Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How can you do this crazy job at minus -25 outside. No way except taking it to the dealer and have a $100. bill for just changing a fuse!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Ive always read that folks have one heck of a time getting the fuses out of the panel by the glove box.
--------------------------

THe other day I removed the radio fuse. Took me all of 3 seconds to do.
Then I put it back in. another couple of seconds.

I had slid the seat back- and laid on my side to look up...

What really helps--- is if you pop open your hood--- undo the underhood fuse box cover --- and pull out the fuse puller... YES -- there is a little fuse puller stored there.

You grab that-- and then you go to the box by the glove box- and easily pull out the fuse.

To put it back-- the fuse puller tool- holds the fuses on its own. You simply guide it in and push it in.

Wonderful tool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used the fuse puller usless for the washer fuse its tight up aganst the kickpanel good bent tip needle nose would of helped. Lol!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change the front windshield washer fuse and then tell me how wonderful that Chinese piece of plastic is. Please impress me!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
gonna have to take a look and try it......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry rbarrios you have been very helpful to me and the forum. I'm not mechanically challenged. It is a pain in the kiester. And by no means should it be that difficult to access fuses that are less than a 1/4" square in size. Poor positioning and design. Engineers were laughing at techs I'm sure. And the bean counters loved the savings of the Chinese wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any tips on getting that fuse swapped, now that you've done it? I need to check mine... rear washer is working fine, but front one stopped (switch relay clicks when pressed, wipers wipe, but pump makes no noise). It's been so cold the past couple weeks where I live that my washer fluid has frozen several times. I'm thinking while trying to pump frozen fluid through the lines, the fuse might have popped. I'm hoping that's the solution anyway!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to pull it with a needle nose pliers. Putting it back in requires patience and a lot of swearwords. If your left-handed it might be easier for you. I would recommend a bent tip needle nose if you have one. I used the small plastic puller thats availible in the under hood fuse block. White plastic clip. Got the fuse position close held it with another finger removed puller and continued to push it the rest of the way in with my finger. Due to the tight clearance to the kick panel in the right cannot acheive the proper angle to insert it all the way with the puller. The spare 10 amp is in the same row but on the far left. I dropped the first spare and it falls right behind the kick panel and lands under the wiring harness that is under the carpet. The door jamb trim pulls right out and then you will have to lift up the carpet to find it. I dropped it 3 times always was in the same spot.
Mine did the same rear washer worked front had nothing must of had rain or moisture freeze on the spray nozzles and wife must have kept on trying and eventually popped fuse. I dowsed mine with hot water before spraying again. Good luck! I might have overexagerated but a real pain for something that should not have to be.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will be extra cautious when I will use my washers when there is ice etc around these jets. Not interested to loose time on this poor desing for just replacing a fuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok wife popped the fuse again Begining to think the wonderful Korean or Chinese washer pump is on the way out drawing too much current. The fuse took me 1minute this time with a needle nose. Practice makes perfect I guess or the 5 less beers might of helped. Anyone else experienced sudden onset of fuses popping? I was thinking it was weather related it did just rain and freeze again the other day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went searching for the low profile fuses. Turns out the regular atm fuses are same width and can be used in place of the low profile ones. Just be sure to use the same amp fuse as to not cause a fire. Didn't use it under the dash though just swapped it out with heated mirror one under the hood. Mine is 10 amp and probably just powers the power mirrors. I don't have heated mirrors. Base ls awd model. But should work under the dash also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also if your pump is the culprit would recommend to try finding the older washer pump Delco # 22137640 us made before the switched to China.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my fuse is good. I have installed both front and rear washer pumps. But my front washer still doesn’t work. When I push the button you can hear a clicking noise

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You don't say what year you have. I'm attaching the wiring diagrams for the 1st gen. There are two relays in the fuse box under the dash on the passenger side. Maybe the relay isn't picking up properly? Try swapping them to see if the problem swaps.

Also, how did you check the fuse? Often it can look good, but be bad. Need to check it with continuity tester (ohm meter or test light).

It looks like the relay will still operate if the fuse is blown, so I would double-check the fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Greentraverse beat me to the wiring diagram. You replaced both pumps? Do make sure that you replaced the connectors to the correct pump, another member had one instance where the rear was working off the front and vice versa. If you hear clicking, I assume that is the relay. They can go bad, swap relays with a similar one to see if it corrects problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts