Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2018 still in 36K/3 yr warranty period and want to buy an extended warranty—the platinum
any suggestions for best dealer/best price
we don’t want a 3rd party vendor—just GMC coverage
appreciate info from anyone who waited to buy after initial purchase

·
Registered
200 Posts
What I did;

Found my way to the "official" GM extended warranty site on-line, and filled in their form to get a quote.
The next day I got a call from a dealer in SE Michigan offering me a deal. Told here I needed a few days to think about it. A few days later she called me back and offered a better price. This happened twice and I ended up with getting the Platinum Plan 84 months/75K miles for $1554.00. Did I leave money on the table? who knows - but I am happy

PM me if you want more info on the dealer that made this offer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I did;

Found my way to the "official" GM extended warranty site on-line, and filled in their form to get a quote.
The next day I got a call from a dealer in SE Michigan offering me a deal. Told here I needed a few days to think about it. A few days later she called me back and offered a better price. This happened twice and I ended up with getting the Platinum Plan 84 months/75K miles for $1554.00. Did I leave money on the table? who knows - but I am happy

Was that Knapp dealership? I saw an ad from there online...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes it was Knapp.
I bought it about two months after we purchased the Traverse.

The final price for the GMPP was about 1K$ less than a similair plan my dealer offered thru Ally

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have purchased extended warranty for James Black Cadillac in the past; they were best price then as well, and very easy to work with. Glad to hear they are maintaining that market position.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have 2018 still in 36K/3 yr warranty period and want to buy an extended warranty—the platinum
any suggestions for best dealer/best price
we don’t want a 3rd party vendor—just GMC coverage
appreciate info from anyone who waited to buy after initial purchase
You are referring to AMT Warranty Corp. and Wesco Insurance Company as the underwriters of the aftermarket GM policy. It works similar, if not exactly like the GM warranty you get with the new vehicle.

Protection Plan | Chevrolet Protection

The above website will help you with navigating to the "dealerships" that sell this policy. Shop around as they will all have different prices because it's sheer profit for them (minus the hour it takes to see the vehicle, fill out the forms and take your payment).

Truth be told, usually if you purchased this policy within a few months of the vehicle purchase, the price would have been much lower.

That aside, the price will be based on the vehicle specifications when purchased and its current "condition", since you have waited over two years to shop for this policy. Make sure the "deductible" is $0 per visit.

This is truly the best option for aftermarket GM protection. I added a JPG of my Reg Page.

Keep posting...

·
Registered
160 Posts
What I did;

Do you have link to the online site? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I need to be educated here. I usually never get extended warranty.

1) What is the reason the extended coverage cost more if you don’t get it when you just purchase the vehicle? I contacted James Black and for about the same coverage @cuzed2 purchased it is $1000 more now that my Traverse is close to three years old an has about 18,000 miles (his coverage was 84 months when new and my quote was for 7 years starting when I purchase it - so guess getting 3 more years coverage). (For 7 more years coverage or 84,000 miles it was about $2100 for $100 deductible and $2450 for no deductible).

2) They suggested to get the $100 deductible for about $350 less telling me most vehicles don’t have have 3 or more issues.

(Added - after thinking about it the Cuzed2 warranty was 84-36= 48 extended months. If my quote is indeed 7 more years like he said that starts when I purchase that is 84 extended months then they ratio to the same price - unless I'm missing something?)

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
353 Posts

1) What is the reason the extended coverage cost more if you don’t get it when you just purchase the vehicle? I contacted James Black and for about the same coverage @cuzed2 purchased it is $1000 more now that my Traverse is close to three years old an has about 18,000 miles (his coverage was 84 months when new and my quote was for 7 years starting when I purchase it - so guess getting 3 more years coverage). (For 7 more years coverage or 84,000 miles it was about $2100 for $100 deductible and $2450 for no deductible).

2) They suggested to get the $100 deductible for about $350 less telling me most vehicles don’t have have 3 or more issues.

(Added - after thinking about it the Cuzed2 warranty was 84-36= 48 extended months. If my quote is indeed 7 more years like he said that starts when I purchase that is 84 extended months then they ratio to the same price - unless I'm missing something?)

Thanks
Mike
I think your last paragraph is the key to the cost difference.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@mbg
Just sent you a couple of emails (including the phone number for Knapp motors where I purchased mine).
Perhaps worth some comparison shopping against the Cadillac dealership that has already quoted you?

·
Registered
77 Posts

Thanks
Mike
Everybody "wants a deal" - human nature, being frugal. Understand the transactional details and you will see the economics of it all.

The cost rises after time because it's a pressure tactic to get you to buy it immediately.

But then again, the cost of the same warranty goes up due to your wear and tear on the vehicle, regardless of your opinion that those are all highway miles and it has always been parked in the garage next to grandmas car.

Oh and BTW, get the $0 deductible, because it could add up after multiple trips to the repairman.

Playing dice is pure gambling, when you don't know what the odds are...understand the odds and you understand what you are paying for.

Paying around $1,500 for a 3 year/39K mile warranty (GM Platinum Protection Plan) on top of the 3 year/36K mile factory warranty is the cheapest thing you can buy for your brand new Traverse.

You will need them both!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts