Traverse Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucky for you then. I have a 2012 with the factory installed filter and still issues. :banghead:
I wonder why the dealer wasn't just straight forward with me about the smell and the filter. The more I look over the internet the more I know this issue is very common.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RTA2008 said:
The fumes can be smelled from outside simply because the engine compartment is like a fish bowl. It holds the smell inside. On a wet day the steam comes out of the grill and stinks like the gear oil.

Knowing the smell or not, when you pay more then $40,000 for a car it shouldn't smell. More so when prior owners of 2008 and 2009 models complained of the same smell.

The problem is that people keep buying them. My dealer told me that GM never heard of this issue and maybe it was the smell of the car in front of me!

Go figure!
I get it, its a design flaw, a small one but yes it it exists. With that said I think there could be other issues A LOT worse than a little intermittent gear oil smell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not for the price. Not when it's been on the issue list since 2008. There is no excuse. Maybe the Nissan was a better choice on this one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
RTA2008 said:
Lucky for you then. I have a 2012 with the factory installed filter and still issues. :banghead:
I wonder why the dealer wasn't just straight forward with me about the smell and the filter. The more I look over the internet the more I know this issue is very common.
Do the 2012's have the charcoal filter? I haven't kept up on them so just wondering if that's the difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RTA2008 said:
Not for the price. Not when it's been on the issue list since 2008. There is no excuse. Maybe the Nissan was a better choice on this one.
then go buy a Nissan... what are you trying to accomplish here anyway?? Your first post is basically stating info that everyone here knows already and complaining about it here isn't going to change a thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Cooper but making such a large purchase and being lied to is a big deal to me. I come to this forum to find that more people have the same experience and yet the dealer says they don't know!
I was hoping for a solution not someone being defensive. Sorry to ruin your day.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
@Coppertop666, I can understand your frustration with this. Am I correct in assuming you have already had the vehicle into the dealership about this?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
@Coppertop666, I can understand your frustration with this. Am I correct in assuming you have already had the vehicle into the dealership about this?

Hi Michelle,

I have not had it to the dealer for this issue - I removed the glove box door and inspected it myself to see that the TSB (charcoal filter) was done from the factory. To be honest I don't have much of an issue with the smell so I can live with it. There were others here that had more of a problem so maybe you meant to send this to them instead of me but either way thanks for reaching out! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
@Coppertop666, thanks for the reply.

How have you been?

Do you really want to know?!?! ;)

Still out of power here in NY from Sandy but otherwise things are fine thanks!

You?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It was one of the fixes I actually got done at my last visit. But after complaining three times and telling them what the TSB number was, they could not find it ::) When I received the recipt, it said done as a customer satisfaction ::) It's a real problem, if not, why is there a TSB?
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2726.0

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Goodness, Coppertop666; are you at home or having to stay else where? Do they have an ETA of power for you? We are sending positive thoughts to you for getting your power back on and getting back to normal.

I'm doing well, thanks.

I'll check back with you later this week to see how things are going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Just following up on this older post. We have a 2012 Traverse LTZ, front wheel drive, only 60k miles. Started getting the gear oil smell when we come to a stop light, etc. No AWD as mentioned on this forum. I recently replaced the cabin filter with a new one. Smell is really bad sometimes, we need to open the windows to avoid being affixiated (not really but you get my meaning). It sounds like the root of the problem is that the HVAC intake is positioned in a place that allows it to suck in engine smells. Has anyone tried to relocate the HVAC intake or maybe run a hose off the crankcase/differential vent to a different location so the HVAC doesn't suck in the vapors? I would think with emissions rules being what they are, the car shouldn't be venting all these fumes into the air anyway.

We didn't get the smell until the past year or so, so I was wondering if maybe a geal oil change would reduce it or if maybe there is some other mechanical issue that is making the engine produce more smell than normal.

Thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts