Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My issue started with the classic "pump keeps shutting off scenario". Turns out that the little flapper (I am guessing it keeps gas from coming back up the neck from the tank) was stuck shut. I pushed on it and the whole darn thing popped off and went into the tank. Anyway, I took the car to the gas station to fill it up. The gas flowed freely. The only issue is that now the gas will spew out (about half a cup) once the pump shuts off. It doesn't spray out with a huge amount of pressure, but it doesn't just splash out either.

When I had the tank down, I did check the charcoal canister, it was fine. Any other ideas? Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,098 Posts
Now that the rollover valve is out of the way fuel will back up the fill tube faster and some spit back can be expected.
Fuel needs to be sucked into the sensor port in the gas nozzle for it to stop and now that the rollover valve is not stopping or restricting fuel back up, I would expect some back up coming out.
Spit back was the norm back in the day before rollover valves and other fuel neck blockers.
I got a lot of gas baths in 1971.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I'm not familiar with that cap-less flapper thing, but if it also provides the seal for the fill tube, then you're probably going to start getting a check engine light and emissions codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks repairman! I knew it had something to do with that, but I couldn't put 2 and 2 together. I don't believe the rollover valve is a replaceable part. Right now I just listen for the telltale gurgle a car makes when it is getting full. Nothing sprays out if I shut it off when I hear that. Thanks again for your help!

Green-still have a fuel cap for the 12's Maybe the next gen had the capless ones.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
OK. You didn't mention year, so I assumed it was new, as the 2nd Gens don't have a cap, they have some kind of "flapper" that seals the neck. I haven't ever actually seen one, so I don't know what it looks like, but I would assume it's something that has to move out of the way to let the nozzle in, but then spring back and seal when you pull the nozzle out, hence a "flapper."

My 2017 doesn't seem to have any kind of flapper that I can see. Just a metal "plate" with a hole big enough for the nozzle and a few small vent holes above it.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,098 Posts
GT my '20 has the capless. It's just the hole with the flap visible right at the opening.
I treat it easy, I just don't jam the nozzle into it like the old days. I believe the capless filler is part of the neck assy. and I don't want to ''abuse'' it so it continues to seal properly. Don't want to have to change it if it doesn't seal setting off codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts