Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after hearing everyone else talk about the oil filter I was determined to do this with out a mess.

So my secret is RAGS RAGS RAGS... I crawled under and pushed in five shop towels. Then put four more in from the top.

Then when I took the filter off the rags caught all the oil.

So my first oil change is done. I also checked the brakes and clean them and rotated all the tires.

So I'm good to go again.

I will say don't even bother trying to remove the oil filter from underneath.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at 12,000km and at 18% oil life. I changed it now as I'm going to be very busy the next few weeks when it comes due.

Plus It will not hurt to get the oil out early as it's the oil that went through the break in.

Plus it was very black.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Congrats on doing your own oil and filter change. I have to tell you; that' one automotive chore I am not interested undoing for myself.

You know, there's been a lot of discussion here about protecting your warranty by taking the car to the dealer for oil changes and by using exactly what GM put in at the factory.

I seem to recall the government slapping Honda's hand severely a few years back when their literature seemed to indicate that the owner must use OE oil and filter in order to protect their warranty status. My understanding is that one must use API "approved" oil and filters and that mfgrs can't penalize owners for doing so.

I've been taking mine to the dealer for oil changes, but I may not always be able to every time.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use AC-Delco filters as from all my research they are one of the better filters.

I have always changed my own oil and and do my own service on the entire vehicle. I have never had issues with warranty.

As for dealership oil I feel it is not as good as other oils on the market. The dealers bring their oil in bulk. So it has a habit of settling and you can get oil that is thinner or to thick.

But they will never admit this.

Plus I have better use for my money the paying them what they want for an hours work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts