Traverse Forum banner

Exhaust question

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mckay99 
#1 ·
My 2011 traverse has 260000 miles on it.Should I replace muffler and resonators or just keep driving.It sounds fine but I thought maybe it would have a lot of carbon buildup after so many miles.Any info appreciated.

#4 ·
If your muffler and resonator is in good shape I would leave it as it is. You must be doing a lots of highway miles. Small trips around
the blocks is what destroy exhaust system. Always wet inside.

#5 ·
Most mufflers these days are stainless steel, no replacement needed. That's why you don't see many muffler shops around anymore. Sometimes catalytic converters need replacement, but I believe you'll get a CEL for that.

#6 ·
Hello dear,

I have 2012 traverse. Some weeks before I noticed the colling temperature gauge is rise little bit up and then come back at the normal position. It happened mostly in traffic or at the signal. so I replaced the thermostat with housing and coolant also. Things become normal, but now from 2 days its happening again. I used the scanner and checked the coolant temperature, at normal temperature 95C fan do not turn on. When temperature rise above 100C (I noticed at 105C) fans turned ON.

When I switch ON AC then temperature stay on normal.

What can be a problem? My guess is the temperature sensor. If I replace then the problem will solve? and is any computer setting required for sensor replacement?

#9 ·
Exhaust systems are made out of better materials these days and with the unleaded fuel have been lasting the life of the car. If your fuel mileage is good, power is good then it's not clogged up. The catalytic converters could wear out later but that will set a code. If it ain't broke .....

#10 ·
260K!!?!??! You should just replace the car! lol
You should write a book about how you kept it rolling for so long. Our 2011 have 170K and it is a month to month situation about how much longer it will run and we will be lucky to get $2K when we trade it in

#14 ·
I change the oil every 7500 miles or when the change light comes on.I use Royal Purple HPS oil though.trans fluid is drained about every 50000.I also have had a K/N air filter since 5000mls and clean it every 30000 and clean throttle body and intake tube.I have changed the plugs twice and do all of my maintenance myself.Always use 89 octane fuel.The only 87 it has had is when it had 13 miles on it and the dealer filled it.This Traverse has been a great SUV and we are hopeful it will go 300000.It consistently gets 20-21 mpg and that isn't all highways either.

#11 ·
Congrats on your Traverse mileage. As stated above, no need to replace mufflers and/or resonators until they develop holes or they get loud from internal wear and tear. I've never experienced or heard of these items getting clogged with carbon buildup. Also as stated above, if there was anything you might want to replace before it goes out is the catalytic converters. Wouldn't be cheap, but if they clog up they can leave you stranded. Would be an expensive replacement. I've got 382,000 miles on my '96 Dodge Ram and I've replaced the converter on it twice - first time just came apart and started rattling, second time it clogged up and left me stranded on the side of the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.