Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken sunroof front sunshade striker on my 2018 Traverse High Country. The striker is attached by 2 #8 by one inch screws. The dealer part person said ordering the sunroof frame is the only way to replace the front sunroof sunshade striker. It appears the sunroof sunshade striker can be easily replaced if it had a part number. Anyone know if the front sunroof sunshade striker can be ordered or know a part number? If part number not available them replacing the entire sunroof frame is the way to go (list price $583.33). I was looking at problems that could happen of installing the entire frame.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought my 2018 Redline in Feb 2018 and it didn't have a sunshade striker.

GM stopped installing those Strikers on later 2018 and 2019 models.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Not sure if I have the gist of this so I'll make an assumption.

I'm taking sunroof striker to mean the black plastic piece screwed into the front of the metal frame holding the glass sunroof. Not the grey spring loaded button with two tiny teeth on the front edge of the sunshade that "grabs" the striker to close the sunshade, and not the black metal lever included on pre Oct 17 production that automatically retracts the sunshade when the switch is pressed sunroof is in the tilt or open position. The auto retract lever has been discontinued and removed by many dealers for rattle complaints - No way they're getting mine......a piece of felt on the end of the lever and no more rattles and it auto retracts just fine, first time, every time.

I think at the very least the OP should try a new dealer.........doesn't make sense that this easily replaceable part is not available separately. However....at $4 per push pin......nothing Chevy does or charges amazes me. And, if this is truly the case, I'd be dammmmned before I let the dealer replace the whole sunroof and screw up something else. If faced with this and it really is the only way to get a new striker here's my take: It's under warranty so let the dealer order the whole $600 assembly and tell him: "I don't give a dammmmn what you charge GM for the part or labor, but if you want to repair my car, use your brain, get yourself a screwdriver and swap the new striker on the new sunroof with the broken one on mine, scuff up the new sunroof with the broken striker and send back to GM under warranty part return".

If part breaks under warranty and the only way to get it is to order a new sunroof costing $1000 in parts and labor......use the money to a lot cheaper to go out and buy a 3D printer and design software, and make your own replacement part.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How come the dealer isn't just replacing it as part of the new car warranty? Unless you said you broke it by some other way other than normal usage?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
How come the dealer isn't just replacing it as part of the new car warranty? Unless you said you broke it by some other way other than normal usage?

Easy when you use GM logic.........No more lever - No more rattle complaints......problem solved. Too much trouble to retrofit the part or contract for production of new replacements, and then pay the dealer for an hours labor. They pulled the same crap with their window washer fluid heaters, removed them and claimed no replacements were available......compensated owners $100 for the optiuon that cost the owners $250.

Photo shows location of lever with 1 cent fix of adhesive felt to eliminate rattle.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts