Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to give changing the oil in the Traverse a shot after seeing Smokiez's thread with pics. I did end up making a little mess when removing the drain plug though. The oil shot out of the pan further than I thought it would and got some on the garage floor. I was careful taking off the filter and created no major spills with it. It does have some residual oil that will drain off - nothing significant though. So for just over $30 I put 5.5 qts of Mobil 1 synthetic and a Purolator PureOne filter. Dealership wanted $45 for oil change with a supposed lube & tire rotation.

On another note...did my vette as well, which is a bit easier since the filter is straight down and easily accessible. Wish the Traverse was like it.

Murnutz

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I went to drain my pan I held the plug in place until the majority of the oil was drained. It's in a spot where if you pull it right out it will go everywhere. Your definitely not the only one to of made a mess with the location of that plug.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just changed mine for the 1st time also. I left the oil filler cap on while removing the drain screw, I just thought the suction that creates would slow down the flow so it didn't spurt out too far...IT WORKED...

FIlter was a breeze, I just placed a towel under it to catch the oil that always spills out when changing a filter. It's in kinda a sucky place because of everything benith it but the rag did a reallyu good job. The entire change took about 15 minutes, not too bad.

Kg

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes once you do it a few times and get the system down changing the oil is easy.

I like how they sell a Lube service when all the moving parts are Lube-less.

I have never seen a grease fitting yet under there has anyone else?

·
Registered
718 Posts
No grease fittings that I could see. Not like the 11 on my truck. I think they've eliminated most of the zerks on the new trucks as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I haven't seen any grease jerks either ??? Not even on the drive shaft yokes ? The seal areas with the bearings and bushings last longer
being factory but once the seal is broken from debris like stones and dirt they wear out very fast .
It always a good to examine these sealed parts when your changing the oil , only takes a few minute with a good flashlight ..Preventable maintenance. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the only zerks Ive seen- none on the Traverse...none on the trailblazer... until I replaced the front sway bar endlinks (on Trailblazer) at about 120,000. The replacements had Zerks on them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Only the after market replacement parts have zerks , if you were to buy the same GM part they probably won't have grease zerks.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
these were AC DELCO replacements-prob made by a 3rd party?---or AC DELCO not count as GM?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts