Traverse Forum banner

Front end noises

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Plymouthcranbrook 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 with about 75k miles. There is clicking from the front end, heard it often enough with other cars to know it's my CV joints. Here in Alaska, the rubber boots freeze and crack, CV axles up here last 3-4 years if you're really lucky.
Anyhow, the clicking only occurs about 20-30% of the time I am driving but there are two oddities that I am not sure why they are occurring.
First, the clicking occurs when I am driving straight forward, never when I am turning.
2. The clicking gets much louder and much more frequent when I am in reverse.
Are these two descriptions indicative of anything more than bad CV axles? Also, if I take it in for a front end inspection (to make sure CV joints are the only thing thats bad), will they inspect my ball joints and struts without me specifically asking that those parts are inspected? I am afraid if I go to a shop and say my struts may be bad, they will tell me that they are bad (even if they aren't) just to get more money from me.

#2 ·
Most shops I have dealt with inspect everything they can find both for safety(liable if they find something and don't tell you and the wheel falls off) and also I am sure hoping for more work. That said a reputable shop most likely won't lie to get work as you can easily take it somewhere else for a second opinion. If you have AWD it could be a universal joint. In my experience ball joints and struts really only make noise when the car is moving and they are bouncing up and down A regular squeak is more indicative of a rotating part. Wheel assembly or CV joint seems the most probable.You can raise the front end up one side at a time and rotate it by hand and see if you can isolate the sound. If you can see what side or part is making the noise you will have more information when you talk to a repair shop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.