Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My traverse is running bad & getting lower gas mileage but the check engine light doesn’t come on therefore I can’t read a code to make the repair. Help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a set of plugs to have them changed. I’m curious why the check engine light hasn’t came on tho. Thanks for the information I’ll let ya know if that works

·
Registered
781 Posts
The plugs are usually good for 100K the service schedule says to change them at 97k or so. First item to make sure is correct before chasing other items down. Are you doing work yourself? The easiest way to access is to remove intake manifold, plenty of youtube and procedure links. A new manifold gasket would also be required. While you have it open, check the Valves for carbon buildup, this can cause issues, more so with Direct Injection. Make sure you block off open intakes with tape or rags to prevent objects getting down there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
At that mileage I'd change the plugs, ignition wires, and maybe get a top-side fuel injector cleaning done on it. Should run like a top after that.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What kind of Gasoline do you use? GM recommends using Top Tier Gas to keep the fuel system in tip top shape. If Top Tier isn't used then you should use the GM fuel additive or Techtron Concentrate plus, 20oz. This should help clean the injectors and it is good while you are waiting for the plug replacement if you are driving it now. The Tectron probably wont help cleaning any carbon buildup on the back of the valves, if they are bad when you look in there, a walnut blasting procedure would clean them, or you can do a CRC valve cleaning procedure.
Just one Caveat, the CRC procedure MAY dislodge carbon big enough to score piston walls, they say it softens it. The official GM procedure is similar. Check the Link: Cleaning Excessive Carbon from Sticking Valves – TechLink
I see the valve cleaning is for 2000-2015, and you have a 2016. Is yours a strictly Direct Injection Engine?

·
Registered
11,269 Posts
Also, your O2 sensors may be getting lazy.
Lazy enough to cause issues.. But not bad enough to set the CEL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At that mileage I'd change the plugs, ignition wires, and maybe get a top-side fuel injector cleaning done on it. Should run like a top after that.
Sounds like a good idea!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a good idea!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts