Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 3 week old (approx. 935 km/ 550 miles) Traverse to my local mechanic. I supplied the AC Delco filter and now Q Horsepower 5W30 synthetic. As others have mentioned it wasnt easy accessing the filter and it was for sure on factory tight. The oil that came out was pitch black; mostly city/town driving.

I'm glad I did the change even at such a low mileage as some of the metal #s are high. Can you imagine what it would be if I had waited for the magical 3k mile mark.

Anyways I will likely do the next change at 1500 miles and then do an interval of 3000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fill me in, please.

I'm ignorant to all this oil analysis deal and what the hype is over this super fine synthetic oil and dumping the factory fill and what not.

I'm at 900 miles and my MPG isn't what I'd like it to be. Of course, even if it were doing 50 MPGs it still wouldn't be where I'd want it ;D. Anyhow, I wonder why go through all this trouble over oil. Please enlighten me. Thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have read I am convinced that this DI engine will benefit from a 'full' synthetic oil. And I think that the prevailing thought is that several frequent oil changes at the beginning for a new car is beneficial...removing excessive particles that may be there as the brand new engine 'sheds' some grit that may be present due to the manufacturing process and extra engine wear in in the beginning. And just to make sure that this engine is wearing well I will send in some samples to get analyzed. For (much) more info re UOAs see here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=56

·
Registered
69 Posts
copperbeech said:
From what I have read I am convinced that this DI engine will benefit from a 'full' synthetic oil. And I think that the prevailing thought is that several frequent oil changes at the beginning for a new car is beneficial...removing excessive particles that may be there as the brand new engine 'sheds' some grit that may be present due to the manufacturing process and extra engine wear in in the beginning. And just to make sure that this engine is wearing well I will send in some samples to get analyzed. For (much) more info re UOAs see here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=56
Does the lab that performs this analysis keep a database with your engines analysis history or is this something that one has to log themselves? I ask for the sake of having a baseline of sorts to be able to gauge/monitor engine wear, be it improving or degrading.

Where can I get this kit?

Do shops have these as a regularly stocked item?

Can repair shops provide this service for the vehicle owner?

If not, can the tech put the necessary amount aside to fill the analysis container?

I know, lots of questions. Bare in mind that I'm a complete ignorant on the subject and that your help is tremendously appreciated.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Da Rafsta said:
Does the lab that performs this analysis keep a database with your engines analysis history or is this something that one has to log themselves?
All reports are emailed to you and are also accessible on line.

·
Registered
69 Posts
copperbeech said:
All reports are emailed to you and are also accessible on line.
Sorry for being such a newb on the subject. :-\

I updated that post with more specific questions. If you could answer those please.... :binky:

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Where can I get this kit?
this is the company I use...
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Do shops have these as a regularly stocked item?
I dont know of shops having these stocked as 'regular' items.

Can repair shops provide this service for the vehicle owner?
im sure a repair shop can provide the service-- but all theyd do is send it off to the same place you would and get the same results you would.

If not, can the tech put the necessary amount aside to fill the analysis container?
yes- you can have whoever changes your oil- let the oil drain for a bit- then halfway thru the oil draining process- take a sample to fill the bottle..
then give it to you....

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
here is the last oil analysis I had done some time ago.
I was shy of 104,000. Oil had been in for 10,554 miles.
No oil was added during those 10,554 miles.
Change oil light HAD NOT come on- I had time to change it- and knew I was nearing the end of the oil life.
I did not reset the OLM.. and just like the oil analysis people said- the oil could go a bit longer... and it did... about 400 miles later- my light came on.
(im now close to hitting 145,000)-- and and thinking of having another analysis to see how the engine is doing near the 150,000 mark.
Im currently at about 10,200 miles since my last oil change.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update: This past week I did receive the Blackstone Analysis. I have added it to my original post. See above (post #1).

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
i sent for an oil analysis on our 07 Impala- it was on its 2nd oil change and it was still showing high #'s for something-- but the Blackstone guys mentioned that the engine was still breaking in at this low mileage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After reading all of the interesting posts here about oil analysis , I still am confused. Simply put, my LS is about 4 months old and has only 1500 miles of mostly city driving and the oil lfe monitor says 85% left which I think is a bunch of bull.. I checked my oil and is Black after only 1500 miles. As I have owned many new cars, I have never seen oil this dark and dirty after only 1500 miles. .I am goig to the dealer tomorrow and getting it changed and I guess he will laugh his butt off when I ask him to change it. Has anyone seen their oil black after only 1500 miles or so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
njboy said:
After reading all of the interesting posts here about oil analysis , I still am confused. Simply put, my LS is about 4 months old and has only 1500 miles of mostly city driving and the oil lfe monitor says 85% left which I think is a bunch of bull.. I checked my oil and is Black after only 1500 miles. As I have owned many new cars, I have never seen oil this dark and dirty after only 1500 miles. .I am goig to the dealer tomorrow and getting it changed and I guess he will laugh his butt off when I ask him to change it. Has anyone seen their oil black after only 1500 miles or so.
I did mine at 1400. The oil was dark. I did my oil change at a station...they too had that confused look. When they drained the oil though, they were surprised thinking I wasn't such a tool after all. Break-in people....I just hope the next time I do the oil change it isn't so bad.........or crystal clear if possible. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic. I'll do the oil change right at 5K miles. I'll continue to do it right at 5K miles until the oiler clears up to my expectations in case this break-in lasts a few more oil changes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Da Rafsta said:
I did mine at 1400. The oil was dark. I did my oil change at a station...they too had that confused look. When they drained the oil though, they were surprised thinking I wasn't such a tool after all. Break-in people....I just hope the next time I do the oil change it isn't so bad.........or crystal clear if possible. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic. I'll do the oil change right at 5K miles. I'll continue to do it right at 5K miles until the oiler clears up to my expectations in case this break-in lasts a few more oil changes.

I am going to try and go for 3000 miles next time. And like you, I hope it will look a lot cleaner. As we do not drive a whole bunch, I usually change twice a year minimum. Oil changes are cheap insurance !!

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
any of you guys doing the early oil changes going to get oil analysis done?
Oil being dark doesnt tell us much for the actual condition of the oil.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rbarrios said:
any of you guys doing the early oil changes going to get oil analysis done?
As you can see in my original post I did get a UOA at around the 550 mile mark.

I will get another oil change later this week at around the 1500 mile mark and I will send it to Blackstone for an analysis. I am doing my bit ;).

·
Registered
2 Posts
copperbeech said:

I will get another oil change later this week at around the 1500 mile mark and I will send it to Blackstone for an analysis. I am doing my bit ;).
Interesting read everybody, I had no idea about changing the oil before 3K miles on my new Traverse.
I am at 530 miles right now so I will look into getting the oil changed soon.

So are we in agreement that a full synthetic is the best type of oil to use in an 09 Traverse? What does Chevy recommend?

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
copperbeech said:

yup I saw it...
Just wondering if more people will join in and have oil analysis done. so that we can have an idea of what this engine can do- Being that its the newer DI.
Just saying that the oil is dark- wont do....

and if you do decide to get an analysis--- have them do the TBN- (extra charge)...
What is a TBN, In short, a TBN (total base number) measures the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil.
most people will find that the oil they thought was bad---is actually still quite good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm about to hit 12k miles and will send that in for an analysis. I will post the results. I ran Mobil 1 full synthetic for 6K w/ a K&N Oil Filter.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stumpk said:
I'm about to hit 12k miles and will send that in for an analysis. I will post the results. I ran Mobil 1 full synthetic for 6K w/ a K&N Oil Filter.
I am looking forward to this UOA. Please sample soon!

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
very cool copperbeech.
Also looking forward to those results.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts