Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a new traverse and I am at 3000 miles on my odometer however the info center tells me I still have 50 % oil life remaining. Reading the service manual, it seems to indicate I can wait until it shows the oil life is out and ready to be changed. The oil life indicator has never been reset. When should I take it in for the first service ?

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is what I am doing with my Traverse. Changed oil at 3000ish miles to Mobil One and will now change the oil at about 30% oil life per monitor. To give you some of my history I used to be a certified tech 10+ years ago and I am firm believer in synthetic oils and the better mileage I get is an added benefit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I changed my Oil on my new Traverse at about 1500 Miles. I went with Royal Purple. My only beef is the removal of the Factory Oil Filter. I have yet to get it off. Looks like a trip to the dealer to have them "Crack" the filter off. Since I changed the oil, my mpg has been between 19.5 and 23. I only have about 2500 miles on the Traverse. My question to DANTHECHEVYMAN is: How the **** did you get your Factory Oil Filter off? I tried all types of tools short of sending a screw driver through it! Any advice? Any special tool out there? Thanks in advance. :help:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use one of the plastic caps that fit over the end of the filter and attach to a ratchet to get mine on and off. This is on an 08 Enclave but should be basically the same I believe. You should have no issue generating enough torque with one of those. The trick is getting the correct size. I would go to an auto parts store and try the various sizes they have on the filters that fit the Lambda's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm at 3100 miles now, and my oil life says 70%. I don't know if that's possible or not, but I assume the computer is sniffing some glue in its downtime (maybe that's the odd smell coming through my a/c vents :p )...but I'm going in soon to get it changed anyway.

Joe

·
Registered
201 Posts
The oil life monitor measures many different things to get the percentage like how you drive, how long the engine idles, engine temperature, shift points, etc, 3100 miles at 70% is not unheard of either. Oil today is far superior to what we had even 10-15 years ago this is all taken into account when GM engineered the system. I personally would change the oil now and then follow the oil life system, I personally only use Mobil 1 and have no complaints believe the extra insurance is worth it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry did not see your earlier message. I really do know I bring mine to work and they change my oil. I decided after i got out of the mechanical side of the business that I did not want to deal with waste oil and the health and environmental problems that come with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
danthechevyman said:
Sorry did not see your earlier message. I really do know I bring mine to work and they change my oil. I decided after i got out of the mechanical side of the business that I did not want to deal with waste oil and the health and environmental problems that come with it.
Hmmm. Well, that's good to know. I've been out of the auto parts industry for about 20 years, so I haven't been keeping up. I didn't think there was much room for improvement or growth with oil.

Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
The first and only time we got a dealership oil change was back after our last new car purchase when we got a coupon from the dealer. My wife thought the oil change was almost too quick. At her next 3k mile oil change, the person doing that change "advised" my wife that she really needs to change her oil more regularly. It had never looked as bad as it did at that point in time.

So, now, she is asking if the Traverse oil filter is changed out to a different filter that we supply the dealer, can she be sure that the oil has been fully drained? I told her to just have them show her the dipstick before and after and compare, but I am not sure if she will see anything different on this first oil change...

She wants to take the Traverse to the same dealership (that we purchased it from) just to be sure the first oil filter change-out is handled ok.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey t4 as I plan to supply my own oil and get several samples analyzed I wont be getting any oil changes at the dealer. For this I have a local one man mechanic shop. I see him do the change using my stuff and he has no problem me taking a sample. Maybe you know of a small shop near you that will do similarly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My wife is worried about how hard it appears to be to remove the oil filter the first time.
She figures it would be best to put this on the dealer since the existing filter is a factory install.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wow I am impressed that your better half cares about such things. But then again I am glad mine doesnt. I like thinking and planning oil changes and oil and filter selections all by myself! If you take it to the dealer I guess you plan to have them use a non synthetic oil? I so like being able to see my mechanic do the actual oil change. For sure any mechanic will be able to remove the factory installed filter. But you are right it will be tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed my oil and filter at 800 miles. I simply don't trust what I haven't put in myself. The filter was hard to remove - I had to use a strap wrench to loosen and wrapped my knuckles pretty good doing so. Guess those robots are strong. I used regular old Pennzoil and a decent filter (Napa Gold - my second choice behind Purolator).

·
Registered
185 Posts
copperbeech said:
If you take it to the dealer I guess you plan to have them use a non synthetic oil?
Actually, the dealer told me I could give them the oil and the filter. Since the filter would be a different company, I will know for sure that this was changed. Like I said though, not sure about the oil. Just because I give them the Mobil-1 and I do not get it back does not mean it made it's way into the Traverse.

·
Registered
994 Posts
t4me said:
Just because I give them the Mobil-1 and I do not get it back does not mean it made it's way into the Traverse.
It is crazy that we think like this but for peace of mind I have my oil and filter changed at an independent where I am more than welcome to see what gets done and can ask questions of the tech who actually works on the car. It has been my experience that it is like pulling teeth to be able to speak with the actual mechanic that did work on ones car if taken to a dealership.

Reactions: Ed999

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can I ask all of you a question? Do you think all dealers are trying to rip you off? At the dealership that I work at the Quicklube bays are in the front of service and through windows you can see what they are doing and during the warmer days the doors are open and you can watch from outside. I used to be a certified tech and can tell you it does not matter who you have service your vehicle if you can't trust them. Get to know your preferred shop/dealer and they will treat you with respect and great service.
Please remember that not all dealers, techs, repair shops or salespeople are the same.
Thank you all for listening to my frustration. :thumb:

·
Registered
994 Posts
danthechevyman said:
Can I ask all of you a question? Do you think all dealers are trying to rip you off?
Of course not dan.

But it is has been my experiencee that it is much easier discussing one's car and its maintenance with the owner/mechanic of an independent than with the dealer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts