Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first chance to do some extensive driving in the snow this weekend. We had snow covered freeway and state roads for over 200 miles on Saturday. I only have the FWD, and I was very impressed with how stable this vehicle was in the snow. I was able to do 55+ mph on the interstate with complete confidence, and was able to pass some slow moving vehicles on the state road without hesitation. Even crossing that row of slush in the middle of the road when changing lanes wasn't a problem. It was hard to get the traction/stability light to even turn on.

I was throughly impressed with the winter handling of the Travese. Well done GM!

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's great to hear, EMG!
I'm a prospective Traverse buyer who wants the AWD. But I'm torn, because if I settle for FWD instead, I might be able to move up to the LT1 or LT2 level.
Knowing how well even FWD does on snow could give me the peace of mind I need. :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you are going off-road, IMO, a good set of snow tires is a better investment than AWD. I had a 1972 Olds Cutlass (350 V8) in College with a set of snow tires, and I never had any problem in the snow, but with regular all-seasons, it was horrible. In the case of the Traverse, the stock tires seem to do well in the snow (I have the standard 18"s that come in the LT1 package).

·
Registered
161 Posts
emg77 said:
Unless you are going off-road, IMO, a good set of snow tires is a better investment than AWD. I had a 1972 Olds Cutlass (350 V8) in College with a set of snow tires, and I never had any problem in the snow, but with regular all-seasons, it was horrible. In the case of the Traverse, the stock tires seem to do well in the snow (I have the standard 18"s that come in the LT1 package).
Well, that's cool, especially since cars like the Traverse are not really meant for off-roading anyway.
Still, I'd have to weigh the time, trouble and expense of buying and mounting (and dismounting after each winter) a set of snow tires. Seems to me it might not take too long before the cost and trouble exceeded the $1800-$1900 extra cost of AWD, eh?
Plus, the AWD must help at least a little in rain year-round as well, I'm thinking.
Meantime, I'm waiting to see if GM offers better incentives (or least better for non-GM, non-lease owners) in February before I make my move.

·
Registered
72 Posts
duayned - I'm not sure how much better of a deal you'd expect to get. GM needs your business

·
Registered
161 Posts
intotheoh said:
duayned - I'm not sure how much better of a deal you'd expect to get. GM needs your business
At the risk of going too far off snow-performance topic, I'll just say for now that you're very right and dealers are willing to bargain down. But I'm in no big rush, since right now I qualify only for the "measly" $750 factory rebate (not the $4,000 in restricted cash for leaseholders, etc.). I figure GM's gonna do better than that next month, maybe reinstate the 1,000 conquest rebate at least.
If not, I'll make up most of the $750 with my own bargaining skills with a still-hungry dealer or "settle" for the better-priced, higher-trimmed Hyundai Veracruz!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: Excellent Snow Performance

Snow is very uncommon here in western washington. We just had a snowstorm here over the last few days. Solid ice everywhere. I dreaded going out in it, but we needed stuff for thanksgiving.

The traverse did excellent in the snow and ice. Not a single slip, despite seeing others sliding all over the place (including a hummer on its side and a lot of other 4x4's having issues.)

Very happy with the snow performance even though we had stock tires.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Joey, we have had the same success as you have in adverse conditions. I posted back in March about the blizzard we negotiated for more than half of New Mexico and most of Colorado--roads were closing behind us. Conditions ranged from snow and slush to mostly icy and snow-packed. Raton Pass was absolute chaos mostly on the downhill (Colorado) side with semi trucks and many cars off in the ditch, some rubber-side down, others on their side or roof. Highway Patrol was in process of closing the pass as we were nearing the bottom.

While our AWD Traverse never flinched, there is something to be said for driving with reasonable caution so a driver doesn't put themselves in a potential panic situation. We saw a few people panic in front of us and have to work awfully hard to keep their vehicle on the road.

I think GM has a winner with the Lambda platform and I'm glad we bought a Traverse.

15 Posts
Just got home the other day after concluding a 4,800 mile round trip from Great Falls, MT to Ste. Louis, MO, to Dallas, TX, and back home through Colorado and Wyoming. We hit snow in CO, WY, and MT with by far the worst being in MT with snowpacked roads, and high winds and blowing snow.

The Traverse not only did just fine, but for the most part behaved as if the roads were clear and dry. We saw many people in ditches or pulled over, and quite a few people driving very slow. Passing was always smooth and easy (as long as you are not a leadfoot), and even when driving on gentle to moderate curves in the snowy passing lane, never a hint of instability at 65-75mph.

I am extremely impressed with the handling and roadholding of the Traverse. Back here in town, the roads are very icy and quite snowpacked. I also have snow berms at the bottom of my driveway from the plows clearing the street. The Chevy just drives over them with no slip, no problems. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I did not have to get a "running start" to get over snow berms safely.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is an excellent thread. We're ready for our first big snow of the season here in Buffalo, and for the past ~6 years or so we've had the benefit of owning two Trailblazers with 4WD for the snow conditions. We traded in our 2007 TB for the front wheel drive traverse.

I am impressed by the "looks" of the aggressive stock LT1 tires, they definitely seem to have a meaty grip on them. I have dedicated winter tires for my rear-wheel-drive g8, but as long as we take it easy, I don't think "not having 4wd" this winter will hurt us for the traverse.

Thanks for posting the comments on this thread, it re-assures us that our peers who recommended against the AWD model and go FWD instead were correct.

;D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Still just getting light flurries her with no accumulation.

No snow fun in southern Ontario yet.

·
Registered
857 Posts
zepcom said:
Thanks for posting the comments on this thread, it re-assures us that our peers who recommended against the AWD model and go FWD instead were correct.

;D
So you're saying I should not have gotten AWD?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm looking forward to driving our AWD Traverse this winter... Living in upstate NY, we're sure to get some good snow storms.

We went with the AWD because of our lousy snow experience with our other FWD vehicle. I had an '03 Hyundai Elantra GT that I put a ton of miles on and that thing was a beast in the snow. I remember driving up hills going right by 4x4's that had slid off the road or couldn't get up.

We got a Hyundai Tucson in 2006 and with how great my Elantra was in the snow (and the Tucson & Elantra having the same chassis), we got the FWD model... big mistake, that thing can't go anywhere in the snow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
So you're saying I should not have gotten AWD?
No. For our family's needs, we found that we didn't need AWD. Coming from the Trailblazer, we were used to "true 4wd" which is off-road and all-4-wheels-locked style drivetrain, it could get through anything. In fact, we pulled 4 stuck trucks and cars out of snowbanks with our Trailblazer during a freak storm when we lived in Charlotte a number of years ago.

Upon researching the AWD option for the Traverse, it's still front wheel drive predominantly, and when it starts to slip, it activates (via the fluid clutch differential) the rears for additional traction.

but give it sheer ice or one wheel that is on ice, it's no better than front wheel drive. In contrast, with the trailblazer, if you were on glare ice and were stuck, you simply put it into 4-hi or 4-lo and the non-stuck wheels would be in lockstep with the spinning one and you'd be free.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash or otherwise insult AWD owners. :angryfire: Just for our family's requirements, and coming from a true-4wd system on our previous Trailblazer, the AWD was nothing special (to us). Could we get our FWD Traverse stuck in a situation this winter in which a similar AWD Traverse could have gotten out? Sure. This is a 3 ton truck. It's got 1.5 tons (or more!) over the front wheels. I wouldn't think that with the stock aggressive-tread tires, we will have an issue, even with "just" FWD. We went with what fit our needs.

the above is based upon my research and recommendations of 3 friends who own lambdas, one who has AWD, and one that has a FWD traverse like mine, and a third who has the older cousin, the Saturn Outlook.

Sorry if I offended anyone, was not my intent.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Zep--

I wasn't offended per se, but I am trying to better understand your perspective. You followed up and clearly made your points as to why YOU chose FWD. You live in western NY, I live in Colorado. We both get real winters with plenty of adverse road conditions throughout the course of a snowy season--September to May. FWD is enough for you and I'm OK with that.

I, like you, made my choices based on my experiences coming out of a 99 Buick Regal GSE and my experiences in my current company work vehicle, a 2007 AWD Chevy Express van. The AWD in that van has gotten me up more icy hills than alot of FWD cars/SUVs/CUVs that couldn't get up those same hills in town or on the interstate. The AWD (and siped tires) in the Traverse got us through a nasty blizzard back in March. Would a FWD Traverse gotten through, too? Probably. But again, I saw alot of FWD SUV/CUV-type vehicles struggling.

Zep, you bought a Traverse. So did I. Let's toast that! :cheers:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Was going to start a new thread, but I'll post here. Yesterday was our first snow of this season. A little late at Dec. 1st, huh?

Anyway, going into our 3rd winter with the Enclave, I have to say that last night I was the MOST impressed with the Stabilitrak, traction control, and ABS. Wow, it works great. We had a very thin layer of snow and ice on the roadways, no salt trucks had been out. It performs great, and I just have the FWD, but I was still amazed how the Stabillitrak system works. No other car I've had did this, when I turned onto our street, I was sliding a little, because I put on the gas a little early, instead of continuing to brake. Then the system took over and slowed the vehicle, so I could easily steer where I was going and not run into the neighbor's yard! What a neat system. Whole time I was driving last night I felt in complete control. I haven't searched the forum for Stabilitrak threads yet, but from what I understand, this is exactly what it does, it uses the brakes, and ABS system if it detects the vehicle sliding in a different direction then where the front wheels are pointed. HOW COOL! Love it.

I've bashed the current vehicles's electronics and technology lately for times when it fails, but I have to say....I'm a believer in the Stabilitrak. I know it's more mechanics to possibly go wrong, but assuming you never have to service this particular part of the vehicle, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Stablitrak worked as advertised for me during a recent ice storm. I'm sold on it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Last winter I intentionally put the Traverse into a sideways skid in an empty and icy parking lot. The Stabilitrak system functioned just as 09Enclave advertised. Braking was applied at the wheels that needed it to put the Traverse back in control.

Two thumbs up for Stabilitrak. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
Zep--

I wasn't offended per se, but I am trying to better understand your perspective. You followed up and clearly made your points as to why YOU chose FWD. You live in western NY, I live in Colorado. We both get real winters with plenty of adverse road conditions throughout the course of a snowy season--September to May. FWD is enough for you and I'm OK with that.

I, like you, made my choices based on my experiences coming out of a 99 Buick Regal GSE and my experiences in my current company work vehicle, a 2007 AWD Chevy Express van. The AWD in that van has gotten me up more icy hills than alot of FWD cars/SUVs/CUVs that couldn't get up those same hills in town or on the interstate. The AWD (and siped tires) in the Traverse got us through a nasty blizzard back in March. Would a FWD Traverse gotten through, too? Probably. But again, I saw alot of FWD SUV/CUV-type vehicles struggling.

Zep, you bought a Traverse. So did I. Let's toast that! :cheers:
Todd,

I hear ya loud and clear. In fact, Buffalo made it to the front page of CNN news for our "winter blast" from last night through tomorrow. One of our two major highways has been closed / shut down since about 8pm last night!! We got close to 2' of snow in some areas of this lake effect snow effected area. There are people who's cars and 18 wheelers who haven't moved since that time last night! Luckily, police and snowmobiles are checking on motorists and transporting them to shelter if needed. The snow is still coming down in those areas too!

Honestly for us, we've been impressed with how capable the FWD traverse with the knobby stock tires handles in the snow so far. As I said before, sure, we could get stuck or whatnot. When the weather is really bad (like some of my co-workers found out, they're stranded at home unable to drive to work today, even if they have 4wd on 20" tires!) we have the ability to stay home. I can work from home, and my wife is a SAHM. Weather tretcherous? No problem for us.

I agree to the toast. But better make it HOT CHOCOLATE! :happy: :cheers:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Put another log on the fire and put some amaretto in that hot chocolate!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts