Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm in the minority, since I'm not on facebook, and everyone who is asks if we are, and it's like EVERYONE is on facebook but us. Just thought I'd ask the forums to gauge what is "normal" for forum users.

(with the Lambda forums....who needs facebook right? :happy: )

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm on facebook. Use it to keep in touch with some old high school friends mostly, as often people's email addresses change over time. Easy to PM someone a message and know that if they're active on facebook, you'll probably get a reply. I also use it to post a few pictures for friends and family to enjoy.

You do have to watch out how much info you 'publish' on these advertising sites... and that's what facebook is, really. They make money by selling your information to 3rd parties who sell advertising that targets you depending on what info you provide. One key to keeping this under control is to set your privacy settings to what you feel they should be... those in your 'friends list' see your data, those who are not your friends get locked out.

And I don't participate in any of the annoying games like farmville, mafia wars, and bejeweled quizzes, can't be bothered.

That's just me though... :)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have been on Facebook since last year.

Yes one does have to be careful as to what you "write" on your wall. One thing which is very important is to check out the privacy settings.

Mine are set so ONLY my friends can see anything. If you were to find me the only thing you would see is my "avatar/photo", I can be sent a message or you can friend me. Other than that NOTHING.

So far in the past month I have had three strangers attempt to friend me. I sent them each a message asking where they know me from. No response so no friend accepted AND I have placed a block on each one so they cannot try again.

I have found it a great way to catch up with classmates from high school/college and even family members I have not seen in years.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use it/despise it.

I have friends, business associates, and political contacts who are heavy into Facebook and LinkedIn and Plaxo. I am on them all and hate them all equally.

Forums such as this are far more beneficial and entertaining, IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I quit it a little over a year ago...
Too many messages from people with too much time to waste on Farmville, etc. Drove me nuts!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Evolution of social networks. I used myspace long ago, then facebook. I have not used facebook in easily 6 months. However, I do have a twitter account :eek:hno: Honestly twitter is cool because you can follow people that interest you. I have it on my phone and it kills 2-5 minutes a day while at work. :happy:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe because of my age but I have not found a need for Facebook, texting nor do I have a smartphone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used Myspace way back in the day to find chicks, and got sick of all the spamming and fake accounts. Then I switched to Facebook and have been on there for several years now. My family is so spread out over the globe that it's the only way we can easily keep up on each other.

I can't get the link to the lambda group to work. I only found the chevys traverse page.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
geoffwhite18 said:
I used Myspace way back in the day to find chicks, and got sick of all the spamming and fake accounts. Then I switched to Facebook and have been on there for several years now. My family is so spread out over the globe that it's the only way we can easily keep up on each other.

I can't get the link to the lambda group to work. I only found the chevys traverse page.
I believe the individual who started the FB lambda page shut it down. I was a member on there. FB is a place to keep in touch with friends who are spread out across the country as well as with relatives who are as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts