Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The general consensus I'm seeing on the forum is that you can fit a new year engine in a first gen traverse..has anyone done this and is now experiencing issues as of late and are there any sources or compatibility charts I can refer to

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have no knowledge or experience in making this type swap. Responding to your post in order to bump it back to current pile--hoping someone more knowledgeable will see it and respond. Good luck. Engine swaps used to be the routine way of extending the life of an older vehicle. Now, with CANBUS electronics and reliance on the embedded computers, not sure if it possible.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the original LLT replaced with a 2014 LFX in my 2010 traverse. A much better engine in my opinion. I get a bit over 2MPG better fuel economy and it feels more responsive and powerful. You will need custom exhaust down pipes but can run those to the flanges on the Y-pipe. The engine was from an Impala so the throttle body is on the wrong side of the engine bay but a large intake tube and an elbow is all that is needed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
From the Wiki:
The 3.6 L (3,564 cc) LLT is a direct injected version based on the earlier LY7 engine. It was first unveiled in May 2006, and the DI version was claimed to have 15 percent greater power, 8 percent greater torque, and 3 percent better fuel economy than its port-injected counterpart. The LLT engine has a compression ratio of 11.3:1, and has been certified by the SAE to produce 302 hp (225 kW; 306 PS) at 6300 rpm and 272 lb⋅ft (369 N⋅m) of torque at 5200 rpm on regular unleaded (87 octane) gasoline. This engine debuted on the 2008 Cadillac STS and CTS. GM used a LLT in all 2009 Lambda-derived crossover SUVs to allow class-leading fuel economy in light of the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. In the Lambdas, LLT engine produces 288 hp (215 kW; 292 PS) and 270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) of torque.
The LFX is an enhanced version of the LLT engine. Introduced in the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS, it is 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than the LLT, due to a redesigned cylinder head and integrated exhaust manifold, and composite intake manifold. Other components like the fuel injectors, intake valves, and fuel pump have also been updated. Power and torque are up slightly from the LLT. The compression ratio is 11.5:1. The LFX also features E85 flex-fuel capability.

The 2018+ Traverse has the LFY motor which is the same as the LFX, but has the "Start - Stop" technology.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For someone with an older Traverse who's engine screwed the pooch with a timing chain issue, swapping in a late model engine from a low mileage crashed car makes allot of sense! I looked around, a Camaro engine is around $2k A Impala engine is even less......
Look at this one....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looks like Malik isn't coming back. There is someone on Enclaveforum who Just swapped a 2013 engine into a 09 truck. So far only difference is an oil sender down by the harmonic balancer on the pan, seems like an extra one, with no connector for it on either the donor or host harness. HMMM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts