Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone so I have a pretty big problem my 2010 traverse is completlely stuck in reverse. I pulled into my driveway when i got home from work put the gearshift into park (or well thought i did and the gear shift is next to the p on the center council) and went inside. About 5 mins later my neighbor is knocking on my door telling me my car is in the middle of the street run outside and sure enough it is i jump in to start it and it wont start and thats when i notice that on the dash its indicating reverse. As i try moving the shifter i notice its no longer indicating reverse so we try pushing it and it moved so was able to get it out of the road but the gearshift is still stuck and wont move more than maybe an 1/8th of an inch in each directions any help at all to what to do. Please and thank you

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
could the shifter mechanism in the center console be the issue?
broken part causing binding? etc.

I would go into the engine bay- and disconnect the trans shift rod---- and then try to move the shifter.
if it moves--- then the issue is with trans...
if it does not move- then its an issue with the shifter.

the rod by the dipstick cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone so I have a pretty big problem my 2010 traverse is completlely stuck in reverse. I pulled into my driveway when i got home from work put the gearshift into park (or well thought i did and the gear shift is next to the p on the center council) and went inside. About 5 mins later my neighbor is knocking on my door telling me my car is in the middle of the street run outside and sure enough it is i jump in to start it and it wont start and thats when i notice that on the dash its indicating reverse. As i try moving the shifter i notice its no longer indicating reverse so we try pushing it and it moved so was able to get it out of the road but the gearshift is still stuck and wont move more than maybe an 1/8th of an inch in each directions any help at all to what to do. Please and thank you
Did you ever figure out what was wrong mine is doing this exact thing

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
1 post and never came back.
But if you have to move the vehicle.
Open hood and look at the tranmission shifter cable.
You can undo that connector and manually shift the transmission to be able to move it.
If you break that little connector/coupler, auto parts sell the repair coupler under the help section.
Similar thing happ on my 2003 trailblazer few weeks ago.
Dad stuck at walmart.
Shifter woul not move.
Connector at trans broke and cable hanging. I got under truck, manually shifted to drive
And he drove home.
Went and bought the connector. $12 i think it cost.
Fixed it in 5 min.
I believe the same little connector fits many yrs of gm trans.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
I had the cable connector come off the trans. on my Tahoe. I pulled the arm off the trans. and drilled a hole and put a pin clip in it for a forever fix.
Same thing, roll under it at the store to get it home for surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts