Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me with this. I bought my 2010 3 weeks ago and I have been noticing a humming, electronic sound when the vehicle is idling. It can actually be heard when you are driving but you need to listen closely. You can really hear it louder if you are sitting in the back and you have your head near the back of the console almost at the floor. It can also be heard if you are standing on the outside of the vehicle. I took it to the dealership and they told me it's from the fuel pump and it's normal. They said there were some bulletins on the noise but nothing is wrong. I just listened to my neighbors friends Traverse and I didn't hear anything. She has the exact same one as me. It could be just me because I tend to pick up the littlest noises. Does anyone else hear this noise?

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
the traverse actually has 2 pumps.
one in the tank- and the other somewhere up towards the front.....
the in tank one pumps the gas up towards the engine.
the 2nd pump--- gets the fuel pressure way up to something like 1000 PSI.... (Im sure I read that somewhere)....
this is needed for the direct injection to work.
If you turn off your vehicle in a quiet place--- you can actually hear the 2nd pump...
many of us describe it as an airplane that has just pulled into the terminal-- and shut off its engine....
sometimes also- when you 1st start it--- theres a humming noise from the front also--- I personnally think its also the secondary pump doing its thing at startup.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
forgot to say--- the power steering pump on the travs is also somewhat noisy....
at idle or slow speeds you can hear it.
Some have had luck by the dealer separating the PS line and I think the AC line... but if you have a 2010- I think that may have been corrected.
The PS pumps/and related parts are just a little noisy...
I think some with 09s have had parts replaced and some say it fixed it-- some made no diff.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
forgot to say--- the power steering pump on the travs is also somewhat noisy....
at idle or slow speeds you can hear it.
Some have had luck by the dealer separating the PS line and I think the AC line... but if you have a 2010- I think that may have been corrected.
The PS pumps/and related parts are just a little noisy...
I think some with 09s have had parts replaced and some say it fixed it-- some made no diff.
On my 09, the a/c lines and p/s lines were modified, as per the TSB. That corrected most of the p/s noise at low speed, but the pump does contribute to some of the noise ....sounds like its low on p/s fluid, but it is not. Dealer wanted to change out pump, I did NOT do it ....the more that is left untouched, the fewer the problems.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts