Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm Looking for anybody who has replaced the rear bushings on the front lower control arms and could give a few tips on how they did it.

Removing the old bushings seems tricky as they look to be pressed in.

Any info on front lower control arm bushing replacement would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
the front ones- are shown in the linked thread- of when I did my front bushing.

Ive also done the rear control arm bushing...
But I just did the easy method
I bought a new control arm that had a new rear bushing- and new ball joint.

the ball joint- you have to grind off the studs etc.
and press out the bushing.
Just easier to buy the new arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
greentraverse, rbarrios Thanks for the reply's, i'm not a 'drive-by' just haven't been on a computer since I posted.

I have thought about just purchasing new control arms and figured it would be the easier route however I already had the bushings.

I have done the front bushings already as they were an easy bolt on item but the rear look trickier and since rbarrios mentioned grinding I guess that's the way to go. Grind off the flange of the bushing and press through. Thought maybe there was a special tool to help press out.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
here is someone grinding the rivets.

Reactions: whiskeybravo

·
Registered
1 Posts
the front ones- are shown in the linked thread- of when I did my front bushing.

Ive also done the rear control arm bushing...
But I just did the easy method
I bought a new control arm that had a new rear bushing- and new ball joint.

the ball joint- you have to grind off the studs etc.
and press out the bushing.
Just easier to buy the new arm.
Both rear and forward bushings on my traverse are bad. I see the forward one is a quick easy swap. But what I’m getting from this is if the rear one needs replacement as well you should just buy a new lower control arm that comes with all new bushings an ball joint? Or is there a way to replace just the rear bushing? I haven’t bought nothing yet so I’m trying to see what’s my best option.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
the fronts are the same way- if youre going to go through the trouble to remove all those suspension pieces-- may as well buy the kits that let you change everything.
control arms, bushings, endlings, outer tie rods etc.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
I'll second it, if one is really bad everything else is worn. Swap in a new complete arm and be done. I've done it that way on previous vehicles in my fleet.
Like the Rock Auto commercial says, ''don't put a good part in a bad neighborhood''.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts