Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a traverse 2012 ,my problem was one day when i tried to start the car it starts for 5 seconds and shuts off i had the check engine light flashing and a service theft deterent system
- the check engine light was blinking so fast while the car is off.
i towed the car to the mechanic , changed the ecm every thing worked great so far .
If anyone has any idea on what happened or what the engine signal meant or had a similar experience please tell us about it .

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Had you recently jump started the car?.... used another vehicle to start your dead battery.... or you jump started another car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had you recently jump started the car?.... used another vehicle to start your dead battery.... or you jump started another car?
i had used another car to jump the battery but it didn't go well , the battery was hot and discharging some liquids i had to change it , but i used to disconnect the negative wire from the battery to reset the ecm every time i had something electrical going wrong with car .

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Its very possible that you fried the ECM or PCM.
Jump Starting can be very bad for these parts if not done right
Thats why I kindly say no when folks ask for a jump.

Reactions: rjmcnasty

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jump Starting can be very bad for these parts if not done right
One time, when out in the middle of nowhere while hunting, my buddy's 4runner wouldn't start. Battery was completely dead. A couple of guys eventually drove by and we asked them for a jump, and the guy was going to give us the jump pulled out his cables and said "Let me hook these up, that way if something is messed up on my truck it's my fault and not yours". We were appreciative of the help to say the least lol

·
Registered
2020 High Country
677 Posts
When jumping make sure your vehicle is off when connecting. Any issues in the ''jumpee's'' vehicle will not back feed into your systems. Using yours to charge up the dead battery is a risk you take with todays PCM controlled charging systems. It's not the mechanical voltage regulator days any more.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
the other big mistake on today cars---- disconnecting the battery post cables while engine is running.--- to test and see if the alternator works

the problem is that the electrical system- in this situation- will find a new ground..... ruin stuff.

Reactions: rjmcnasty

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a traverse 2012 ,my problem was one day when i tried to start the car it starts for 5 seconds and shuts off i had the check engine light flashing and a service theft deterent system
- the check engine light was blinking so fast while the car is off.
i towed the car to the mechanic , changed the ecm every thing worked great so far .
If anyone has any idea on what happened or what the engine signal meant or had a similar experience please tell us about it .
Use the under hood terminals to hook the jumpers, positive first, negative second. Never the battery. If you are unsure where under the hood, refer to your owners manual. If you’re going to charge the battery, disconnect it from the vehicle. A flashing check engine light usually means multiple cylinder misfires, but it could be some Voodoo introduced by incorrectly jumping the car or when connecting your battery connecting your positive last instead of the negative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts