Traverse Forum banner

Who thinks GF-6 is a big step up?

• I dont, and consider it a marketing ploy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pennzoil pays for the licensing for Dexo's approval on the PP.

Good point, it's better to have if the car is still under warranty.

GF-6 is the important part.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Have been using Walmart's oil for awhile in my 15. Don't know, but suspect they'll upgrade to GF-6 before long.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your engine blows up they are not going to analyze your oil to see if it's Dexos approved or not.
They want to see oil / filter changes.
ANY full synth. is better than the minimum Dexos semi synth. oil by a mile.
Magnuson act may come into play with the Dexos also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had to make an emergency trip to Wallmart tonight for Cat treats..... ( long story).... Stuck my nose into the automotive section and IT'S HERE! GF-6!
View attachment 9466

Price isn't bad either.....
View attachment 9467
The Ultra Platinum is a few dollars more, but not stocked on the shelf. You have to order it.
View attachment 9468
I have a 1600 miles to go before the 10,000 mile service. This is what I'm putting in.....

Then, do the mail in rebate for $10 per jug.... and the net cost is $14 per 5 qt. jug. Outstanding!!
View attachment 9469
Based on what I've seen on the Pennzoil web site the $10 rebate is an advertising gimmick. You must have bought the oil from one of their "participating" dealers to get the rebate and they show the list. (Send in your receipt) None of the major auto parts dealers are listed, NAPA, Auto Zone, Advance, OReily's, Pep Boy's and so on plus none of the big box stores or Internet sellers. So if you buy at Wal Mart, that's your purchase price.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your engine blows up they are not going to analyze your oil to see if it's Dexos approved or not.
They want to see oil / filter changes.
ANY full synth. is better than the minimum Dexos semi synth. oil by a mile.
Magnuson act may come into play with the Dexos also.
You're probably referring to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Magnuson Act of 1943;

The Magnuson Act, also known as the Chinese Exclusion Repeal Act of 1943, was an immigration legislation proposed by U.S. Representative (later Senator) Warren G. Magnuson of Washington and signed into law on December 17, 1943 in the United States.[1] It allowed Chinese immigration for the first time since the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, and permitted some Chinese immigrants already residing in the country to become naturalized citizens. However, the Magnuson Act provided for the continuation of the ban against the ownership of property and businesses by ethnic Chinese. In many states, Chinese Americans (including US citizens) were denied property-ownership rights either by law or de facto until the Magnuson Act itself was fully repealed in 1965.[2]

Front of Walmart oil bottle.

IMG_20200701_160706.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oil Life monitor told me to change my oil the other day, so I decided to change oil in my '09 last night. Picked up the GF-6 Pennzoil and a K&N HP-2011 filter and changed it all out. I absolutely hate changing this filter on a hot oil change....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Oil Life monitor told me to change my oil the other day, so I decided to change oil in my '09 last night. Picked up the GF-6 Pennzoil and a K&N HP-2011 filter and changed it all out. I absolutely hate changing this filter on a hot oil change....
It does suck. I usually do most of the draining and refilling and then do the filter. Being upside down there's not a ton to drain so I let it cool down a little bit.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts