Traverse Forum banner

Engine Subwoofer Like Rubmble

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bigtallvandy 
#1 ·
I have a salvaged 09 Traverse. Only 6K miles. I've had it for around two months and runs fine. I have noticed on the highway at around 65, when the engine starts pulling a little as in going up a small incline the there is a very low hum. I know that some hum is normal and is a symptom of the low 1500-1600 RMPs that I am running, but how much is normal? It sounds like I have a large sub under the hood. I'm not getting any vibrations, but just a deep base sound.

I have a trip this weekend where I will be 70+ mph on the interstate so I hope to see if the slightly higher mph and RPMs will lessen the sound. I've always felt the engine was a little louder than normal, nothing I was really worried about.

Haven't never driven another Traverse, I was just curious how much engine noise you guys got?

I do have a two year bumper to bumper warranty so if you guys don't see this as normal I can have the place check it out.

#2 ·
how salvaged?
what comes to mind- is some kind of structural damage that was not fixed...
and now transmitting vibrations into cabin.
It could be the tires and the roadway.

If you hear it-- let off the gas-- and put in neutral-- does it go away? or still there...

While in neutral--- if you rev the engine up to the rpm's where you heard the noise- does it come back?

But it may just be the low rumble you mention of the lower RPM's

#3 ·
It had front end damage, but it has been restored to mostly new. My original thoughts were a leak in the exhaust making it louder. I just don't know what is "normal" engine noise for a Traverse since I have only heard mine.

I don't believe it is the tires or the road. Its only when it pulls, up a slight incline or hill. If I let off the gas it does go away. Obviously if it pulls hard enough the transmission shifts down and the RPM jumps giving it a different sound (expected in my mind).

Attachments

#5 ·
Almost sounds to me like engine is 'lugging'. Sounds like you're either going uphill (slight/long grade) and trying to increase speed but slight gas pedal won't cause tranny to kick down or the torque converter to 'unlock'. The effect is a vibration felt and heard while the engine lugs the vehicle up to speed.

What date code (build month/year) is your '09?

#7 ·
Sounds like the exhaust may be "grounding" ( touching the body/frame) at some point, causing the sound to resonate into the cabin.

Bob

#8 ·
@bigtallvandy - Its 12/08

@All
So none of you have much engine noise at all? Even during acceleration its pretty quiet? Don't get me wrong, its not terribly loud, but louder than I would expect, and louder than our 04 venture.

#9 ·
well when I accelerate- theres noise...
from the engine, the tires, air etc...
But I have not sensed any out of the ordinary noise (like an exhaust leak) that would make me raise my eyebrow.
I will pay more attention on some hills and the lower revs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.