Traverse Forum banner

Failed to tint window

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  anglarry04 
#1 ·
I bought pre-cut front window films from ebay, then tried and failed, too bad, :banghead: problems:
1. the film maybe too large and the seals around the glass are very tight fit with glass, so it is difficult to adjust the film in a whole to be extended & flat, probably need take seals off;
2. I need a heat gun, some bubbles I can never get rid of just using blade, squeegee(maybe the small curved glass caused it)

#2 ·
I tinted windows professionally for many years (retired from it now). I did the front doors on the wifeys. The Traverse front doors are a little trick to do...probably not the best windows to learn on. Don't feel too bad, I know plenty of tinters that would have trouble doing them.

#3 ·
thamac said:
I tinted windows professionally for many years (retired from it now). I did the front doors on the wifeys. The Traverse front doors are a little trick to do...probably not the best windows to learn on. Don't feel too bad, I know plenty of tinters that would have trouble doing them.
Thanks, I feel better now.
Actually I've tinted wife's Prizm and previous 96 Camry, front and back windows though, they are much easier, of course I am more picky to the new car.

#4 ·
Getting them to look perfect when doing your own tinting can definitely be a challenge until you get a bit of practice. Honestly the only windows I've tinted are on the topper of my truck. I made them limo black so that no one can see inside when I have my fishing equipment etc. in there on trips. It is far from a perfect job, but is more than adequate for my purposes.

#5 ·
I applaud you for attempting this. I am normally a big do-it-yourselfer, but I wouldn't attempt to tint my own windows. There is a good shop I trust here that I have used for every vehicle. and I brought him the Traverse about a week after we got it. For $100 I got the front windows to match the rear (20%) and got a lifetime warranty on the job, for as long as I own the Traverse. Well worth it to me.

#6 ·
As many have stated you can’t really tint it yourself. Not only would it be almost impossible to make it look right, who knows what kind of tint that is. Personally, if you own your car, I would get the 3M quality tint because it will not turn purple down the road. Even if you did get it on right it would bubble, peel, or turn purple within the year.

I think I paid $120 for the front two windows with high quality tint.

#7 ·
Tiestosteele said:
As many have stated you can’t really tint it yourself. Not only would it be almost impossible to make it look right, who knows what kind of tint that is. Personally, if you own your car, I would get the 3M quality tint because it will not turn purple down the road. Even if you did get it on right it would bubble, peel, or turn purple within the year.

I think I paid $120 for the front two windows with high quality tint.
Wow, thanks for the information. I've thought most people here tint windows themselves. I was struggled if I re-order another piece of driver side film for what I ruined and borrow a heat gun to shrink those "fingers". Now I probably gonna leave it to professional, who asked for about $70-80 for two front windows with 3M films and life time warranty, seems a good deal.

#8 ·
thank you for ruining my spirits. I too bought the ebay precut. I just been putting it off because an injury I just recieved has me off my feet for long periods. Ive done my honda, which is very easy. I pull the whole window out...takes minutes. Ive done a newer tahoe. It was kinda sloppy but i left it, as you couldnt tell until the windows were rolled down. Just waiting to get aroud to my traverse

#10 ·
I paid $60 for my front windows and it is an awesome job.

I read about how tough the Traverse windows were to DIY because of shape, curve and seals. $60 was a no-brainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.