Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2021, purchased in January 2021. I first noticed a popping / crunching noise last winter in the freezing temperatures of Michigan (not sure if temperature is relevant or not). It happens when turning left and seemingly enough force or pressure is applied to the front passenger side of the car. It's most noticeable entering or exiting a driveway or parking lot for instance, or maybe coming into a left hand 90 degree turn with enough speed. I can recreate the issue by turning the wheel to the left at a stand still and giving it some gas.

I don't know how to describe the sound other than a popping or crunching. It's almost like an over torqueing or binding metal sound. I don't think it's plastic. I also don't think it's tire related. It's not like rubber slipping or skidding. It comes in 2, 3, or 4 quick sounds in a row. Never just once. My suspicion is suspension or drive train related, but I'm at a loss.

I mentioned the noise when it was at the dealership for an unrelated issue last winter. They weren't able to recreate it then, so I let it be. I just took it to a different dealership this week specifically for this issue. They told me the car was in AWD and their solution was to turn it to FWD. That unsurprisingly didn't resolve the problem. They didn't physically inspect the vehicle.

I'm going to take it back in to the original dealership, but wanted help from the community on possible things they could check for.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

· Registered
697 Posts
Sounds like you need a new strut mount (which has the strut bearing integrated into it).
The bearing allows the strut to turn with the spring staying put. If the bearing fails, the spring will bind up and then make the popping noise you're talking about.

· Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like you need a new strut mount (which has the strut bearing integrated into it).
I vote this.

It's still under warranty... keep taking it to the same place until they help you properly. Depending on the state you can lemon law stuff if they can't fix it in some number of attempts. If you keep coming back they will stop clowning around and actually do some diagnosis.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking CV joint or wheel bearing.
Long story short, I used to have a 2020 before this 2021. It had the CV shaft replaced at just a few thousand miles. I'll be sure to mention this as a consideration.

The bearing allows the strut to turn with the spring staying put. If the bearing fails, the spring will bind up and then make the popping noise you're talking about.

I had no idea that's how they worked. It does sound oddly fitting to what I'm describing. Thanks for the suggestion.

I vote this.

It's still under warranty... keep taking it to the same place until they help you properly. Depending on the state you can lemon law stuff if they can't fix it in some number of attempts. If you keep coming back they will stop clowning around and actually do some diagnosis.
Unfortunately, I'm 1,000 miles out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I'll ask for GM assistance though, since it was documented initially while it was still under warranty.

I can't in good conscience go back to this dealership. They were the ones that also told me my 2020, that was ultimately repurchased by GM under lemon law for an unresolvable torque converter clutch issue, was just the tires and it was normal. They have a history of not digging into issues.

· Registered
9 Posts
You can take it to any GM dealership and if it comes down to it call chevrolet customer assistance and ask them to goodwill it for the 1000 miles, worth a shot.
Also check your stabilizer links going in and out of a driveway while turning could also be those, replace in pairs. (You could disconnect the top part mount which is easier and secure it for a short drive and see if the noise goes away). Don't buy cheap ones.

I also had a first generation that the motor and trans mounts cause an issue with a thump on accelerating from a turn and a stop.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can take it to any GM dealership and if it comes down to it call chevrolet customer assistance and ask them to goodwill it for the 1000 miles, worth a shot.
Also check your stabilizer links going in and out of a driveway while turning could also be those, replace in pairs. (You could disconnect the top part mount which is easier and secure it for a short drive and see if the noise goes away). Don't buy cheap ones.

I also had a first generation that the motor and trans mounts cause an issue with a thump on accelerating from a turn and a stop.
Thanks for the additional suggestions. It's at the dealership I bought it from right now. They didn't seem concerned with getting at least partial kickback from Chevrolet on the cost. They weren't able to recreate the sound yesterday (I know how subjective it can be), but were going to get it on a lift and physically inspect things today as well as drive it a bit more. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any feedback from the dealer yet on this?
They weren't able to replicate the sound initially, so I went in and drove with the technician. Thankfully, we got it to happen pretty easily and they were able to run with that.

They're replacing the passenger CV shaft (GM is covering 100%). They're also replacing the sway bar (GM is covering 90%) as a precaution. Since it can sometimes be related, they didn't want to get another few months down the road and find out it needs to be replaced - this time without GM assistance.

For additional context, a driver side clunk started acting up when driving over rough parts of the road. That's what made them look to the sway bar as well. They said the struts look good and there's no mount bind.

I'm supposed to get it back Monday. Hopefully the issue(s) will be resolved. They seemed pretty confident and have been amazing to work with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts