Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered wheel locks from my dealer. Part #17802466. I put them on, but it seems like you could remove these things if you had a pipe wrench. I actually grabbed one of my pipe wrenches and could grab enough of the lock that I know I could have turned it very easily if I had wanted too. There is simply too much of the lock sticking out from the rim. Has anyone else noticed this? I wish I could find shorter locks, but the ones at the local parts stores aren't long enough and the stud bottoms out before the lock actually seats against the rim. Any help or ideas would be very helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got mine from GM parts direct and they don't fit. Threads are too small, but they are real short. I bet they would bottom out if I could get them on.

Ray

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Yes had the same problem had to go with an aftermarket one I found at Pepboys Auto parts there a bought 1/2 Shorter then the ones the dealership sells.

8) Steve

·
Registered
551 Posts
VB - LTZ said:
:) Yes had the same problem had to go with an aftermarket one I found at Pepboys Auto parts there a bought 1/2 Shorter then the ones the dealership sells.

8) Steve
How much were they? Mine too stick out too much, when I saw them I was like WTF? I just figured it was better to have them on and I delt with them being longer. If I can pick some up that fit and are not too expensive I will do that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) They were around $15.00 here is what I did. I took off one lug nut the size is
14MM 1.5 R.H. then I checked out all the ones they had a Pepboys, they have some that are too small and look like you are missing a lug nut. The ones that the dealership gets are the exact same size as the Mcgard locks so they are to long also the ones I ended up getting were and off brand that look like the Mcguard Locks but are the right length.

8) Steve

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought wheel locks for one of my past vehicles. They were a little different in that the locks were for all the nuts on a single wheel, not just one. Looked fantastic, and quite easy to use. Just needed a special wrench socket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone can buy a set of "easyout" reverse sockets to remove wheel locks. I've used them many times at the tire store I worked for. People spend money on locks then always seem to misplace the key.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) The set I got from Pepboys looks just like the Mcgard locks the key dose not go all the way around the lock to prevent the key from slipping off like the Mcgard dose but it is the right length. The ones the dealership sells are two long by a bought ½ inch.

8) Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts