Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to my Traverse, I had a Chevy S10 ( 1997 ), then I had a 2002 Trail Blazer. On both these vehicles, the voltmeter stayed around 14 volts constantly ....until either battery decided to give up.

On the Traverse, the voltmeter starts out at 14 plus volts, may stay there or may "float" down to around 11 or 12 volts, then back up ...then back down.

This floating action doesn't happen quickly, the entire cycle may all occurr while driving for an hour, may depend on city or highway driving, but it will float around.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is normal. The charging circuit is computerized. It monitors battery charge, temperature, electrical load and other stuff and adjust the output voltage accordingly. Supposed to save gas I think.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I thought there was another post/comment regarding this. Mine does the same thing since I got it the end of June. The other post I read said it was common. I wonder if its dropping when the cooling fans come on or some other item that has a big voltage draw.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
im not surprissed by this.
I have read that newer GM cars- the computer can control the alternators output-
no need to pump out lets say 15 volts when only 12 are needed.. (for example).
The alternator becomes a load on the engine when it is generating electricity.
So if it can lighten the load- then the engine is able to save gas.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rbarrios said:
im not surprissed by this.
I have read that newer GM cars- the computer can control the alternators output-
no need to pump out lets say 15 volts when only 12 are needed.. (for example).
The alternator becomes a load on the engine when it is generating electricity.
So if it can lighten the load- then the engine is able to save gas.
It's good to know the voltmeter and electrical are doing what is needed, makes sense now that I read the comments. It is somewhat unnerving to see the gauge gently float up, then down, then back up ....not knowing what the heck is going on.

Thanks for the replies.

bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great to hear that is whats going on, I was getting a little freaked out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yea I was wondering why mine was moving around so much too. See thats why this site is so good we can learn and we don't have to bug the dealers with all these questions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The computer can do other things too, including increasing the idle speed dynamically, and temporarily reducing power demands of some accessories, to prevent the discharge of the battery. It's called Electric Power Management, and is on page 3-15 & 3-16 of the owner's manual http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=543.0 which describes the voltmeter moving up or down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts