Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Traverse that has always not started if I let it get below 1/4 tank of gas (I have to park on hill). I forgot to fill it up and it wouldn't start in the morining. This has happened 3 times now. Each time I have to go get gas and fill it up, then it will start. This time it will not start up even with 3/4 tank and now parked on level ground. We have recharged the battery and let it sit, but it still just turns over but will not start. Could we have fried the fuel pump? If so, where is it located and can we replace it ourselves (husband is very handy).

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
the 2009 and up Lambdas (traverse, acadia, enclave, outlook) have 2 fuel pump.
1st pump in the tank. this sends gas towards the engine...

the 2nd pump is the high pressure fuel pump.It is attached to the side of the engine--- it is in the area below the throttle body.. covered by a foam cover of sorts. this pump is driven by one of the camshafts.
This pump can deliver fuel pressure as high as 1500 PSI.
Though I believe some of the fuel pressure connection are 1 time use only. You cant reuse the connectors as leaks will occur.

before you work on the rear fuel pump... check this connector.. it is located practically under the drivers seat----

Inoperative Fuel Gauge and Hard Start/No Start Condition

Some 2008-2012 Enclave, 2009-2012 Traverse, 2007-2012 Acadia and 2007-2010 Outlook models may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

• Engine is hard to start
• Engine will not start
• Engine starts, then stalls
• Fuel gauge is inoperative or fluctuates
• Service Engine Soon/Check Engine light is illuminated

These conditions, which may be intermittent and have various DTCs set, may be due to the fuel tank harness to body harness retainer slipping on the tubing, putting pressure on the harness and causing connector X305 to become partially separated or not fully seated. (Fig. 13)

Fig 13

Inspect connector X305 to make sure that it is fully seated. If the connector is not fully seated, inspect the terminals at connector X305 for corrosion. If the terminals show signs of corrosion, replace the corroded terminals.

Remove the wire harness retaining clip from the steel lines (Fig. 14, Position 1) and reposition it in front of the steel line support to prevent it from sliding. (Fig. 14. Position 2)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another great post, rbarrios! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That's really strange. Our 2004 Rendezvous never had a problem, but many did have no start/hard start, fuel pump not working, etc. It was found that the connection under the driver's seat on the bottom of the car (exposed to rain, salt, moisture, dirt, etc) would corrode and cause the same problems as that service bulletin.

I think there were about 12 wires or so and a new harness had to be spliced in the corrosion was so bad. Some owner's eliminated the harness completely and just wired the wires directly.

The number GM had given that particular junction? Wait for it----------- C305!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I once ran low in a tank parked in a parking lot on an incline and car wouldn't restart.
My interpretation of that is I ran the car so low that the fuel pick up simply sucked air not gas due to incline therefore no start
Solution called AAA and get a gallon of gas added and bingo it started.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
blueje said:
I have a 2009 Traverse that has always not started if I let it get below 1/4 tank of gas (I have to park on hill). I forgot to fill it up and it wouldn't start in the morining. This has happened 3 times now. Each time I have to go get gas and fill it up, then it will start. This time it will not start up even with 3/4 tank and now parked on level ground. We have recharged the battery and let it sit, but it still just turns over but will not start. Could we have fried the fuel pump? If so, where is it located and can we replace it ourselves (husband is very handy).
How are thing going with your Traverse? With all the information you have been provided, I am curious if your husband was able to get this taken care of.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
yes- its the bottom.
On the drivers side I believe.
Practically under the drivers seat area.

so get down and take a peak in that general area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my car serviced by ABP Motorsport so technically not been serviced by a actual Honda dealer, I've spoke to them today & there blaming contaminated fuel, there saying it's not a Honda fault. But I've always got my fuel at the same place & haven't heard of any other problems with any other cars in the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On 2011 Traverse, received warning message ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED on the message center. Made it home safely but a scary time on the interstate being passed by anything and everything. Had to have vehicle towed to Chevy dealer the next day. Fuel pump was the problem and replaced under warranty (mileage 49,000 miles). Running fine, again. My wife loves this vehicle, except for the night of the failure. haha

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pru, do you know was it the in tank fuel pump, or the high pressure fuel pump mounted to the engine? Just curious.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
NHRATA01 said:
Pru, do you know was it the in tank fuel pump, or the high pressure fuel pump mounted to the engine? Just curious.
Exactly what came to mind when I read it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry if I'm not here, but i have my traverse 2009 with the possible problem, i already changed the fuel pump that is in the tank and now the mechanic says that the car won't start because of the high pressure fuel boiler, does anyone know me say if there is any video or step by step that I can follow to change? can I use one of the old iron? what is the possibility of this boma giving problem if new, because I find it very expensive the value of it new .... my car does not start .... and has all the symptoms mentioned above ... even already I checked the cables below the driver .. and which pipes should I buy to touch, because I read that leaks can occur if only the high pressure fuel pump is changed .... please help ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts