Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of sounding like a noob, I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong, or if its a tire/air valve issue.

I can't seem to fill up the front 2 tires with air. I can release it...and I can fill and release air from the back 2 tires just fine. When I plug in the air hose/knob into the air valve stem in either of the front tires, either air comes out, or nothing else happens. I can hear the tire filling with air when I do it with the back 2 tires, but nothing from the front 2 tires.

similarily, I can take air pressure readings with the handheld gauge with the back 2 tires, but nothing from the front 2 tires.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds to me like perhaps the front tires have a different type of valve core that isn't compatible with your standard air hose.. if that is even possible... maybe the cores got seated farther down in the tube preventing them from being actuated properly. It is strange that it just would be the front two tires, unless some work was done on only those two tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you have TPMS on your vehicle? If so, what does the DIC say for tire pressure? I wonder if your tire pressure in the front tires is so high that the tire guage or air-hose chuck can't push the valve core 'in' enough due to high back-pressure within the tire. If you're able to operate the valve by hand, an air-hose at a local gas station should be able to do the trick. Maybe try using a different air-hose at another station.

Again, if the tire pressure is already way-high, your compressor won't be able to "push" air into the tire. Same for your tire guage, wouldn't be able to operate the valve so as to let air pressure out and take a reading.

Failing the above, take your ride into the dealer and ask them to change out the valve cores. Sounds like they're binding or are plugged up with something.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
big tall is right.

could be the air source cant push air into the tire.
are the little stems within the valve bent?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go to a tire shop and get a valve stem remover, unscrew the valve about one or two turns and then screw back into the stem. Sounds like the valve is sticking
this should help reseat it, if the problem exists then replace the valve stem with a new one this should correct the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the TPMS and DIC states that the front 2 tires are at about 220 kPa, where as the back 2 are at 238-240 kPa...the manual states that the tires should be at 240 kPa.

I don't have time or the inclination to do the valve stem replacement myself so I'm going to the dealer to have them take a look...it's odd that it's the 2 front ones...

thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Check that the valve stems are in the center if they are pushed to the side they may not be pushing down all the way.

I had to center one on a tire as it was doing the same thing you described. Then it airs up fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts