Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this weekend and got a new HD camera and decided to record the popping noise that the Traverse has been making...please tell me your view on it and if you have had or have the same problem.
the popping noise appears at the 0:03 second mark

note: the first noise it the emergency brake being released

Traverse clunking noise

A

·
0 Posts
It doesn't appear that you are turning the wheel and the noise is tough to pick up; are you certain this is a steering noise?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we are not certain where the noise is coming from....we do know that it is coming from the front end. The reason i say it is coming from the steering is because sometimes when we do turn the wheels in the morning it makes that pop but for some reason it did it without turning the wheels...maybe the problem is getting worse! ???

A

·
0 Posts
These noises can be tough to diagnose; to me it seemed to happen right after you started backing up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i will try my best tomorrow and friday morning since the temperature is expected to drop and it usually does the pop more when it is very cold

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sorry, as I can't see the video here at work :angryfire:

Maybe I'm wrong, or way off base, but is it maybe your brakes sticking a little bit from moisture? If you say it happens in the mornings, and is worse on colder mornings, and coming from what sounds like the front end, it could very well be play in the brake calipers/pads on the rotors, or it sticking a bit from the little over night corrosion of the rotor to pad. ???

Just some more suggestions, and sorry if this has already been mentioned or looked into. I just know it helps to have some outsiders throw ideas out some times.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
Sorry, as I can't see the video here at work :angryfire:

Maybe I'm wrong, or way off base, but is it maybe your brakes sticking a little bit from moisture? If you say it happens in the mornings, and is worse on colder mornings, and coming from what sounds like the front end, it could very well be play in the brake calipers/pads on the rotors, or it sticking a bit from the little over night corrosion of the rotor to pad. ???

Just some more suggestions, and sorry if this has already been mentioned or looked into. I just know it helps to have some outsiders throw ideas out some times.
GXP- I saw the video- and I noticed there was no steering wheel turning- the vehicle is being backed up-- and I thought the same thing- brake pads sticking....

i went back and replayed the video several times- and the noise does happen right as he begins to back up...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since posting this video up, we have taken in the Traverse twice! in less than two weeks!!!

The first time we took it in, this is what they did

E9492 Apply grease on strut piston rod

12335 Lubricated strut piston rod E9492/ test drove vehicle in order to duplicate customer concer. Upon test drive, were not able to duplicate customer concern. For customer satisfaction performed lubrication on struts with dielectric grease, reinstalled all items on vehicle[/color]

The next day, again the Traverse started to pop!!!

Then we took it in once AGAiN yesterday and this is what they did now

E9740 Sterring grear replacement
E2000 Wheel alingment steering wheel angle and/or front toe adjustment

12600 found steering gear causing noise E9740/E2000
during inspection for noise, test drove with service advisor in order to pinpoint source and noise. found noise of concer is coming from steering gear area.

H0043 Rear disc brake pads replacement[/color]

Now going to wait till tomorrow and see if this will be the final fix because we are very tired of taking the traverse to the dealer! :angryfire:

·
Registered
115 Posts
rbarrios said:
GXP- I saw the video- and I noticed there was no steering wheel turning- the vehicle is being backed up-- and I thought the same thing- brake pads sticking....

i went back and replayed the video several times- and the noise does happen right as he begins to back up...
A little late to the game here, but that was my initial thought as well.

I wonder why they replaced the rear pads? They fixed/replaced two things so it will be hard to tell which it was if the noise is now gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh sorry i forgot to add that we complained about the brakes squealing while stopping and they replaced the brake pads

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
angelca1993 said:
Since posting this video up, we have taken in the Traverse twice! in less than two weeks!!!

The first time we took it in, this is what they did

E9492 Apply grease on strut piston rod

12335 Lubricated strut piston rod E9492/ test drove vehicle in order to duplicate customer concer. Upon test drive, were not able to duplicate customer concern. For customer satisfaction performed lubrication on struts with dielectric grease, reinstalled all items on vehicle[/color]

The next day, again the Traverse started to pop!!!

Then we took it in once AGAiN yesterday and this is what they did now

E9740 Sterring grear replacement
E2000 Wheel alingment steering wheel angle and/or front toe adjustment

12600 found steering gear causing noise E9740/E2000
during inspection for noise, test drove with service advisor in order to pinpoint source and noise. found noise of concer is coming from steering gear area.

H0043 Rear disc brake pads replacement[/color]

Now going to wait till tomorrow and see if this will be the final fix because we are very tired of taking the traverse to the dealer! :angryfire:

Those highlighted letters in RED just reconfirmed my color blindness/difficulty to see red and why I did not purchase an Acadia! :happy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same noise and it only occurs when temps are below freezing with the engine cold. When you turn the wheel from dead center you hear a clunk. I haven't tried to discuss with a dealer due to the temp factor. When the car is heated up, the noise disappears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue on my Acadia, when I took it to the dealer they first did the grease the struts, that did not help. When I took it back they ordered some redesigned bushings for the steering rack and that seems to have fixed the problem. The bushings were replaces based on bulletin 010232001A. I hope this helps, it is a pain to get them to believe this is happening when it stops once the vehicle is cold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very faint sound after that rather weird-sounding emergency brake release, but I agree that it could be a slightly-stuck pad that is releasing as you start to back up. But that would be VERY unusual for a vehicle that was simply sitting overnight!

I'd try parking the car in the garage overnight (with and without the emergency brake engaged) to see if that makes the sound go away.

And by the way .... why are you engaging the emergency brake? The surface you're backing up on appears to be fairly level...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the same thing happened to us. the noise would disappear when we would take it in. this was our third time taking it in in less than a year. Went out this morning to check for a noise and nothing was found! :blob:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a click/pop noise after I first start driving; it only happens once after the car is turned on. This noise is the stability control system doing its "checks". It has not caused me any issues. Now, if the noise happens all the time it could be something different. You have to remember that these SUVs have a lot of electronics, and when you turn the car on various control systems will need to configure themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts