Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People can say what they want about GM standing for "Government Motors" like I hear sometimes, but the General had a lot of good things going for them long before the recent market crash. Fresh styling and the broadening of appeal are areas where there are numerous bright spots.

Take this story for example: One of the guys in my office (he drives a Tahoe) recently married a 26 year-old, college-educated, young lady who drives a Lexus IS. They're planning to start a family soon and what new car does she have firmly in her radar? The new Cadillac SRX is what!! A Cadillac that appeals to 20-somethings!?!?! Lincoln sure as heck can't make that claim.

GM and Chevrolet have more hits coming with the Cruze, the Volt, and the new Buick Regal, to name a few.

·
Registered
66 Posts
andylibby said:
People can say what they want about GM standing for "Government Motors" like I hear sometimes
I wholeheartedly agree with your post - but they could be called "Government Motors" for a while given all the bailout money they needed...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
our other car is an 07 Impala.
I like the car. thats why we bought it...
though I dont like the base LS and LT's... the rims and tire combos ...

So we bought the 3LT-- with the spoiler, larger rims, dual exhaust, fog lamps.
this way it looks much better.

But we chose the car over the camry and accord. We made a good choice.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It appears the Impala has appeal to the police depts, but the general public has not made the Impala a high volume seller. The pricing is OK, but the style is suited for police car duty.

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just wait until the new Caprice is released.

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/

It's based on the Holden Statesman (Australian long-wheelbase version of the deceased Pontiac G8) and will be a far better upgrade than the current impalas out there, in both performance, and utility, for police duty.

I agree with others, the track that GM is gearing towards now is on the upswing. Hopefully they can continue this momentum and come out a real competitor once again.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
The Impala sells very well- VERY well- with minimal advertising.
Whether it be public/fleet-- it sells alot of cars...
GM has little incentive to currently update any of it--- it is an aging platform-- theres most likely a replacement on a newer platform- rumors---
but really no incentive to update the vehicle- drastically-- as in dump alot of money on it.
From what Ive read-
It currently makes GM plenty of money- the R&D- and other money spent on the platform and tooling- was paid off LONGGG ago- and so any money the Impala brings is-- is no longer used to pay for the initial investment- so profit.
Id still take an Impala over any "Camcord"-- especially with Toyotas current fiasco.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Narg said:
Like the Malibu? That car blows the competition away in every aspect.
Now, the Malibu is what you see plenty of, on the highways.

The Impalas, what there are, are black and white and parked at the local donut shop.

Bob

·
Registered
277 Posts
I also had a '10 Malibu as a loaner car. I preferred it over the Impala. Sorry rbarrios. The Impala I got to drive had its shifter on the wheel... I didn't like it. The wood looking stickers on the interior does not appeal to me.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Here in LA- very few depts use the Impala as a police car..
I think they used them- and didnt like them--

they are using the Crown Vics- and chargers.
The chevy dealer a block away from my house has about 6 of the impala black and whites sitting on the lot.
I dont think they are too popular for police pursuit duties...
I think they are being used by PD for non patrol duties----

I think they will buy the new caprice though

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
littlebadboy said:
I also had a '10 Malibu as a loaner car. I preferred it over the Impala. Sorry rbarrios. The Impala I got to drive had its shifter on the wheel... I didn't like it. The wood looking stickers on the interior does not appeal to me.
My Impalas shifter is on the bottom--
Also- ebony interior with the 'wood' dash. fake-- but wood---

heck my 1970 monte carlo- also has a 'wood' dash (the same dash on the Malibus/chevelles were all black).

but its interesting- because the missus- says- all her female coworkers comment on her interior...
they say they wish their cars had the space- and look of her impala... black interior..
I get the feeling- they like the simple dash/controls- over the hondas, acuras, BMW's....

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
several weeks ago-- at a bday party- one of her coworkers was talking to me---
she said- did you drive your new car ? (she was referring to the Traverse)... I said no-- we drove her Impala....

she said-- ohhhh her impala- I like her car-- every time I ride in that car- I fall asleep- its so roomy and quiet- and its always cool when we get in...

(she was referring to the remote start- and auto cooling- none of their cars, BMW, Acuras, Hondas, Mitsubishis have that).

so I though to myself---- ohhh she must drive a Honda accord/civic....

When we left---- her husband was driving an Infiniti EX or FX- some sort of small SUV... and I thought.... wouldnt that car be smoother/quieter than the impala?
She must have been referring to what ever she drives.
But- they all like the Impala for its room, quietness, cool interior, and how it has no trouble getting up the big hill to get up to their bldg...
several of them have commented that the car doesnt have trouble on the hill- with 5 women and AC going...

oh well....

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
well, now that I drive the Traverse every day-- when I drive the impala-- it feels noisy and bumpy.
then again- its suspension is 'sportier' compared to the Trav..
tires are also low profile- (I think it has 18 inch rims). etc... so I notice a difference.

but Ive grown accustumed to the traverse.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
littlebadboy said:
Oh I was not able to drive the Impala loaner car for long to notice the ride. Perhaps, I should!
LOL ..... just don't fall asleep while driving.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
Here in LA- very few depts use the Impala as a police car..
I think they used them- and didnt like them--

they are using the Crown Vics- and chargers.
The chevy dealer a block away from my house has about 6 of the impala black and whites sitting on the lot.
I dont think they are too popular for police pursuit duties...
I think they are being used by PD for non patrol duties----

I think they will buy the new caprice though
On our recent USA trip, we saw many Impala police units on the road. The fastest car out there can't out run the police radio !

Bob

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
youre right--- they seem to be more popular elsewhere... (I Notice this on COPS- the tv show)- they use Impalas quite a bit in other states.
I see the LA sherrifs dept use Impalas- but theyre all white-- with the sheriffs logo..
most of them are Civilian process servers - units- you know they show up to deliver some kind of legal document.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
In the August 2010 issue of Consumer Reports, 20 family sedans were evaluated.

The Nissan Altima was rated #1 out of the 20, the Chevy Malibu was rated #9 out of 20 and the Chevy Impala was rated #19 out of 20.

17 out of the 20 were considered to be "recommended" .... but the Impala did not make that list.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts