Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil at 2663 mile, 3 months after purchased date, probably due to frequent short trips in the winter time, the OLM reading is 64%.

I had expected the filter is tight, so I prepared oil filter plier, but it didn't work, only make dents on it. Then I bought a standard wrap tool, no good. Finally a Stanley joint groove plier did the job easily. For traverse there is enough space to allow this plier to reach from top and it can grab the filter firmly and easily. Recommend to everyone that has difficulty to remove the filter.

I put 5qts Pennzoil Ultra and PF-48 filter. I know PF-63 is better, but I can't get it easily, PF-48 should be ok considering the factory one is the same.

I didn't use anything to lift it and can reach the oil drain bolt from under just need turn the front wheels to right(thanks a thread mentioned), also put a Fumoto valve instead the bolt back, so next time just open the valve to drain the hot oil.

I learned a lot from this forum, thanks.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
thanks for the info...
So far from the 2011 lambdas--- it appears that on average- its about 8o miles per 1%.
This includes cold temps. but since you started 3 months ago on this oil- then there should be some warm weather in there...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, in cold weather, OLM drops much faster.

rbarrios said:
thanks for the info...
So far from the 2011 lambdas--- it appears that on average- its about 8o miles per 1%.
This includes cold temps. but since you started 3 months ago on this oil- then there should be some warm weather in there...
Thanks for reminder. Right, Ultra is not approved, but per Pennzoil why only PP is because the company chose Platinum to test and pass. Ultra is a superior oil than platinum, to my understanding, it should easily pass the test. Will ultra cause engine damage? I don't think so.

zman said:
FWIW, keep in mind that Ultra is not dexos approved, but Platinum is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I did buy a 5 qts plus a 1 qt oil, but after poured the 5 qts, the oil level was already above the cone tip and a little on the wire of the dipstick, which is exactly the factory oil level. Even after I drove 200 miles, and recheck the oil level, the same. I did drain over 5 qts old oil. So probably, 5 qts is enough.

After I drained the oil, it took , a little scare to me, another day to take off the filter. but I didn't open the valve to drain again after filter removal. Is it possible some oil in the filter went to oil pan?

jwhjr said:
FYI - the manual calls for 5.5 qts

·
Registered
115 Posts
popeyelk said:
Thanks for reminder. Right, Ultra is not approved, but per Pennzoil why only PP is because the company chose Platinum to test and pass. Ultra is a superior oil than platinum, to my understanding, it should easily pass the test. Will ultra cause engine damage? I don't think so.
I don't disagree. I am not the type that likes dealing with BS from a dealer however, so just to be on the safe side I am sticking with Platinum in case I ever have engine issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that platinum is a safer choice or politically correct, but I feel more comfortable to use a better oil.

zman said:
I don't disagree. I am not the type that likes dealing with BS from a dealer however, so just to be on the safe side I am sticking with Platinum in case I ever have engine issues.

A

·
0 Posts
It seems as though we are splitting hairs with Ultra and Platinum; both oils are more than capable of delivering protection as needed. Could a dealer try and throw an internal engine issue back on the owner for not using Platinum.............I guess

·
Registered
860 Posts
AA/78U said:
Unfortunately; you're right :sosad:
Yes, unfortunately this is true...

Once again, this is why I make sure I have a relationship with the man whose name is on the sign out front.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quantum said:
Some dealerships will try anything!
Unfortunately so will some owners. I just heard today of a fella I know casually who son was driving one of his vehicles (not GM) and a rod wen thru the block. The kid has wide tires, a big sewer pipe exhaust on it and those the know him say he is nuts behind the wheel. But the old man is fighting tooth and nail with the import dealer to get a new engine under the extended warranty they bought. All the dealer people think it was red lined so they zone rep has to approve a new engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Driving for a week after put Pennzoil Ultra in, I can feel the SUV is much quieter and smoother than before, especially in the morning climb a small hill when cold.
I also plan to change the PF48 filter only in the middle of my next oil change, it is cheap, I guess it should be better than just use one PF63.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am just about ready for my first oil change, the fumoto valve sounds interesting, which model # did you order ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct, I used qwikvalve.com, $25.95 + $5.95 for both plus free shipping(bought two, one for another car) , no tax in TN.

Every time we screw/unscrew the oil drain bolt, the force applied may add bad effects to the oil pan seals that cause leak laterly, I guess the drain valve can avoid it from happening?

copperbeech said:
F-107 Valve with nipple & Adaptor ADP107

·
Registered
28 Posts
May I ask why you bought the adapter? It says on the web site the onle Chevy engines that need the are Chevrolet '99&on 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, HHR eco-tech 2.2L engines

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked the forum, some posts mentioned you can't screw it down seated without the adapter for older Lambda model. When I got the parts, I forgot to check if it is the same case though.

ryansandrapowell said:
May I ask why you bought the adapter? It says on the web site the onle Chevy engines that need the are Chevrolet '99&on 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, HHR eco-tech 2.2L engines

1 - 20 of 21 Posts