Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey !!! Have a 2011 Traverse with a seized engine --- ONLY 178.000 miles .... ( bummer ) .... Going to replace - but was wondering if anybody knows / has replaced with a newer year from that platform ?? ( ie. Traverse / Acadia / Enclave, etc. ) ..... Interchanges show 2011 can be only from 2009-2011, then 2012-2015....but in past experiences from other engine swaps, it could be that the long block is the same, and something just as simple as a different upper intake manifold or plenum was changed, and all you had to do was swap that part from the original engine to the new one and you were all set...... SOOOOOOOOO...... anybody have any knowledge ???????? Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine swap from 2011 to 2015 - I did it

I know this is too late to help you but for everyone else out there, here's some info on this topic. I read on the GMC Acadia forum a post from a guy who did it

https://www.acadiaforum.net/24-engine-drivetrain/23866-engine-swap-newer-year-engine-4.html

I can confirm basically everything he said. I put a 2015 engine in my 2011 Traverse. Here are some additional pointers/notes:

I did NOT disconnect the A/C compressor from its lines. I removed it from the bracket, and removed the bracket from the engine. Then I just shoved it up and toward the radiator. There it stayed until I installed the engine and reattached it. Never opened the system, never had to re-charge it, works great.

The connectors to the firewall for the coolant in/out to the heater core have a LOT of joints. And with 90K on my Traverse, the rubber was pretty stiff so I just cut the first segment out of the heater core to make it easier. I went to auto parts store and bought both of them (about 6 inches long each) new for like 5 bucks each. Money well spent.

My car has AWD, so there are some extra steps/things to consider. : You can separate the engine from the trans without taking off the assembly connecting the trans bellhousing to the rear driveshaft (aka transfer case) - but you CAN'T get the engine reattached to trans without at the very least pulling it out (and it will leak a whole lot of trans fluid) and letting it sag out of the way. Note, when sliding the AWD transfer case BACK IN, it needs to go in easily and it will essentially slide together like a puzzle piece, or a lego. If it's "off" just a little when you are sliding the shaft and splines back in, it will not go in. It will get stuck halfway in. Do not try to force it. It has to be "just right" and the splines are lined up and it will slide in WITH EASE. If you are having trouble sliding it in, vary the angle of rotation just a bit either way to find the sweet spot.

When reattaching the engine to the trans/cradle, I found it necessary to use an engine balancer bar with my engine crane. If you don't have the motor at the right angle, it is REALLY hard to get it all lined up perfectly, and it has to be just right.

I used three floor jacks to lower the entire cradle and then later raise it back up. One on each rear corner of the cradle, and one in the middle under the radiator. I had the vehicle supported by two jackstands up as high as they would go.

I swapped my entire engine harness from the 2011 engine to the 2015 engine before I put the motor back in. Everything lined up perfectly except of course there is no connector for the oil level sensor under the crankshaft pulley. No big deal, in fact I chopped off most of the sensor it's kind of sticking out in the way and I don't need it!

When removing everything connected to the vehicle (harnesses) the only one that was sort of hidden was a two wire connector that goes to the steering rack (driver's side).

In the Acadia article, he mentions being able to use the 2015/2016 intake (upper plenum). This is true, and I flipped my throttle body over 180 degrees as he mentioned, and it DOES WORK like that. But I didn't like it here is why: 1) The snorkel tube, if flipped 180 WILL go together - but all the connections and clamps are under stress which isn't the best. 2) The PCV is then upside down, and on the bottom - as you might realize oil will "pool" at the bottom point, which isn't an issue in the normal configuration, but now the PCV is at the bottom and it WILL clog up. So 3) I would up swapping (after it was running) back to the original all-metal upper plenum from the 2011 engine. Looking at the two units, it's obvious the 2015/16 vintage is just a cost reduction to plastic. The 2011 unit is better IMO. And everything goes together perfectly (snorkel etc.) with it installed. If I had taken the upper plenum off prior to taking the engine out, it would also have made the whole cradle/engine about 6 inches shorter which would have been easier to clear the engine bay when sliding it out from under the vehicle too. Its only 6 bolts and literally comes off in 1 minute.

Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, I have 2009 Traverse LT 3.6L AWD and like everyone else ran into the expensive timing chain problem.I recently found a 2015 engine and would like to swap it with my 2009 engine. I've been comparing components like the intake manifold, water pump, engine cradle which appears to be the same. I was told that the engine would fit but it wouldn't work because the heads and timing are different. Can someone enlighten me on that ? It appears some of you in this forum have made the swap and I was wondering if you ran into this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, I have 2009 Traverse LT 3.6L AWD and like everyone else ran into the expensive timing chain problem.I recently found a 2015 engine and would like to swap it with my 2009 engine. I've been comparing components like the intake manifold, water pump, engine cradle which appears to be the same. I was told that the engine would fit but it wouldn't work because the heads and timing are different. Can someone enlighten me on that ? It appears some of you in this forum have made the swap and I was wondering if you ran into this problem.
Did you find out if this works?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts