Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else frustrated with the extreme forward angle of the front seat head rest. We've raised them as high as they go but they still seem to keep us from letting our shoulders rest on the seat. I have actually taken them out and reversed them and the seats are far more comfortable. My wife doesn't want them turned back around as they should be since the seats are now more comfortable. The only problem is with them reversed they don't give you proper support if involved in an accident to prevent neck injury.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
chris said:
The only problem is with them reversed they don't give you proper support if involved in an accident to prevent neck injury.
That is the reason why they are so uncomfortable. I was following the Ford Flex forums before we decided on the Traverse, and they have the same complaint over there. I think it has to do with with safety ratings and how well the car performs in crash tests. Rather it be uncomfortable, than to sustain a neck injury.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
most of us experience this bother some feeling- most likely coming from bad posture and flat head restraints in previous cars...

But after owning my 2010 for about 6 months now-- I have grown used to them.
Initially you may get neck pain etc- but that will eventually go away.
Now when I drive our 2003 trailblazer or 2007 Impala--- I actually miss the restraints...
I find myseld adjusting the seats in these cars to get the restraint close to my head-- which means placing the seat back in a fairly upright position.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm used to mine now too (15 months). Still not sure I like them much, but I can live with them at least. I hear about aftermarket versions, but haven't looked into it yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) They bother my neck also switching back and forth from the Silverado to the Traverse the head rest in the Travers bother my neck. I hope this will go away in time but if not I may look into aftermarket ones.

8) Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
chris said:
Is anyone else frustrated with the extreme forward angle of the front seat head rest. We've raised them as high as they go but they still seem to keep us from letting our shoulders rest on the seat. I have actually taken them out and reversed them and the seats are far more comfortable. My wife doesn't want them turned back around as they should be since the seats are now more comfortable. The only problem is with them reversed they don't give you proper support if involved in an accident to prevent neck injury.
Some have solved the issue by slightly reclining the seat back.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just drove 1000 miles in ours and have no complaints about neck pain. I get to make the 1000 mile journey tomorrow again and I don't anticipate any problems then either.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No pain created by our headrests either. They felt a little too close at first, but now no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I didn't notice any issues last night either when I drove ours around. Maybe reclining a bit does help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also get backaches and neck aches when I drive my new Traverse. I have tried neck rolls, pillows, headrest up, turned around (looked unsafe) seat back, seat forward (I even tried to take off the head rest from the middle row, but I couldn't get it off) -nothing seems to work. When I talk to my friends, the level of comfort seems to depend on your height. My husband who is 6'0" thinks they are OK. One of my passengers was 6'4" and he thought it was very comfortable. I'm 5'4" and don't like to drive or ride in the front seat. I looked at several GM models before I purchased the Traverse. The headrests were designed by GM to be safer in a crash test for head on collisions. I was told at the GM dealerships that most people "Lean forward" when they drive or to turn the headrest around. I assumed (incorrectly) that if I turned the headrest around, it would be the "old" version of the headrest. When nothing I tried worked, I tried Chevrolet customer service. After several weeks of frustrating emails and phone calls, I was told that to turn the headrest around is a modification. When you modifiy the vehicle it could void your warrenty. They had no additional suggestions. They referred me back to the dealership. I went back to the dealership and talked to management. They are talking to their service department to see if they can come up with any suggestion. I googled Traverse headrests to see if I could find an aftermarket version, but didn't see anything. Any suggestions as to where I could find one?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
you dont say how long youve had it...
But I really believe that many people will find these bothersome--- but I think its because we got used to bad posture in out older seats.
I Know it bothered me quite a bit when I 1st got mine...
Now- I really like the feeling...
and when I get into my other cars-- those feel weird.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think they aren't built for taller people. I took mine out and filed another stop in the insertion posts about an inch farther down enabling them to snap in an inch higher. This makes all the difference to me.

My neck/shoulders no longer touch the restraint when I sit up straight in normal driving and the restraint is still positioned just behind my head.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I'm 6'8" and I don't have a problem with the headrests in the driver or passenger seat. Now the 2nd row is another story! I don't know why those aren't adjustable.

I do recline the seat a bit. The headrest is about 1/2 - 1" away from the back of my head.

My wife hasn't complained about them either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum said:
I'm 6'8" and I don't have a problem with the headrests in the driver or passenger seat. Now the 2nd row is another story! I don't know why those aren't adjustable.

I do recline the seat a bit. The headrest is about 1/2 - 1" away from the back of my head.

My wife hasn't complained about them either.

Good luck!
I agree, with the seats in a vertical position, the head restraints can be annoying, but reclining the seats moves the restraints away from the back of the head.

The new poster ( above ) must understand these are restraints, not headrests ... and are functional when the vehicle you are in is stuck from the rear, not a head on collision.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bob was absolutely correct. The headrest/restraint is designed for a rear-end collision. I found out that rear end accidents are the most common accident. I also found out that the purpose of the "headrest" is restraint in the rear end accident. Technically restraint is the correct term, but most people use the term headrest.

I did more research. Edmunds is a phenominal site. According to Edmunds: (http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/46912/article.html). "According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), to be effective, the top of the restraint should lie somewhere between the top of your ears and the top of your head. If the restraint articulates for horizontal adjustment, it should be placed so that it's as close to your head as possible, without pushing your head forward or causing the height of the restraint to drop. The position of your seatback is also important — less is better when it comes to reclining. A more upright seatback means that the head restraint will likely be in a safer position — one that's closer to your head."

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had neck pain for years and driving more than a few minutes with these head restraints pushing my head forward makes my neck hurt more. I removed the head rests and bent the rails allowing them to angle up almost straight. They still touch my head so they will protect me in a rearend collision but they are now much more comfortable.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
yeah- someone else reported they did the same thing. seems to have worked for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could you throw in a pic of how the rails look now? My wife complained of the headrests also, it hasn't been much of an issue for me though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) You know I do think after adjusting the set several times you just become used to it because the headrest no longer bother my neck. When we first got the Traverse this did bother my neck but after months of driving around in it and adjusting the seats this way and that way I am fine and it no longer bothers my neck.

8) Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just joined this site after googling info on the headrest positioning.

Our previous long-distance vehicle was a Toy Sienna. Initially I had neck pain after any long drive. My chiropractor and an exercise trainer I had at the time independently pointed out that, like many people my age (mid-40s at the time) My posture wasn't perfect. I was basically rolling my shoulders forward and hunching my back a little. My chiropractor suggested putting the driving seat in a more upright position.

After that I ceased to have neck pain during or after long drives.

Now we have replaced that Sienna with the Traverse, and I find if I put the seat upright the headrest forces my head forward. An uncomfortable position. The driver headrest seems to be more of a problem than the passenger headrest.

Reclining the seat slightly puts me back in the posture that caused the neck problems initially.

We took a 6-hour trip, with me doing all the driving, and two days later my neck is still hurting.

We are planning a 20+ hour trip (40+ RT) over Spring Break, and I plan to try placing a thin cushion behind my upper back. That way I should be able to recline the seat somewhat, getting the headrest out of the way, yet still sit upright, in a posture that is good for my neck.

I'm sure the previously-posted info is correct, that in a rear-end collision the closer the head rest is to your head, the better. However, I would rather take a little risk there than have continuing neck problems in everyday driving.

For those of you who have removed the headrests to modify or reverse them, what is the trick? Ours do not simply pull out, and IIRC the manual says that they are not designed to be removed. I've read a non-traverse-specific comment that some headrests have a release triggered by sticking a wire or awl in a small hole, but I haven't found one on our headrests.

TIA

1 - 20 of 33 Posts