Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through **** with a 2012 Chevy Traverse I just bought used in October 2021...It has gone into the shop once before for a busted water pump, and now this in March since I bought it! It was showing the same problems with traction control, ABS, and the engine failing. After ongoing conversations with the mechanic and the extended warranty, they are refusing to pay for the failed piston rings that are the cause of the problem. I bought it with 106,000 mi so it is barely out of warranty, there is no official recall, and no service notices noting that this is due to a manufacturing issue. I called Chevy customer service and they want it to go to a GM dealer, but the engine is in pieces so I can't take it anywhere. I took it to where it is bc they were preferred by the extended warranty. I called our local GM service department and he stated they had to do the diagnostic to be able to tell me that this is an issue (despite me offering to take them whatever I could get from my mechanic, including pictures). So, no one wants to help take care of me with an issue I have no control over and I am about to be out a whole lot of money for a new engine. I am out a ton of labor cost as the extended warranty made them take pieces of the engine apart so they could see what they are considering "normal wear and tear" in order to not cover the issue. I am beyond frustrated that my family put our faith in Chevy, as our families have for generations, but I am done.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
im not sure you should blame GM in such a case.
9 yr old vehicle.
used.
106,000 miles.
who knows what the previous owner did in regards to maintenance and driving habits. Oil change intervals. Oil level checks.
you say barely out of warranty- (Factory warranty?)
the 2012's had a 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty.
its warranty ran out in 2017- time wise.

hopefully the extended warranty pays.. but looks like theyre trying to find anything to get out of paying

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
im not sure you should blame GM in such a case.
9 yr old vehicle.
used.
106,000 miles.
who knows what the previous owner did in regards to maintenance and driving habits. Oil change intervals. Oil level checks.
you say barely out of warranty- (Factory warranty?)
the 2012's had a 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty.
its warranty ran out in 2017- time wise.

hopefully the extended warranty pays.. but looks like theyre trying to find anything to get out of paying
AND I know this isn't what you want to hear, but:

Actually, the vehicle could be 9-1/2 or almost 10 yrs old if built in summer/fall of 2011. While cars are much better built these days, buying a 10 yr old car is always a crap shoot.

You don't say what kind of extended warranty - I'm betting the extended warranty is a 3rd party warranty - which even when still in force, are notorious for not really covering very much. (I know these warranties are crap because I get a phone call about every other day from someone trying to sell me one. If they were worthwhile, they'd sell themselves.)

And now that it's in pieces, GM certainly isn't going to touch it; how do they know what's been done to it? If you had thought there was any chance of GM covering you warranty-wise, you should have taken it to them in the first place. It's kind of a case of "you can pay now or you can pay later - but you will pay."

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am going through **** with a 2012 Chevy Traverse I just bought used in October 2021...It has gone into the shop once before for a busted water pump, and now this in March since I bought it! It was showing the same problems with traction control, ABS, and the engine failing. After ongoing conversations with the mechanic and the extended warranty, they are refusing to pay for the failed piston rings that are the cause of the problem. I bought it with 106,000 mi so it is barely out of warranty, there is no official recall, and no service notices noting that this is due to a manufacturing issue. I called Chevy customer service and they want it to go to a GM dealer, but the engine is in pieces so I can't take it anywhere. I took it to where it is bc they were preferred by the extended warranty. I called our local GM service department and he stated they had to do the diagnostic to be able to tell me that this is an issue (despite me offering to take them whatever I could get from my mechanic, including pictures). So, no one wants to help take care of me with an issue I have no control over and I am about to be out a whole lot of money for a new engine. I am out a ton of labor cost as the extended warranty made them take pieces of the engine apart so they could see what they are considering "normal wear and tear" in order to not cover the issue. I am beyond frustrated that my family put our faith in Chevy, as our families have for generations, but I am done.
Really sorry for your troubles with the car. I doubt with the mileage on the car, that you will receive any help. You can't blame General Motors for this one. I do buy used vehicles, but I limit the mileage to 20K or so. When you're buying something with that many miles on it, you are buying someone else's problems, in my opinion no matter what brand you are buying You have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. A bad owner can beat even the best cars into the ground in a short period of time. Owners should use a good synthetic oil in todays' direct injection gasoline cars, especially in the 3.6. Sounds like your pervious owner didn't do that. The Traverse has had more issues than the average car, but most are related to poor maintenance, especially with owners not physically checking the motor oil at least once a week and keeping it full. I read often in these pages "I can't figure out where the oil is going as I went to get my oil changed and it was 3 quarts low". That's death to this engine or really any engine. Our 2012 has had a few issues covered under the extended CarMax warranty, but I expect it to go well past 200k miles on the engine and transmission.

Here is a website you can use before your next purchase to see the problems that various brands are giving their owners. CarComplaints.com | Car Problems, Car Complaints, & Repair/Recall Information

Good Luck.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry to hear. Which Extended Warranty Company are you talking about anyway. I get calls every week from "The Warranty Division" but I cannot find much info on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts