Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2016 Traverse LS with 30,000 miles on it. After a couple weeks of having it I have noticed that when just idling in the parking lot or at a light my engine coolant temperature will rise above 210 degrees then will go back down again. Does not happen while driving. Any idea what could be causing this? I’m scheduled to take it back to dealer on Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Looks like a maximum 12 deg F rise which will not cause any overheating or engine damage. Could be a bad temperature sensor or a sluggish thermostat.

Forgot how my '15 was setup, not sure if the thermostat contains a bleed hole to pass air or not, but if there is no bleed hole in the thermostat air can get trapped behind the thermostat and its element will measure the temperature of the trapped air, not the coolant, causing a late opening like you are experiencing. Thermostats lacking a bleed hole will usually have a removable threaded plug on the thermostat housing or engine block directly behind it, to bleed the air when filling with coolant. If so, never remove this plug when hot and under pressure or it could fly out like a bullet.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Probably a weep hole leak, resulting in low coolant levels.
Or, a lazy/failing thermostat.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My Silverado (and many others on the forum) did the same thing. My Traverse does it as well. It's only when the A/C is turned off and at most it goes to the next tick mark before the fans come on and return it to the middle line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got the car back from the dealer. They told me it was normal for it to do that since the days here have been so hot and humid. And was also told it can run higher and be okay too. They said there is no need to be concerned unless it gets close to the red mark. On top of that they found the high pressure power steering line had a leak in it and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
how long does it idle, before it does that?

Could be they changed something between the 2010 and 2016....to display a little more movement.

but I have not seen mine do that just by idling.

keep track of time- and let us know.

yeah- some cars will do that... but a reference time would be good.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
the day I asked the question, on the way home, I got stuck at a left turn light----
that remained red for about 9 minutes.
all other traffic cycled about 4-5 times...

but for me- (and long line behind me) red for 9 min.
Its was also about 88-90.
The needle remained at 210.
Im sure engine temp went up a bit, but no needle rise.

·
Registered
Traverse 2011 AWD
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue, Engine temperature is rising a little bit with AC on when idle, I have replaced thermostat and also coolant level is ok, I noticed when that happened that cooling fans are running on low speed.
So what controls the cooling fans speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2011 Traverse has 121k miles on it. I did a coolant flush/exchange with my most recent oil change at 119k miles. I've noticed in the last few weeks that when I'm ideling for 9+ minutes (in the drop off/pick up line at school, sluggish drive thru's etc) that my temp picks up about a notch or two but will immediately drop down to 210 as soon as I start driving. It hasn't been overly warm/humid here these past few weeks.

Planning on checking Coolant level this afternoon
I don't have any evidence of leaks under the car/on my driveway

I have CarShield so my coolant system is covered, but I'd like to try and fix it myself before I deal with them (they are painfully slow)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Im thinking the recent flush, resulted in air pockets, that have made their way out, but coolant levels dropped once the air was expelled. Check level by removing the cap from radiator. Level should be at the top.. and also refill the bottle to the cold line.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Im thinking the recent flush, resulted in air pockets, that have made their way out, but coolant levels dropped once the air was expelled. Check level by removing the cap from radiator. Level should be at the top.. and also refill the bottle to the cold line.
Just a safety note - make SURE it's a COLD ENGINE when you remove the radiator cap.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'll reiterate that I do not believe this to be a problem on the multiple GM vehicles I've owned. As soon as it hits the next tick (230 per my scangauge) the low speed fan kicks on and the temps go back to 210. I believe this to be normal operation. Most who run their climate in auto all the time have the A/C button on and the low speed fan kicks on any time the A/C is engaged so you don't notice it unless you drive around with climate control off.

·
Registered
2010 LT 3.6L AWD
122 Posts
Did you only observe the overflow tank or actually open the radiator cap (overflow tank may not represent what is actually in the radiator)?
I've only been in this forum a couple months but I've seen this suggestion several times.
What is it based on? Does the coolant recovery system not work as designed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts