehicles (that are nothing alike) simultaneously to save time. I don't like this.

Being a maintainer by trade, I know that sometimes even with the best intentions, hurrying to complete something even as simple as an oil change can result in missed or incomplete or rushed steps (some of which may be time compliant and really should not be rushed). This is even more of an issue as the task complexity increases. And then there is the fear/possibility of blatant wrongdoing and chicanery to be considered as well.

Also, I may be totally alone on this one, but I wouldn't think so: For those of us that do our own oil changes, increasing the convenience of doing so is definitely worth a little extra money, even if it brings the total cost up to that spent going to a dealer. Convenience is worth a lot when it amounts to decreased suffering through burns, scrapes, cuts, and crushed fingers, lying on cold, wet concrete in the winter for a single second longer than necessary, or worse, lying in snow (I live in Montana).

I could make arrangements to nullify most of these things if I tried to, but I can't tell you how many times I've just said, "F*ck it" and crawled under the car as it was parked on an inclined frozen driveway or even in the street if necessary. A Fumoto would make this situation a, "Whatever" and ten seconds under the vehicle instead of a few minutes fighting with the bolt and making a mess. I've done dozens of oil changes (but less than 100) and I can count the number of times I haven't spilled a drop anywhere on one hand. I always try, and usually am defeated by splash.

Oh, and there is the coolness factor for pimping out your ride. Duh!

If the Fumoto somehow opened and your engine was damaged due to lack of oil, the warranty would certainly *NOT* cover it. It would fall under both improper maintenance and unrecommended modification to the engine. But only if something bad happened. It's a personal gut check on that decision. You have to realize that if you changed your oil and put the factory plug in and stripped the threads, causing oil to leak (which doing so wouldn't, but humor me here), the warranty would not cover the damage in this case either, because it could be shown that you did improper maintenance that ultimately caused the damage.

The Fumoto is no more likely to unscrew than a regular drain plug. It sticks out more, but is protected by an engine brace/kick plate, and also doesn't point toward the ground, so it isn't any lower, making the risk of breaking it off extremely low. As for it opening, I haven't played with one myself, but I will, and I can tell you that as long as the spring holding the lever in its detent is strong enough, no amount of vibration or jarring, crashes included, will move it *at all*, and as the lever is very small and protected, nothing will "snag" it.

You have to consider that a 4 lb spring pressure (pretty light) divided by a lever and spring weight of a few grams represents an acceleration equal to several hundred, maybe several thousand (off the top of my head) G's, meaning that in the absence of direct physical contact imparting motion on the lever, the amount of acceleration due to vibration needed to overcome the initial spring preload to cause it to move in the first place would be enough to destroy the entire vehicle and all it's occupants. Who cares about oil at that point, right?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered a FUMOTO for my 2009 Traverse LT2 and could not install it due to there not being enough room to thread it all the way on. I have had it awhile and guess I am just stuck with it. Anybody want it? You really have to go out of your way to avoid getting oil all over the bottom end.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts