Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used their temporary spare, or investigated installing a full size spare? I prefer full size spare tires in general. The temporary spares can really interrupt your trip if you are away from home. I've been under the car installing a hitch and I'm not sure how much space there is for a bigger spare. With the smallest stock rim being 17", I'm not sure how close you could get in tire dimater to stock without being really wide.

If you have any thoughts on a full size spare or experience with the temporary spare, let me know. Thanks.

2009 LS-1, 15 months old 15K miles.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can't offer any insight into other options for spare tires or storage on the Traverse. But I'm sure others here can offer suggestions.

Page 10-78 of the owner's manual says that the factory spare tire can be driven at speeds up to 65 MPH and will last 3000 miles. The AWD will be automatically disabled while the spare is on the vehicle, too.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had to use mine about 2 months ago. I had it up to 60 mph on the highway. It drove very well and didn't notice there was a spare on it unlike some cars. In a pinch the spare works out fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Somebody on the Acadia forum put a full size tire up there, what size rim I don't know. It was less than an inch to the exhaust.

Although the spare isn't full size, it isn't exactly small either. If it can truly be driven up to 65 MPH for up to 3K miles, good enough IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This may have been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but I'll post it anyways.

I had a flat today on our 2012 Traverse LT1 AWD with the 18" rims. While getting it fixed I asked the guys at the shop to put one of the full size tires on the spare tire cable and see if it would fit up in the spare tire storage area. I watched the tire while they raised it into place. It hit the exaust pipe. So I'm thinking a full size tire wouldn't fit in there. This also explains the need for the heat sheild on the smaller spare tire.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
no--- definitely will not fit.

its been asked before.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The only concern I have with the Donut spare is when I'm towing..

I know I would defiantly would heas straight to a repair shop if it blew while towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts