Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this before in other GPS, the route calculation seems to want me to go around in circles: see image below...

The picture shows the NAV screen right after I put in an address. The roads are perfectly flat, and the "circle" is about a block square. Why didn't it just tell me to take a left? I just wonder why they haven't fixed problems like this. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. Grrrrr! Oh well, I can find some humor in it. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe the nav unit comes from Japan or China and all the nav units have an inside joke going on in their little nav world. I could see it now, they're sitting back in their little dash compartment, laughing, and yelling SILLY AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does it give you an option to take a different route? I thought that I would have liked to have the nav unit in my Outlook but realized that it would not get much use and the $$$$ it cost's as a option.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Proves yet again that computers aren't smarter than people (well, most people, anyway).

Faulty or outdated mapping software, probably.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Garmin Nuvi has a setting where it can route you to minimize making a left turn into your destination. For example, instead of turning left in the middle of a block, it will route me around so that I will turn right. I guess this is for those who are afraid to turn left in the middle of a block with oncoming traffic. :eek:hno:

But that isn't quite the same as your looping problem. Just wondering if there is some setting in your NAV system that is causing this.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
i wonder if the above is related to what UPS did recently....
they found that by setting all their deliveries on a route where they only make Right turns.... helps them save tons on gas...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone I know gave me a good reason why this might have happened. I had just entered the destination, then took off before it finished calculating and by the time I'd reached the intersection in the map it was figuring out that I might miss the turn. What he believes occurred was that the nav system thought the turn was too close to make, so it was already ahead of the game and figured out an alternate to get me back on route. Not sure I buy that, but it might be a possibility. This is the 2nd time that this has occurred to me, and it was a similar situation that it happened the previous time. Anyway, at least that's a possible idea.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rbarrios said:
i wonder if the above is related to what UPS did recently....
they found that by setting all their deliveries on a route where they only make Right turns.... helps them save tons on gas...
Actually, I think UPS did it for safety reasons. Making a left turn with oncoming traffic is one of the most dangerous times ever for any vehicle.
I don't think they can save gas when they may have to go a block out of the way to wind up making a right turn, instead of a left, say to enter an apartment complex driveway.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Narg said:
Someone I know gave me a good reason why this might have happened. I had just entered the destination, then took off before it finished calculating and by the time I'd reached the intersection in the map it was figuring out that I might miss the turn. What he believes occurred was that the nav system thought the turn was too close to make, so it was already ahead of the game and figured out an alternate to get me back on route. Not sure I buy that, but it might be a possibility. This is the 2nd time that this has occurred to me, and it was a similar situation that it happened the previous time. Anyway, at least that's a possible idea.
I suppose that's possible. But my GPS system only re-routes me AFTER I missed the turn. C'mon, what kind of a NAV system is it that thinks I can't make that turn at 40 MPH. >:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts