Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy - On[/color] a couple of recent highway trips I noticed the back end of my '09 Traverse "stepping out" to the right after going over bumps, discontinuous asphalt sections, etc. I took it into the Dealership and they found that the Right Rear shock was shot....
I have about 25K miles on it.
Anyone else have this problem?
Also, the Dealership could not find a replacement shock anywhere in the greater Cincinnati area and that he had to have one delivered from Michigan which would take up to 5 business days - unreal!
Just curious if this is a "one off" situation or if others have experienced the same thing.

G

·
espeelark said:
Howdy - On[/color] a couple of recent highway trips I noticed the back end of my '09 Traverse "stepping out" to the right after going over bumps, discontinuous asphalt sections, etc. I took it into the Dealership and they found that the Right Rear shock was shot....
Also, the Dealership could not find a replacement shock anywhere in the greater Cincinnati area and that he had to have one delivered from Michigan which would take up to 5 business days - unreal!
Just curious if this is a "one off" situation or if others have experienced the same thing.
This sounds like a "one off" situation; looks like the shock is coming from LDT in Michigan

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
yup, sounds like a one off situation...

though Ive heard of similar cases in other brands of car....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
espeelark said:

Parts are stocked, based on their demand. More oil filters are stocked than ECM's .... as an example. So, when an unusual request comes up, the supply comes from the warehouse.

Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Add one more to the list. A while back I noticed my traverse started hopping left in the rear when hitting a bump at highway speed. Only 8700 miles. This past weekend it got much worse. Thanks to the information in this post I chalked it up to a bad shock on the left side. Today I took it into the shop and the pulled off the left shock and it was toast. It may as well not even been there. They had just brought in a 2010 Traverse with 34 miles that they were about to rebuild. Looks like it got wrecked during a test drive. :sosad: It was a nice one too. They pulled the left shock off of that and slapped it on mine and was good to go. If the drive home is any indication, it looks to have fixed the problem.

The owner of the shop couldn't believe that the shock was already bad at 8700 miles. Even on my salvaged title Traverse (due to front end damage). Lucky they had the 2010 in the shop or else they would have had to order a part and I would have been in espeelark's position having to wait a while. Called today, was in the shop for a whole 15 minutes. I talked to the shop owner longer than they were working on it. Thanks to the warranty they included, $0 bill ;D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yikes - I'm about to turn over 25m miles on mine. I'll definitely be on the lookout for any symptoms of this as I do tons of highway driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are concerned, you can reach behind the wheel, from the front and grab the shock. You will want to grab the smaller end. I think its the bottom half. If your hand comes back covered in oil/grease (not just dirt), you're leaking and it is only a matter of time. The shop did check and there is a Tech bulletin out for leaking shocks. I found an awesome blog post about the suspension system on the Traverse that I am going to try and post later this morning, if I can track it down again.

If you don't want to bother hand checking the shock, you will know as soon as there is a problem, just because of the way the traverse handles when you hit a bump. As espeelark said, it feels like the back end jumps one direction or the other. Apparently the direction it jumps is the side that is bad. Though I don't know what it would do if both sides were bad. Yesterday was the final draw. It was raining on the way into work and I hit a bump on the interstate and it made it feel like I was fishtailing. Even they guy that was carpooling with me was able to feel it very distinctly.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Zepcom great link to some good pics , interesting suspension setup no traditional upper swing arm.
The way GM configured the suspension explains why it handles great in the corners with a smooth ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got the exact same symptoms happening on my '12 Traverse as well right now. Just over 20k miles too......need to schedule an appointment and will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's what it was......rear shock was bad. Still have a slight shimmy in the steering wheel tho. Was thinking maybe the bad shock could have been causing the shimmy. Will have to look at tire balance as rotors dont seem to warped.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I changed mine out at 53,000. My right rear was bad. Seem to really help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd consider replacing both at that point. Shock valving does slowly wear and I would not mix a new one with a 25K mile one. In fact, in my experience over the years, shocks are almost always packaged in pairs, at least the performance ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In PA shocks ARE considered a safety item. If they are leaking and/or not properly dampening, they fail the state's annual safety inspection process (and should be replaced in pairs). Common sense dictates a poor handling car is unsafe for anyone around it. I'd demand both be replaced. If one's bad, they're both bad. Hit a pothole with a dead shock at 45mph and all of a sudden your in on coming traffic lane in a blink.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Deping said:
In PA shocks ARE considered a safety item. If they are leaking and/or not properly dampening, they fail the state's annual safety inspection process (and should be replaced in pairs). Common sense dictates a poor handling car is unsafe for anyone around it. I'd demand both be replaced. If one's bad, they're both bad. Hit a pothole with a dead shock at 45mph and all of a sudden your in on coming traffic lane in a blink.
Although I agree with your thought on replacing in "pairs", the warranty provisions does not replace in pairs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts