Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a very frustrating point in my traverse's life... at 280K miles, it's still the best thing i have ever owned. Recently a front-end clunking noise has been bothering me and as a result, i have replaced strut assembly, outter tie rod ends, lower control arm and bushings, swaybar lings. I had already replaced the swaybar bushings 3yrs ago and close inspection i say they are fine.

I am in the rabit hole of chasing this problem but frankly the parts i have replaced were due anyway. I am starting to feel a bit frustrated just because, i can keep going on replacing stuff but when will it end?

Any ideas or experience? i have read quiet a lot and watched a few videos that talk about all the stuff i have replaced.

Clunking noise at low spead below 30mph and can even be heard on crached pavement bumps. I am open to a phone call if you got time but any leads will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Check the motor mounts. One in front, one by left front tire, one on right rear.

Here's a thread on changing the front one:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I seem to remember @rbarrios mentioning the steering rack mounts could go bad as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the Motor mounts, i replaced the front one 3years ago and the rear one just a month ago.
What i found is that when I hit a bump with passenger side, i don't hear the clunking. When i hit a bump with the driver side, i hear it. I even replaced the CV axle on the driver side since that's where the noise is and that still didn't help. The only thing I can think of is the Inner tide rod end which i can do, but again throwing money at it.
i have read through many threads on here and some on the Acadia forum but i haven't seen a common fix on all the threads; i mean ONE definite solution.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
Loose inner tie rod end would show play just like a loose outer one. I've changed inners in different vehicles over the years and none of the inners made any sounds.
I've seen posts about replacement struts going bad quickly, can't remember if on here or another forum, or the brand. I vaguely remember Monroe being suspect.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Steering rack has the bushing that gets hard or stretches, causes the clunk on turning ... like in n out of a driveway at sloooww speed. Or turning the wheel back and forth really fast.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
I had a clunk, that i could not find. Usually when braking when coming to a stop. Sometimes did, sometines not.
I checked all sorts of stuff. Parts changed.
The lower control arms, had been changed. They werent that old. But i was surprissed to see 1 rubber boot on the ball joint was torn already. I thought, cheap aftermarket... figured ball joint was bad. I bit the bullet and ordered new control arms and new forward bushings. These were GM. Pricier.
Installed, and that clunk is gone.
The balljoint i expected to be super loose, but it wasnt.
The aftermarket control arm looked in good cobdition... so i could not figure out where the noise was being generated from.
But they were aftermarket ebay parts, very low price. Learned my lesson.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Also in the past, i had a small metallic clink. Audible on street, when going slow.
I had replaced struts, they had about 40k i think. These were gabriel ready struts.
Could not find this annoying sound.
One day, i noticed the yellow rubber bumper on the strut rod had slid down on shaft. Should be at top.
I emailed pic to Gabriel.
They sent me a new pair of ready struts. I believe they had also made update to the part number.
When i installed, i noticed that one struts coil had worn away at the rubber separating the coil and upper mount base.
Turns out that the noise was in fact the coils compressing and releasing, but the coil hitting the metal base under certain conditions.
The noise went away with the newer struts.
I posted pics of this on some thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took out Monroe and replaced with Detroit Axle struts. Fortunately i i still have the Monroe and I will put the drive side one back.Now that you said that I honestly think i have a strut issue. the Clunky is only audible on bumps up/down movement. Question is how do I replace a strut without screwing up my alignment.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
The new

The old, with only 40k or so.
Note the end of coil.. wore thru the rubber...

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Anything visibke to point to source of noise?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
Detroit Axle parts are what you put in so you can drive it to the lot to trade it in. Tons of unsatisfied customers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts