Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Traverse did pretty well over 2800 miles last week with four adult-sized people and five pieces of luggage. The DIC isn't too accurate yet as it displayed nearly 26 MPG, but hand-calculation revealed 24.5 MPG--still very respectable.

However, we're taking it in Thursday as the vehicle would surge while climbing hills (nothing too steep and mountain passes though) whether or not the A/C was on. We dropped about 4000' in elevation on the trip away from home and I filled up with premium top tier fuel to see if that would help--no dice. Toward the end of our return trip the transmission wasn't shifting quite as it should have been as we would slow down to a stop, then accelerate going away from intersections. Engine RPM would increase a bit before the transmission fully engaged into the next gear. My guess is that the vehicle electronics need some updates, but I can't be certain. Our 2010 needed a transmission update pretty early, so I'm not completely surprised here. Still, nothing in DIC has alerted us to any vehicle faults, so hopefully the dealer can diagnose the issues should the issues be present while they're driving it. If not, at least they have record of what we're experiencing if we have to make a return trip later. They were great while we owned the previous 2010 and I've no reason to believe we'll be treated any differently.

I'll post updates as I have them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good post. I'm about to go on a long trip myself once mine is delivered and prepped

I have a new 19 Premier loaner while mine is being delivered and I experienced the same transmission surges just city driving.

Keep us posted on the tranny work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Other than the seats being a tad too firm, I love how my Traverse dominates the highway in a smooth quiet demeanor. Low road noise with that awesome Bose sound system really makes for great road trips. The only thing I would add is the adaptive cruise control but I can live with it as is. Wish I had it in March when we drove from IL to TX and back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picking up our Traverse today. Looking forward to doing some road trips now that I will have a reliable car again!
Let us know what you find out when you bring it in to be checked out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
28 miles of in-town testing, no codes stored in the system, fuel trims look good, no symptoms present. We’ve given the service manager permission to drive it home tonight and back in the morning and there are some steep grades on the freeway heading to his place. Hopefully symptoms are present during this time.

More updates tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went on a mountain trip month ago transmission shift was up and down to much . Last week other mountain road trip drove it on (L) low much better drive . I say try driving in Low . Next time

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went on a mountain trip month ago transmission shift was up and down to much . Last week other mountain road trip drove it on (L) low much better drive . I say try driving in Low . Next time

I drove most of the trip in L and manually downshifted into 8th gear as I began climbing steeper hills. Then I upshifted back to 9th after a few seconds which allowed the transmission to upshift as the grade flattened. I tried D as well with no better luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dealer found no appreciable issues, but our visit is documented should something more serious occur in the future. The shop manager couldn’t stop talking about how much he liked the new Traverse though as it was his first time driving a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just drove my 2018 (purchased November 2017) High Country AWD from Williamsburg, Virginia to Port Canaveral, Florida and back...1600 miles. It has made this trip 2x since purchased new, but it has also made the trip North to Canada 3x. I almost always achieve 26mpg or higher. Enroute to Florida, I hit 27.1. I believe this is pretty accurate at this point and that the truck is well broken in with 19K miles. While I don't drive aggressively, I never try and hyper-mile either. Coming back last night I had the cruise set at 79mph. I'm not sure there is a comparable SUV out there that can consistently achieve this fuel economy! My ONLY complaint with this vehicle is the back-up camera frequently distorts when putting into reverse. It has been in twice, but the dealer his yet to rectify.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I just back from a 1,700 mile round trip in the new 19 Premier. I agree that the Premier got around 26.2 miles per gal, rode and drove excellent for its size and can hold a ton of stuff including 3 30lb dogs. Couldn't be happier and at this point, a wise choice. Smooth and the right amount power when needed. Being in the Premier for around 12 hours to Colorado Springs from St. Louis, you need Satellite and Bose... The seats were comfortable and didn't have any issues. I disabled the adaptive control so I could miss the chuck holes and stay on the smooth payment and did not have to fight to stay straight...

As great as the Premier is, there could be changes like the front sun roof shade could be electric (17 Impala Premier is electric and got spoiled) so you can open to your desired position. The rear door is a hassle since the entire door has to open (could be like the Tahoe where the glass opens only) and could drive with it open or to get stuff out w/o having to open the entire door in a tight spot. Could have used bright white fog lights for better vision vs the OEM halogen (the new GM trucks have them) especially in the Colorado canyons at night, could have really helped the LED headlights.

While around 16K elevation - high up on Pikes Peak, I passed a dead 19 Ford Expedition waiting for a tow... embarrassing. He didn't look to happy. The brakes and tranny did excellent. Wished I had paddle shifters on the steering wheel on the way down to keep both hands on the steering wheel instead of the stupid L with + and - on the shifter.

The Traverse handled the trip like a champ... Glad I had it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just back from a 1,700 mile round trip in the new 19 Premier. I agree that the Premier got around 26.2 miles per gal, rode and drove excellent for its size and can hold a ton of stuff including 3 30lb dogs. Couldn't be happier and at this point, a wise choice. Smooth and the right amount power when needed. Being in the Premier for around 12 hours to Colorado Springs from St. Louis, you need Satellite and Bose... The seats were comfortable and didn't have any issues. I disabled the adaptive control so I could miss the chuck holes and stay on the smooth payment and did not have to fight to stay straight...

As great as the Premier is, there could be changes like the front sun roof shade could be electric (17 Impala Premier is electric and got spoiled) so you can open to your desired position. The rear door is a hassle since the entire door has to open (could be like the Tahoe where the glass opens only) and could drive with it open or to get stuff out w/o having to open the entire door in a tight spot. Could have used bright white fog lights for better vision vs the OEM halogen (the new GM trucks have them) especially in the Colorado canyons at night, could have really helped the LED headlights.

While around 16K elevation - high up on Pikes Peak, I passed a dead 19 Ford Expedition waiting for a tow... embarrassing. He didn't look to happy. The brakes and tranny did excellent. Wished I had paddle shifters on the steering wheel on the way down to keep both hands on the steering wheel instead of the stupid L with + and - on the shifter.

The Traverse handled the trip like a champ... Glad I had it.

Sounds like we took a similar trip, but we were going to St. Louis. We are in the Fort Collins area about two hours north of the Springs.

We don’t have the sunroof (purposely) as we didn’t use it enough in our 2010.

I agree—paddle shifters on the steering wheel would be a great addition.

While the view from the summit of Pikes Peak is awesome, I’m sorry to burst your bubble and tell you it’s only 14,110’. I haven’t driven that road in many years, but it’s awfully cool.

Enjoy the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts