Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I bought my new, ordered from the factory, 2009 FWD Traverse in October of 2008 and it was delivered Dec 2008. We loved the car, plenty of room for the kids and still lots of storage, good appearance and at first, decent mileage. It now has 11.000 miles and at almost exactly 10,000 miles we had an abrupt mileage change. This was not a gradual change, it was instantaneous and seemed to be spurred by being stuck in a snow drift and rocking the car to get it out. In the first 10,000 miles I experienced about 25 MPG when traveling with cruise set at 55 MPH and about 23 MPG with the cruise set at 70 MPH. I am now getting about 22 MPG at 55 and 18 MPG at 70....a drop of 3 MPG at 55 and 5 MPG at 70!! I have had the vehicle examined by three different dealers and have talked to Chevrolet customer service and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and that this is normal. This is my 7th new Chevrolet and as a life-long Chevrolet owner I know this is not normal. I am very peeved that my mileage has dropped by 5MPG on the highway for no apparent reason. Chevrolet has basically told me to get lost and stop bothering them. Has anyone else had or heard of similar things? Are there any class action suits blowing in the wind?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I think many will tell you to be happy with those numbers as theyre not getting them...

On the other hand- wait till summer blend gas comes back- maybe youll see an increase.. if this started happening this winter.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes that is about the drop you would see with running winter gas.

Have you also run any fuel injector cleaner through it. I do this a every oil change.

Also check your tire pressure low pressure affects the millage more than you think.

It may even be a combination of these things.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
hmmm you also say it occured after the rocking in the snow....

The biggest possible culprit right now is the winter blend of gas. That always lowers people mileage.....
By the way- did you look at the catalytic converter? maybe it got dented somehow by the snow and is restricting flow?
Im just throwing out ideas...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Big blue is right....
You may also want to run some fuel injector cleaner.

Were not saying you may be all clogged up---- I mean you are getting 22 MPG at 55.....
But just to make sure- its not going to hurt to run a bottle of (what I always recommend)..
Techron Fuel injector cleaner- or Techron Fuel System cleaner....

as both clean injectors....

Ive run bottles of Techron at about every 10,000 miles in my previous vehicles... and have yet to get any fuel injector issues..
(My 2003 Trailblazer with 153,000)...
Ill be pouring a bottle in my 2010 Traverse when I hit 10,000 - im at about 8000 now.

but do tell us--- what are you doing in regards to oil changes? are you following the OLM?

·
Registered
417 Posts
While I don't agree with all the hype, I'm told that real gas, not the 10% ethanol will provide higher MPG...

Personally, I'll always burn 10% ethanol gas. It keeps the engine cleaner.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You're looking for class action suits against Chevrolet for Gas mileage ?????

If you find anything along that line, let us know.

I have a 2009 FWD that has gotten me as MUCH as 20 MPG on only 2 occasions. My shift points do not exceed 2500 RPM's, my highway speed NEVER exceeds 70 MPH and my off line acceleration is that of a turtle.

If I had your "bad" mileage, I would be pleased, at this point and time.

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would also wish I had your bad gas mileage just like Bob....... haven't had any luck with my AWD.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
red426 said:
I would also wish I had your bad gas mileage just like Bob....... haven't had any luck with my AWD.
Red426, I had a 2002 TrailBlazer 4X4. I travel the same roads with the Traverse, go to the same destinations, but the Traverse kicks me in the wallet everytime, giving me 4 MPG LESS than my TrailBlazer.

Bob

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
my Traverse is giving me a little better mileage than my 2003 Trailblazer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) The truck I traded in on the Traverse was a 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z66 so the gas mileage is outstanding to me in comparison to that. My other vehicle is a 2004 Crew cab Silverado Z71 so in comparison I am very happy and surprised at the power with a 6 cylinder.

8) Steve

·
Registered
551 Posts
Maybe I am crazy, but I dont stress out about MPG, you have to get gas there is nothing you can do about it. My jeep with the Hemi gets MAYBE 14 MPG while daily driving, so to me the traverse is great.

I would never buy or not buy a car based on what the MPG is, sure It may sway my decision, but it is not that important. How many miles do you drive each day? It appears you have put on 11,000 miles in 15 months, I wouldnt get all worked up about it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I here you that about the same as the Silverado and for the size of that thing I don’t think that that bad either.

8) Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what it is worth, my wife and I just made a quick trip from the Detroit, MI area to Baltimore with our FWD Traverse LT. One the way out we got an even 23.0 mpg (mostly highway). Last night coming home we averaged 21.7, but we were driving against a strong wind most of the trip and through a couple of snowstorms where I didn't use cruise control as much.

My wife was very nervous and wanted to exit the turnpike after seeing so many accidents, but the Traverse handled the bad weather fine and I felt pretty secure behind the wheel. We now have a little over 4000 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe I am crazy, but I dont stress out about MPG, you have to get gas there is nothing you can do about it. My jeep with the Hemi gets MAYBE 14 MPG while daily driving, so to me the traverse is great.
For some of us, mpg is maybe one of the deciding factors on buying a vehicle, and that's probably why this thread was started in the first place. I cannot speak for everybody, but I'm a little dismayed because I was expecting a certain amount of mpg that the Traverse is rated for. I'm not saying I don't like my Traverse, I actually reALLY love it, just not totally happy with the gas usage because I'm nowhere close to making the mpg ratings, with me trying very hard to let the car drive, and not to mention the big difference on actual gas pumped in than what the dic says, which makes the higher mgp on dic worse.
Red426, I had a 2002 TrailBlazer 4X4. I travel the same roads with the Traverse, go to the same destinations, but the Traverse kicks me in the wallet everytime, giving me 4 MPG LESS than my TrailBlazer
I replaced a 7 seater Trailblazer with the Traverse and on paper there is a big difference in mpg ratings, but the actual only shows very very very little difference.

To everyone that's seeing great results, good for you.. I'm looking forward to my first oil change in March, and maybe nicer weather, hopefully I'll see better results too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
red426 said:
For some of us, mpg is maybe one of the deciding factors on buying a vehicle, and that's probably why this thread was started in the first place. I cannot speak for everybody, but I'm a little dismayed because I was expecting a certain amount of mpg that the Traverse is rated for. I'm not saying I don't like my Traverse, I actually reALLY love it, just not totally happy with the gas usage because I'm nowhere close to making the mpg ratings, with me trying very hard to let the car drive, and not to mention the big difference on actual gas pumped in than what the dic says, which makes the higher mgp on dic worse. I replaced a 7 seater Trailblazer with the Traverse and on paper there is a big difference in mpg ratings, but the actual only shows very very very little difference.

To everyone that's seeing great results, good for you.. I'm looking forward to my first oil change in March, and maybe nicer weather, hopefully I'll see better results too.
Red426,

Like you, gas mileage is important to me NOW ....it simply doesn't sit right with me when a MPG figure on the window sticker is too far away from my actual MPG, even though I'm watching my driving habits very closely. I now have 8K on my 2009 .... only 3 fillup have I "broken" the 20 MPG barrier, by a tenth or two.

Bob

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I find my DIC and hand calcs and actual gas pumped in--- is pretty close...
What may be causing the slight differences is the point were the gas pumps auto shut off....
But I find that normally- my DIC and hand calcs are .5 to 1 mpg off from each other.
The error margin I think is where the pump auto shuts off...

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) When you calculate gas mileage there are many factors to take in mind for one the time if day you fill up the tank like most liquids gas expands and contracts so if you fill you tank early in the morning when it is cooler out you actually get more gas for the same money, because the molecules are compressed. Your driving habits type of gas, tire type, tire pressure also factor in to it as well as calm day verses a windy day as mentioned by another. I for one must say for the size and power of the Traverse I get exceptional gas mileage. Having had larger vehicles with primarily V8 engines with less HP this thing is quick holds more people and gets very close to the 17 MPG in the city that is a 3 to 4 MPG better that the Avalanche I traded in with half the bells & whistles this thing has. I guess if it were all a bough gas mileage we would have bought a 4 cylinder vehicle standard transmission, standard breaks with no options wind down windows and all then I would be upset if I got worse mileage then promised. But even then driving with the windows down because no A/C this would affect the gas mileage.

8) Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am experiencing, like this thread's author, a sudden drop of gas mileage. I check my mileage by hand almost every tank. 20 mpg was easy at 73-75 mph. On a recent trip to Detroit, I averaged 14.9 with the same driving style. I haven't been able to get a reading over my normal route yet, but the gas gauge shows bad news.

The odd thing to me is the DIC continues to show numbers that indicate the Traverse is getting the same mileage it always had. Strange. I'll be taking it to the dealer next week.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts