Traverse Forum banner

Who thinks GF-6 is a big step up?

• I dont, and consider it a marketing ploy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the "Star Graph" of the GF-6 oil standard. It either matches the performance of GF-5 / SN Plus oils in some categories, or greatly exceeds them in others, most notably "Timing Chain Wear". There is no downside anywhere on the graph.

I am not buying another drop of GF-5 / SN Plus oil, and will use up my current inventory of the stuff in less sensitive platforms that I own.

A friend just ordered some Kendall, which is both GF-6 and DEXOS rated. I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll buy it when it becomes more widely available.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Likewise - I just bought 3 jugs of the Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Now with GF-6 slowly rolling out; I'll return 2 of the Quaker State jugs, and will use only one, we are doing ~ 7K miles per year, and I change oil twice per year

·
Registered
176 Posts
After seeing the comparison chart (above), I will be specifying GF-6 oil from now on. Increased protection from High Temp Deposits and Chain Wear are key factors to me--and increased Fuel Economy is just added icing on the cake!

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
540 Posts
Reactions: oldbiker1

·
Registered
176 Posts
cintocrunch--Thanks for posting that link. Like you, it means I can continue to use my preferred oil.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
540 Posts
cintocrunch--Thanks for posting that link. Like you, it means I can continue to use my preferred oil.
I have a feeling you will see most premium brands and even non premium brands (Amazon Basics, Kirkland, Supertech, etc.) follow suit and add the label after tweaking the formula as needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree. It's the only way they can remain competitive and keep their market share.

Reactions: Jocon60

·
Registered
154 Posts
With 2017 and later engines the requirement is for DEXOS1 Gen 2 motor oil. These meet the specifications:

Castrol Edge Extended Performance Castrol 03087 $6.50 per quart
Castrol GTX Magnatec 6 qts $36
Mobil 1 Extended performance $7.50 quart and $5 for 5-quart jug
Pennzoil Gold synthetic blend 6 qts $44
Valvoline DuraBlend 6 qts for $46
Valvoline MaxLife® Full Synthetic
Valvoline NextGen

The best way to avoid problems with the timing chain is to reduce the change interval instead of going 100% by the DIC. With all my other vehicles I factor in duty usage and engine hours and type of driving to determine change intervals. The Traverse is a special case though and so I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles which is 30% fewer miles than the DIC indicates. Probably a waste of motor oil but the cost to repair the timing chain assembly is very high.

Whenever I have seen truly independent lab testing of motor oil the high priced premium oils provide no added benefit for gas engines and with diesel engines a motor oil like Amsoil provides the worst engine protection despite if costing three times as much. The SAE and the engine manufacturers tested motor oils extensively for the new engines and it would be foolish to think that the thousands of engineers efforts could be surpassed by people who just happen to be selling their own brand of oil.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With 2017 and later engines the requirement is for DEXOS1 Gen 2 motor oil. These meet the specifications:

Castrol Edge Extended Performance Castrol 03087 $6.50 per quart
Castrol GTX Magnatec 6 qts $36
Mobil 1 Extended performance $7.50 quart and $5 for 5-quart jug
Pennzoil Gold synthetic blend 6 qts $44
Valvoline DuraBlend 6 qts for $46
Valvoline MaxLife® Full Synthetic
Valvoline NextGen

The best way to avoid problems with the timing chain is to reduce the change interval instead of going 100% by the DIC. With all my other vehicles I factor in duty usage and engine hours and type of driving to determine change intervals. The Traverse is a special case though and so I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles which is 30% fewer miles than the DIC indicates. Probably a waste of motor oil but the cost to repair the timing chain assembly is very high.

Whenever I have seen truly independent lab testing of motor oil the high priced premium oils provide no added benefit for gas engines and with diesel engines a motor oil like Amsoil provides the worst engine protection despite if costing three times as much. The SAE and the engine manufacturers tested motor oils extensively for the new engines and it would be foolish to think that the thousands of engineers efforts could be surpassed by people who just happen to be selling their own brand of oil.
I'm not sure how inclusive you intended your list to be, but Mobil1 has multiple oils, including the standard synthetic, that meet dexos 1 G2. I'm sure there are many others (even within M1) that meet the standard or paid for the licensing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Engine manufacturers help develop oil standards and specifications that provides reasonable protection for normal and severe service for a particular engine application. They also help develop engine testing standards for oil. They typically do not get into advocating or testing for one brand over another. Oil manufacturers are required to perform specific engine testing of their oils to meet API and OEM specs and are required to provide this data in order to license or claim they meet those specs.

I would be interested to see the independent lab testing of standard and premium oil showing no added benefit. I have oil analysis showing the premium synthetics oils withstand fuel dilution and viscosity shearing better than standard synthetics made from petroleum base oils.

·
Registered
63 Posts
API certification is good enough for me. After that then it's BITOG craziness.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
API certification is good enough for me. After that then it's BITOG craziness.....
API is going to call this stuff, "SP"

Here’s a brief description of each of the new engine parameters for modern engines like our GM High Feature V6:

• Sequence IIIH – Requires 33 percent improvement over GF-5 for oxidation and deposits.
  • Sequence IVB – Provides improved valve train wear.
  • Sequence V – Ensures substantially reduced sludge and varnish.
  • Sequence VIE – Requires 19-39 percent improvement in fuel economy, depending on oil viscosity.
  • Sequence IX – Verifies minimum level of LSPI protection.
  • Sequence X – Assures less timing chain wear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the write up. First I've heard of the new standard. API site had all the info, TNX again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Had to make an emergency trip to Wallmart tonight for Cat treats..... ( long story).... Stuck my nose into the automotive section and IT'S HERE! GF-6!

Price isn't bad either.....

The Ultra Platinum is a few dollars more, but not stocked on the shelf. You have to order it.

I have a 1600 miles to go before the 10,000 mile service. This is what I'm putting in.....

Then, do the mail in rebate for $10 per jug.... and the net cost is $14 per 5 qt. jug. Outstanding!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Outside of M1 Penzoil Platinum has been the only other oil in most of my vehicles. The 325Ci I just took co-ownership of got Liqui-Moly buI was feeling very German that day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had to make an emergency trip to Wallmart tonight for Cat treats..... ( long story).... Stuck my nose into the automotive section and IT'S HERE! GF-6!
View attachment 9466

Price isn't bad either.....
View attachment 9467
The Ultra Platinum is a few dollars more, but not stocked on the shelf. You have to order it.
View attachment 9468
I have a 1600 miles to go before the 10,000 mile service. This is what I'm putting in.....

Then, do the mail in rebate for $10 per jug.... and the net cost is $14 per 5 qt. jug. Outstanding!!
View attachment 9469
Based on what I see on the labels Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum, 5W30, does not show or list DEXOS 1,G2. Pennzoil Platinum has the DEXOS label on it. Even on their web site.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts