Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2016 Traverse LS with 30,000 miles on it. After a couple weeks of having it I have noticed that when just idling in the parking lot or at a light my engine coolant temperature will rise above 210 degrees then will go back down again. Does not happen while driving. Any idea what could be causing this? I’m scheduled to take it back to dealer on Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Looks like a maximum 12 deg F rise which will not cause any overheating or engine damage. Could be a bad temperature sensor or a sluggish thermostat.

Forgot how my '15 was setup, not sure if the thermostat contains a bleed hole to pass air or not, but if there is no bleed hole in the thermostat air can get trapped behind the thermostat and its element will measure the temperature of the trapped air, not the coolant, causing a late opening like you are experiencing. Thermostats lacking a bleed hole will usually have a removable threaded plug on the thermostat housing or engine block directly behind it, to bleed the air when filling with coolant. If so, never remove this plug when hot and under pressure or it could fly out like a bullet.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Probably a weep hole leak, resulting in low coolant levels.
Or, a lazy/failing thermostat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my coolant level is where it should be that was the first thing I checked when this problem started occurring.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My Silverado (and many others on the forum) did the same thing. My Traverse does it as well. It's only when the A/C is turned off and at most it goes to the next tick mark before the fans come on and return it to the middle line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got the car back from the dealer. They told me it was normal for it to do that since the days here have been so hot and humid. And was also told it can run higher and be okay too. They said there is no need to be concerned unless it gets close to the red mark. On top of that they found the high pressure power steering line had a leak in it and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
how long does it idle, before it does that?

Could be they changed something between the 2010 and 2016....to display a little more movement.

but I have not seen mine do that just by idling.

keep track of time- and let us know.

yeah- some cars will do that... but a reference time would be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The time was inconsistent. sometimes 5 minutes and other times 15-20 minutes. since getting the car back ( and the temperatures dropping now ) it has not gone above 210 now.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
the day I asked the question, on the way home, I got stuck at a left turn light----
that remained red for about 9 minutes.
all other traffic cycled about 4-5 times...

but for me- (and long line behind me) red for 9 min.
Its was also about 88-90.
The needle remained at 210.
Im sure engine temp went up a bit, but no needle rise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found my low speed cooling fan not working, I will be replacing mine by next weekend to see if this corrects the issue before something major fails but it does appear to be a big job

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue, Engine temperature is rising a little bit with AC on when idle, I have replaced thermostat and also coolant level is ok, I noticed when that happened that cooling fans are running on low speed.
So what controls the cooling fans speed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts