Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed my rpm needle moves a bit up and down wheather i'm at idle or cruising down the hwy.most noticeable crusing in overdrive. range is about 50-150rpms...is this normal or is this in issue?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmm..
crusing down the highway- (constant speed?)...
Ive seen my needle moves sometimes- but its the trans doing its thing as it shifts up or down...

but at idle...
Are you running AC or anything that could cause a spike in the idle ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rbarrios said:
hmmmmmmmmmm..
crusing down the highway- (constant speed?)...
Ive seen my needle moves sometimes- but its the trans doing its thing as it shifts up or down...

but at idle...
Are you running AC or anything that could cause a spike in the idle ?
no ac...this is a constant movement again very little but i can visually see it move. it seems to drive fine and i don't feel any missing of any sort. are you saying your needle is rock solid steady

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I think mine is...
no funny movements that make it stand out-- aside from the typical shifts..
but it pretty much sits at 600 if its idling...

Ill double check next time I drive it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our's bounces a bit when idling too. It sounds like it is idling OK but the next time I'm at the dealer I'm going to mention this and have them scope the engine. I'm not impressed with city driving fuel economy and wonder if the bouncing rpm gauge could be an indication of an incorrect setup.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
can you scan the OBD port and read the RPM's and compare with the tachs bouncing needle?
(if you have and OBD scanner)....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so rbarrios-what have you evaluated w/ yours..very interested since your in a warm region of the u.s.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbarrios said:
can you scan the OBD port and read the RPM's and compare with the tachs bouncing needle?
(if you have and OBD scanner)....
that would be great to see what obd had to say...unfortuneately i dont have a scanner...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I have not noticed any odd movement.
I do see the needle move when its doing some mild changes between gears- and it eventually settles

I will try to hook up my scanner this evening- and let it idle for about 1 minute- while I watch the needle and graph the rpm's.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
ok got home from work and plugged in the scanner...
temp was 207 initially- and while the engine idled and I hooked up the scanner it went up to 211...

But here are 30 sec of idle time (I chose the 30)...
as you can see its pretty smooth... I even revved the engine and it settled back down to that line.
the tach showed 600 rpm's- always stood still at 600... outside temp was 55 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any new word on this? I have a 2010 1LT and I noticed the same thing with my tachometer needle. I can see it fluctuate as I drive, but dont notice any thing strange with the motor or the drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ThaTraverseMan said:
Any new word on this? I have a 2010 1LT and I noticed the same thing with my tachometer needle. I can see it fluctuate as I drive, but dont notice any thing strange with the motor or the drive.
initially i thought it maybe a 2010 thing until rbarrios chimed in and said his is steady.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
you guys saying its a jerky movement-- as you drive- zig zaggin up and down---
or you see it gently move up/down like the trans is doing something...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine just bounces a very small ammount, like it needs more damping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2010 2LT just bought the other day. less than 500 miles on it, and noticed the tach needle doin a little fluctuating. Not sure what its all about, but its not something I noticed till I read this and it made me look at it. it only wavers 10-50 rpm's or so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
odypilots said:
Mine just bounces a very small ammount, like it needs more damping.
agree, i would assess mine that way as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ckostner said:
I have a 2010 2LT just bought the other day. less than 500 miles on it, and noticed the tach needle doin a little fluctuating. Not sure what its all about, but its not something I noticed till I read this and it made me look at it. it only wavers 10-50 rpm's or so.
i would say mine is more like 50-100rpm's..but like you stated i can't tell at all unless i visually look at it. i just thought it was strange since all my prior vehicles none of them had this behavior. they were rock solid, and this is like what a large cam would do on a v8.so far it looks like its 2010 related though,w/ the exception of rbarrios.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2010. The needle seems to never stay steady even when cruising at a constant speed, but its most noticeable with a cold start. Every other car i've had the needle pretty much stays completely steady at idle so i was kind of concerned, I also thought that it was idling kind of low (either at 500 rpm's or just above). When the dealer checked it they thought i was crazy and said as long as the computer shows no problem it should be fine. Then after complaining to my salesman he let me check two other 2010's that they had on the lot and they both did the exact same thing, so i really don't think its anything to worry about, it may just be just the way the computer is controlling the idle, maybe to save gas or something. If it gets any worse i'll bring it back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rklives said:
I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2010. The needle seems to never stay steady even when cruising at a constant speed, but its most noticeable with a cold start. Every other car i've had the needle pretty much stays completely steady at idle so i was kind of concerned, I also thought that it was idling kind of low (either at 500 rpm's or just above). When the dealer checked it they thought i was crazy and said as long as the computer shows no problem it should be fine. Then after complaining to my salesman he let me check two other 2010's that they had on the lot and they both did the exact same thing, so i really don't think its anything to worry about, it may just be just the way the computer is controlling the idle, maybe to save gas or something. If it gets any worse i'll bring it back.
you have certainly pinned it exactly how mine behaves, i'm taking the wait and see approach as well. i just think it's very odd though. idle should be @ 600rpms when t normal op temps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bowtie said:
i have noticed my rpm needle moves a bit up and down wheather i'm at idle or cruising down the hwy.most noticeable crusing in overdrive. range is about 50-150rpms...is this normal or is this in issue?
I have same situation specially on a cold start, RPM fluctuates and you can heard the engine. Dealer told me that they found nothing wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts