Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tinted the glass of my sunroof with dark gray tint film. I did the front one this afternoon and I'll do the moonroof in a day or two.

After i've gotten the chance to drive it in bright overhead sun, I'll report back and tell how much of a difference i can detect versus no tint. My hope is that it will filter out the brightest rays that come thru the mesh cover. I also hope it reduces heat in the process.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
cool... no pics ? before and after?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos are forthcoming. I took some before pics of the sunroof, but haven't taken the after ones yet. I thought I'd also take a piece of the film and apply it temporarily to a section of the moonroof and photograph that to give a side by side view.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Isn't your sunroof tinted to 20% already? Mine is I know. The glass looks exactly the same as the rear windows, and doesn't let much light in at all with the shade pulled.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When we test drove our dealer-demo model, I was annoyed by the pinholes in the tint as well. It was a super bright sunny day, and during the demo loop circuit, the pinholes allowed bright piercing rays of light to get through at an angle that even bypassed my Oakley sunglasses. I was amazed at how such a little thing annoyed me so quick, so I know how the OP feels.

That helped our decision to ensure that the truck we bought did NOT have a sunroof.

Looking forward to pics when you have them though... cool mod!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roberto -Here's a pretty sorry iPhone photograph showing my sunroof partially opened with the tinted glass on the right and the open sky on the left. The black band is the leading edge of the sunroof. The sky is bright but partially overcast today. The sky still looks great through the glass, it's just much darker.

--- By the way, it's hard to get a good picture pointing the camera lens straight up and the bright/dark caused problems also. I'll take more at home with a proper camera and also of the moonroof tint project.

GXPWeasel - my sunroof may have had a slight tint before, but not much. Without tint, there was very little difference between open and closed. I can see a little strip of un-tinted glass along the edge where I trimmed the film and the difference between tint and no tint is striking. Is it possible that your dealer added tint to your sunroof?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
thats a significant difference!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a full day of driving to and from the office and around town, I can report that I am very pleased with the reduced rays of light coming in through my tinted sunroof. And, Yes, I can really tell a difference.

I recommend anyone doing the same if they've wished for less glare coming in from above. See my added reply below for more details.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't get home early enough to take more pictures or to tackle the moonroof tint job, but, I thought someone might be interested to know what I used to do the tinting. I'm pretty sure there's a difference between types of window tint film, but I figured I didn't need anything super high tech to cover a couple of panes of glass in the roof of a car.

So, I shopped around and ending up buying GILA brand Smoke window film at Lowe's Home Improvement. The box of film (a roll 36" x 77") was $12. The installation kit (spray solution, squeegee, lint-free wiper, and razor knife) was another $9. I added a half dozen single edge razor blades and some paper coffee filters (they make great extra lint-free window wipes). In case you're wondering, the instructions are easy to follow. Just don't shortcut the cleaning process and make sure you use lots of the spray solution before and during the installation. (Of course, the newer the car, the easier the sunroof will be to clean.)

All totaled, the project will come in under $25 and take about 1 hour of labor to give a durable, dark tint covering
the sunroof and moonroof and that, in my opinin, will make any vehicle a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, GILA also makes a "Bronze" tint film which might be a good choice for those with tan interiors. Or, you could use the smoke as it seems to have a slightly blue cast to it. If you want something darker, they have a "Black" film that still lets light in, but is very dark. They all install the same way -, i.e., clean well, wet the glass, apply the film, squeegee smooth, and trim. It's not that hard although I am not going to attempt any side glass where the neighbors could actually see if I left a tiny bubble here or there - I don't think I did for the record.

Okay, enough marketing for GILA. I don't get paid for selling their stuff, so I'll quit doing it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
andylibby said:
GXPWeasel - my sunroof may have had a slight tint before, but not much. Without tint, there was very little difference between open and closed. I can see a little strip of un-tinted glass along the edge where I trimmed the film and the difference between tint and no tint is striking. Is it possible that your dealer added tint to your sunroof?
I don't think that they did, as the sunroof in the Traverse, seems the same as it was in my GXP. I guess I could also just be used to having a sunroof, and therefore it doesn't bother me. The last 5 cars I have had, with the exception of my current Silverado, have all had either sunroofs or T-tops.

·
Registered
40 Posts
zepcom said:
When we test drove our dealer-demo model, I was annoyed by the pinholes in the tint as well. It was a super bright sunny day, and during the demo loop circuit, the pinholes allowed bright piercing rays of light to get through at an angle that even bypassed my Oakley sunglasses. I was amazed at how such a little thing annoyed me so quick, so I know how the OP feels.

That helped our decision to ensure that the truck we bought did NOT have a sunroof.

Looking forward to pics when you have them though... cool mod!
exactly how we felt, and the exact reason why my wife and I did NOT order the sunroof option. Mesh covers? c'mon...thats lame, If I want it closed, I want it closed, not some sort of mesh covering that still lets light through. I THINK someone told me that the enclaves come with a solid sunroof covering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts