Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas Mileage new AWD

Just came back from a 330 km highway trip to Banff and only averaging 20.9 mpg or 11.4 liter/100 km DIC . Was cruising at 100 kph to 125 kph / 60-75 mph with heavy long weekend traffic in the morning so my speed was changing every five to ten minutes. On the way home was cruising at 115 kph with the rpm at 2000 -1800 with average traffic and ran into some rain , it does handle very well in the rainy conditions . My machine has 1682 km with two 300 km trip on it , this fuel mileage should improve more . Some of you guys are getting 27-29 mpg on the DIC which can vary when calcuating it by hand, I have noticed the the DIC tells me the amount of fuel used isn't always accurate to the amount put into the tank.
Hopefully the the computer is allowing for drivetrain breakin time before it leans out the fuel mileage . :eyebrow: Love the passing power it has. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,572 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

I think you will see some improvement.
I have come to think that the DIC and the method it uses to measure fuel used is way more accurate than us filling into the tank....
Though I do keep track of it each time I fill up... Im always pretty close... some times its off-- and I figure its the actual fuel shut off on the handle.

Im going to take a guess and say that the computer uses the injectors pulsing- and the way it varies the amount of fuel injected into the engine to measure fuel consumption.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

rbarrios said:
I think you will see some improvement.
I have come to think that the DIC and the method it uses to measure fuel used is way more accurate than us filling into the tank....
Though I do keep track of it each time I fill up... Im always pretty close... some times its off-- and I figure its the actual fuel shut off on the handle.

Im going to take a guess and say that the computer uses the injectors pulsing- and the way it varies the amount of fuel injected into the engine to measure fuel consumption.
I also record every fuel stop , trip and maintenance of all my vehicles. When the fuel shuts off at the handle i can squeeze usaully half of liter extra in. Just last week the DIC was off by one liter of fuel compared to
my usually way of fueling the Traverse...... that 20.9 mpg is based on a US gallon / 3.79 liter if I use the Imperial 4.54 liter/ gallon i get 25.17 mpg but thats not how the DIC computes the mileage...interesting.
Is here a formula to convert the km/ 100 fuel mileage into mpg ?

My 05 malibu gets 30mpg (cda gallon) when it was new and improved to 33.5-35 mpg on the highway trips, thats a 3.5 liter V6........ hope the 3.6 liter
can at least get up to 25-26 mpg (US) compared to 20.9 mpg now. I should which over to a K&N air filter this will get a half to one mpg improvement. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

Just checked GM canada webesite and AWD should get 22mpg city and 32 hwy, and 13.1 km/100 city and 8.8 km /100 hwy.
I'm only getting 25 mpg (Cda gallon) on the hwy , something doesn't add up :confused: I need to get a 21 % increase to match
the 32 mpg hwy , heres to dreaming...!!! :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

The best hwy I've recorded is 9.2L/100km over about 150km drive. It was a round trip, so I consider that pretty honest mileage. I don't think I will ever see the 8.4L/100km that they advertise for the FWD version.

Funny thing is, the FWD Traverse is advertised in the USA as 24MPG for highway, which is 9.8L/100km, so I don't know where they heck they got 8.4L/100km???!!

8.4L/100km is equivalent to 28MPG (US Gallons). Maybe Canada's standard for fuel mileage testing is different than the USA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

Quantum said:
The best hwy I've recorded is 9.2L/100km over about 150km drive. It was a round trip, so I consider that pretty honest mileage. I don't think I will ever see the 8.4L/100km that they advertise for the FWD version.

Funny thing is, the FWD Traverse is advertised in the USA as 24MPG for highway, which is 9.8L/100km, so I don't know where they heck they got 8.4L/100km???!!

8.4L/100km is equivalent to 28MPG (US Gallons). Maybe Canada's standard for fuel mileage testing is different than the USA?
It must be, no way can 23 US mpg equal 32 mpg on the canadian webesite .
So if you take 28mpg and multiply by 16.5% the difference in the gallons will get you 32.62 mpg using CDA gallon for MPG. :confused: yet.!!!!!!

I am sure that my MPG will start coming around in 2-4000 km just when winter starts up here so realiable mileage is not as accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

Gas mileage is increasing[/color] just did a couple of short 125 km round trips out ot the mountains and the mileage has gone up to 11.2km/ 100 from 13.2 km/100.
It only has 2306 km on it but and already the computer is adjusting the fuel consumption as the engine breaks in.... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

Haven't been here for a while because... I've been driving. ;D

In April I did a two week tour from Vancouver to Rocanville SK and back including a foot of snow in Calgary - a total of 4330 km.

Still have to key in my gas receipts & mileage to get an overall average but I can tell you that I saw 9.9L/100 at one point in my drive. One longer segment I averaged 10.0L/100. I probably had the wind at my back on that tank as coming back on the same route I was 12.1L/100 and that was definitely into a brisk breeze. Kamloops to Vancouver averaged 10.7L/100 - this portion included the Coquihalla Highway #5 which has several extended hill climbs of 10 to 20 km and then a corresponding descent to sea level with typical speeds of about 117km for half the route and about 107km in the remainder. I used manual shift extensively thru the trip.

2010 Chev Traverse AWD w/roof rack; odometer at 19200 at end of trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

I think I'll move to the Great White North - their Traverses get much better mileage than ours!!! :eek: ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

Just did a 300 mile trip all hiway MI to ON driving between 65-75 mph the 2011 LT AWD with 12,000 average 20.0 mpg according to the DIC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

My 2 Cents Worth of Data-
2012 AWD
1,200 miles on odo
Factory gearing
Vehicle not loaded; 1 person, no luggage.
First long trip; 700 mile total, mostly flat driving
Average highway speed 74-76 MPH
California fuels

MPG- 22.9

One interesting note, the trip duration enabled some pretty accurate speed/RPM/MPG testing. When the speed was lowered to 70MPH, average MPG rose to 25.4. It is obvious powertrain config is tailored/suited to this speeds RPM range (1700 vs 2000-2100). I did not bother to check the MPG at any lower speeds.
Hope it helps,
Denny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

that is about what I was getting with my 2010 AWD with about 30k - same mph - same speeds

racerden said:
My 2 Cents Worth of Data-
2012 AWD
1,200 miles on odo
Factory gearing
Vehicle not loaded; 1 person, no luggage.
First long trip; 700 mile total, mostly flat driving
Average highway speed 74-76 MPH
California fuels

MPG- 22.9

One interesting note, the trip duration enabled some pretty accurate speed/RPM/MPG testing. When the speed was lowered to 70MPH, average MPG rose to 25.4. It is obvious powertrain config is tailored/suited to this speeds RPM range (1700 vs 2000-2100). I did not bother to check the MPG at any lower speeds.
Hope it helps,
Denny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

When we drove ours off the lot the first time in august, we immediately had to take it on a few hour trip and got actually better mileage on the DIC than the sticker (under 8.5L/100) if i remember correctly.... now here's the kicker... we were only travelling 80-88km/h as per the break in procedure detailed in the manual for AWD vehicles. If you drive in that zone on the highway you get amazing mileage, once you start any faster than that your mileage goes down. We're taking ours on a 10 hour drive each way very shortly and I'm planning on doing some experiments either way for the fun of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,572 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage new AWD

I have a FWD... but speaking of that 'zone'...
I Just did a 500 mile trip- essentially at 55-60
Amazing MPG's in the 26-28 range- with 6 on board.
Ill create a post on it when I get the pics.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top