Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my LT a couple of weeks ago, and have noticed that there is an electronic whine after startup that runs for a few seconds and then stops. It comes back at random times throughout the drive. It almost acts like the compressor did on my old vehicle that was equipped with air ride suspension. Does anyone know what that whine is, and if it’s normal to activate on a regular basis?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can spray wd40 on some of the bearings a.c. clutch see if it goes away help eliminate some of the stuff obviously try not to get it all over the serpentine belt my guess is a.c. clutch or idle pulley bearing. T he noise can go away but will be back because it is such a lite oil. Not the end of the world if some gets on the belt. If it is electronic you may have a bad ground or a accessory plugged in that is coming thru speaker some cell chargers can even do it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm I know the throttle body is noisy and seems to move and find a normal spot most anything I would try to grease or take cover off and grease the gears. Or change it probably chasing your tail unless it's hard to move or superstiff not worth messing with if it is bad it will get allot worse and lead you to it at least you are keeping a eye on it. The fuel injectors move at thousands a time a seconds and can be noisy

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I presume that your Traverse is brand new. I would bring it back to the dealer to see what they say about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is new, and I guess a “whine” is not a good way to describe it... the noise is almost like what a fuel pump sounds like, but it seems to be louder than what a “ normal” pump would be.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It happens sometimes and since it is brand new the dealer is your only choice. If they have to keep it they will give you a loaner until it is repaired if it is not normal.Give us an update on your issue.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It sounds more like and actuator moving, and not a pulley.
X2 - Auto temperature HVAC? Could be one of the HVAC door servo motors initializing or adjusting a damper.

There is also a pump that draws a vacuum on startup to test fuel tank integrity.

If you bother to go to a dealer.....first start/test ride another Traverse with the same HVAC system to see if the same noise if present.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bet it's the auxiliary vacuum pump that runs for a few seconds. Does it start when you first apply the brake? If you want to prove it out, pop the hood and listen to the metal can right behind the radiator, that's the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same problem.
I also bought LT model a month ago. Recently I noticed that such whine or high-frequency noise is generated especially when I step on gas pedal and car is just moving but gone when Car stopped.
But it happens occasionally (not always) that is why I hesitate to stop by dealer
It is a bit annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I visited dealer's service center today to fix this problem.
A service representative was already well aware of this problem.
He said that several traverse owner's visited due to this problem, and "It's normal".
For just in case, I test-drove with technician and confirmed this noise.
However, service representative and technician all said that it comes from starter and it is normal.
For my complain about how this can be normal, They said that "That is GM quality".

OK, I am not gonna buy any GM cars on the future if it is GM quality.
Just ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Does not make much sense to me. Why the starter should make a whine. I think he took you for a ride!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning, I bought my Traverse last week, and have the exact same issue. It's random, but I especially hear it when I start the car for a few minutes. It's like a high pitched tone, but goes away in a few minutes. I told my sales guy about it yesterday and he said to bring it in... Already had to bring it in for a check engine light over the weekend with less than 100 total miles on the thing. Honestly I'm not super excited about this deal right now. Seems like this car is lacking quality.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sound to me like a bearing somewhere like the alternator for exemple. You have this whine usually on a worn bearing and dissapear shortly after 30 seconds or so. Since it is a new car it is probably something else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When you first start the car and start driving it as soon as you hit about 15 mph the ABS system purges itself for a few seconds. It sounds like a little whinny pump and sometimes you can feel a little vibration on the floor. Does that sound like it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, this noise (whine or high freq. noise) is not generated when I first start and drive the car. It is generated while driving, randomly and repeatedly, and is most notable right before stopping. This noise is then gone when the car has completely stopped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Understood. Transmissions occasionally whine like that, especially sonce you say it only happens while the car is moving. How many miles are on the car and have you replaced the transmission fluid?

I would temporarily trying to disconnect the vacuum pump up at the front of the engine bay and seeing if the issue goes away. Could be that pump is running more than it should. If it is, I would check the hoses from the air intake to the brake booster to make sure there are no vacuum leaks (cracked hoses) that would cause the pump to make up for low vacuum.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My suggestion. Since your vehicle is new I would go to the dealer and road test a demo or one on the lot. If they do the same it must be normal. Otherwise tell him to give you a loaner and fix it right.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Does not make much sense to me. Why the starter should make a whine. I think he took you for a ride!!!!
Good morning, I bought my Traverse last week, and have the exact same issue. It's random, but I especially hear it when I start the car for a few minutes. It's like a high pitched tone, but goes away in a few minutes. I told my sales guy about it yesterday and he said to bring it in... Already had to bring it in for a check engine light over the weekend with less than 100 total miles on the thing. Honestly I'm not super excited about this deal right now. Seems like this car is lacking quality.
No, this noise (whine or high freq. noise) is not generated when I first start and drive the car. It is generated while driving, randomly and repeatedly, and is most notable right before stopping. This noise is then gone when the car has completely stopped.
I visited dealer's service center today to fix this problem.
A service representative was already well aware of this problem.
He said that several traverse owner's visited due to this problem, and "It's normal".
For just in case, I test-drove with technician and confirmed this noise.
However, service representative and technician all said that it comes from starter and it is normal.
For my complain about how this can be normal, They said that "That is GM quality".

OK, I am not gonna buy any GM cars on the future if it is GM quality.
Just ridiculous.

With further info looks like we're zeroing in on this whine and apparently has nothing to do with poor quality or a defect. Since we are talking about an '18 with start stop apparently it is normal and the dealer is correct. Actually a remarkable improvement to to s/s technology in the new GM systems. And here is an applicable reference to read:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8493

Relevant portion being:

Auto Stop Operation

When the vehicle is coming to a stop, just before the engine stops rotating (at approximately 50 RPM) during stop/start operation, the ECM energizes the Starter Pinion Solenoid Actuator Relay to easily push the pinion gear into the flywheel gear without gear clash. (Fig. 8) When the engine stops rotating during Stop/Start operation (Auto Stop mode), the starter pinion gear is fully engaged, ready for the starter motor to become energized to quickly start the engine again.

So it appears that the "whine" is normal and caused by the gears in the starter meshed with the flywheel by the front half of the split solenoid in the starter motor at engine speed of 50 rpm and below when is engages in preparation for an auto stop.

Turned off my always-on audio system drive to carefully listen at an auto stop cycle. And yes, one does a very low gear whine.....and I've heard a lot of whining tranny gears or fluid pump whines in my day, but this amount of noise is so little it is not even worth whining about!

I've come a long way from my first '53 Chevy 210 BelAir with 3 on-the-tree non synchro tranny, no power steering, brakes, window, A/C only options being a tube radio and single vent heater so by comparison can fully appreciate the level of excellence, convenience and options in the Traverse and similar level competitive rides. If the current generation of new Traverse owners were to drive, or attempt to drive, a '53 Chevy for five minutes or five miles the administrator would need another server to handle the all complaint posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Thomcat,

Thank you for your information.

Today, I revisited Dealer's service center and tested another traverse (exactly same model) with sales representative. We both confirmed that this high pitched noise (whine?) is not generated from other test car and He also agreed that this noise is unusual.
As mentioned earlier, this noise comes "randomly and repeatedly while driving", (most notable right before stopping though). That is why I doubt this noise is related to starter. And this noise is NOT so little.
Technician tested again with me but he just kept saying it is normal. It is funny and I am really frustrated because he said normal but he didn't know where this noise comes from and why it is normal.

After service representative recognized other traverse in store does not have such noise, service man accepted my request - further investigation and contacting GM to resolve this problem.
They asked me to bring back my car next week for this.

I will update the next status.
BTW, They asked me to leave my car all day next week for further investigation but refused a loaner for me (they said because it is not a repair job). Is it normal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts