Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a state with no front plate requirement. However I purchased the vehicle from a state that had a front plate requirement. I really don't like the look of the plate bracket, as it is large, bulky and takes away from the lines of the front lower vent.

1) How do I remove this bracket?
2) How big or bad are the holes in the bumper going to look?
3) anyway to fill in these holes?

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
if it was dealer installed...
most likely its held in by rivets.

1)drill out the rivets.
2)depending on the color of vehicle- theyll stand out more.

3)some folks found little caps to plug into the holes.

there was a thread for the gen 1s a while back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - so it doesn't sound like there is a way to remove it without destroying the rivets. Thus if the holes are too big there I would be unable to get the bracket back on to cover the holes....hmmm......???

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Front plate bracket is a dealer install using the included self tapping bolts into the rubber bumper cover. If for som,e reason they used rivets, you'll have to drill out the boss on the rivet and push the center through.

Can cover the approx. 3/16" holes with a narrow piece of self adhesive side trim molding. What I did on out of State purchase where I removed the bracket was to paint the heads of plastic push pins with ferrels (like the ones used on GM trim) and push into the holes. You luck out with a Redline or black bumper because no painting is required.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
If somebody does this, please post a picture so I can see where the holes are. I'm moving from IL to IN next year and the front plate will be GONE!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If somebody does this, please post a picture so I can see where the holes are. I'm moving from IL to IN next year and the front plate will be GONE!

Remove the front license plate and on the bracket underneath you'll see the bolt or rivet heads and know where they attach to the bumber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here you go. Used 1/4” white hole plugs from Amazon. The 3/16” ones were too small. Got too lazy to use primer first, that’s why the right one is starting to flake off after 8 months. The holes are not that obvious after you plug them and it can be considered OEM-like, looking like some kind of sensor. They would look better if I used spray painted rather than hand brush the body color. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here you go. Used 1/4” white hole plugs from Amazon. The 3/16” ones were too small. Got too lazy to use primer first, that’s why the right one is starting to flake off after 8 months. The holes are not that obvious after you plug them and it can be considered OEM-like, looking like some kind of sensor. They would look better if I used spray painted rather than hand brush the body color. :)
I think I could live with that. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
whats the overspray?

Did you paint the grille black?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just curious how much you paid for the white ones as opposed to the color matched.
My Traverse never had the bracket installed but I need some for my wife's Honda. I think the color matched for it was around $30

1 - 13 of 13 Posts