Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched from a BMW that required Supreme Unleaded to regular unleaded which was the advice of my salesman said on the Traverse. I just want to fill the car up with the best gas that will allow the engine to operate at it's potential without and misfiring and long term engine timing problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I asked my salesman as well and the 87 Octain is fine. I work with alot of people that drive BMW's and they all say they have to run the high octain fuel or it negaites their warrenty on the BMW. We are fine with the lower one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Always been 87 octane on most GM's, except for some Cadillacs. I wouldn't own a new vehicle that takes primium only..just too expensive to operate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any benefit to moving up to midgrade or just a waste? I'm more than happy buying 87, dont get me wrong. Does the car need any cleaners from time to time due to the 87?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does the manual say put higher than 87 octane in it?  Does it say put cleaners in the tank?  Just do what it says by the maintainence schedule, and you'll be fine.

EDIT:  Look in the section for gasoline octane.  It mentions gasoline that's advertised as TOP TIER detergent gasoline.  Whatever that means, never heard that term.  Also mentions cleaner additives, that are at your dealer. (which are at any auto retailer as well)  All news to me to have this in the manual, at least I've never read this sort of thing before.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ferne,

I beleive it would be a waste of money. If you are concerned about performance or maintence then I would suggest about once every couple of month fill up with cheveron with techron that is a good fuel that has a cleaning additave. Or buy a good quality fuel system/injector cleaner. Your local chevy service department will hit you up for a fuel system cleaning when you hit about 30,000 miles more or less and the will flush your fuel system and run a diagnostic on it to make sure all the injectors and everything will working as designed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got rid of an Infiniti (prem only) never had a problem with +grade . 06 Silverado 87 oct. every tank since new never a problem. Traverse four tanks of 87(Shell) no signs of pinging. If you do use the cheapo brands you will crud up your valves and injectors. I alternate between cheapo and good detergent gasolines with my pickup,so far so good. Occasionally I actually remember to put an additive in when filling up which also
helps. Techron or Lucas for regular use.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
stick with whatever the manual says. Im sure it says 87 octane. (I dont have a Traverse).
And dont listen to your friends who say running higher octane gas is better for your engine. Bull crap.
Ive seen people put the expensive stuff into their cheap little cars. Baffles me.... they insist its better...
If the manual says 87- stick with that. the engine is tuned for 87 octane.
Will it run on higher octane- sure. will it make any difference.. no. just a difference in your pocket.
There are cars that REQUIRE the high octance- as the car is tuned for that. when you put LOWER octane in those cars- the knock sensors detect that- and change the engines operational parameters--- thats why on those cars--- youll see HP/TQ output with high octane and lower HP/TQ readings with lower output--- Once again- the cars are tuned for high octane. but can operate with lower octane- with decreased engine performace.
BUT--- on an engine that is designed for 87--- and you go up-- its not going to make a difference.
The only time its recommended that you go from 87 to the next octane- is if your engine is knocking. By this point- your computer has already detected knock and has tried to fix the issue by adjusting timing (or something like that)....
so dont believe the hype about higher is better....
As for top tier gas...
heres the info on top tier.... and who sells top tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
417 Posts
My wife's HHR states use 91+ octane. We've found any octane works, but there is a noticable milage and performance hit for lower octane.

I used to use 89 in my Chevy pickup. It kept the knocking/pinging problems of the good 'ol 5.3L V8 lower.

I've tried all 3 normal octanes, 87, 89, 91 in my Trav. I can't tell any difference at all. So, I'll stick to the 87 and call it good.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Every 10 to 15,000 miles- I pour a bottle of Techron Fuel system cleaner into my Trailblazers tank.
143,500 miles later-- still runs great.
But More on the 10,000 miles range...
thats because I pour in a bottle soon after 10,000 miles since my last oil change....
My oil changes take place on average between 10,000 to 11,500 miles.... (using the Oil life monitor).
so I run the techron- and soon after my oil light comes on. I change oil.. and im good to go for another 10,000 + miles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
rbarrios said:
stick with whatever the manual says. Im sure it says 87 octane. (I dont have a Traverse).
And dont listen to your friends who say running higher octane gas is better for your engine. Bull crap.
Ive seen people put the expensive stuff into their cheap little cars. Baffles me.... they insist its better...
If the manual says 87- stick with that. the engine is tuned for 87 octane.
Will it run on higher octane- sure. will it make any difference.. no. just a difference in your pocket.
There are cars that REQUIRE the high octance- as the car is tuned for that. when you put LOWER octane in those cars- the knock sensors detect that- and change the engines operational parameters--- thats why on those cars--- youll see HP/TQ output with high octane and lower HP/TQ readings with lower output--- Once again- the cars are tuned for high octane. but can operate with lower octane- with decreased engine performace.
BUT--- on an engine that is designed for 87--- and you go up-- its not going to make a difference.
The only time its recommended that you  go from 87 to the next octane- is if your engine is knocking. By this point- your computer has already detected knock and has tried to fix the issue by adjusting timing (or something like that)....
so dont believe the hype about higher is better....
As for top tier gas...
heres the info on top tier.... and who sells top tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Checked out the list, our gas station we use regularly is not on there, Speedway.  I had to laugh at this one: Turkey Hill Minit Markets .  I wouldn't feel confident buying gas from there, but maybe would buy my next Thanksgiving meal there..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never paid any attention to where I was buying my gas other than just going for the cheapest price until I read this thread. I remember a buddy of mine once saying that he never gets gas at Sheetz because it makes his car run like crap. Well, I almost always buy my gas at Sheetz because it is usually the cheapest around. Well, on my way home on Sunday I wasn't paying attention to my gas gauge and the low fuel light and chime came on as I was passing Sheetz. The very next station less than 1/2 mile down the road was Shell (which is on the top tier list). I filled up my tank and as soon as I pulled out onto the road I seemed to notice a big improvement in the way my car accelerated and I noticed less of a lag and jerk when the automatic tranny shifted. It wasn't until then that I remembered reading this thread. Do you think it was all in my head? Could I have really noticed such a drastic difference immediately? Even if it is all in my head, I'm still going to buy the top tier gas from now on, especially since it is to the penny the same price as the stuff that my friend said made his car run like crap. [This was in my Pontiac, not the Traverse if it makes a difference to anyone reading.]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think good gas does make a difference. They put additives in it that "supposedly" help. Maybe it's marketing, but I think they drive better too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts